The Difference Between Them and Us.

... operated a nuclear reactor, drove a submarine to the North Pole. But life has pounded any trace of superiority and condenscension out of me. There is no “us”and “them”. Just us.

If you think all of “us” have any say over whether “they” build nuclear submarines on massive debt backed by our work, and money taken upon threat of incarceration... for their never ending wars... fighting mostly dictators their own spies put in power...

Well anyway. Not buying that crap. There’s most certainly non-equals among us. We don’t get a vote of “none of the above” and they all know it.

To the main point I wonder if the problem is with the OP, not the kid? Reason I ask is I would say all the kids I have taken flying over the years have seemed at least interested, some have been very engaged, and a few have pestered me with questions days after! I think being taken flying in a Cub where you sit fore and aft is very different from a plane where you sit side by side, in the first it is more of a ride, you sit isolated while a voice over a headset talks at you. In the second you can be much more engaged. A lot of times I will force engagement by handing him or her a sectional and asking them to help me navigate. They love that.

To the main point I wonder if the problem is with the OP, not the kid? Reason I ask is I would say all the kids I have taken flying over the years have seemed at least interested, some have been very engaged, and a few have pestered me with questions days after! I think being taken flying in a Cub where you sit fore and aft is very different from a plane where you sit side by side, in the first it is more of a ride, you sit isolated while a voice over a headset talks at you. In the second you can be much more engaged. A lot of times I will force engagement by handing him or her a sectional and asking them to help me navigate. They love that.

Considering the OP holds a CFI rating, I’m pretty sure...

He can hand them the entire aircraft and let them attempt to kill him like every other student. No need to limit it to sectional reading.

Also the passenger wasn’t a kid. Full grown adult nurse.

You may need to reread the story. You sure we’re talking about the same OP and same initial post on the thread here?

No. There is no them vs us.
Considering the OP holds a CFI rating, I’m pretty sure...

He can hand them the entire aircraft and let them attempt to kill him like every other student. No need to limit it to sectional reading.

Also the passenger wasn’t a kid. Full grown adult nurse.

You may need to reread the story. You sure we’re talking about the same OP and same initial post on the thread here?
My goodness Denver... I cringe at “CFI rating”.
Yikes. Commercial rating is bad enough, but CFI is a completely independent certificate. Not even a pilot certificate.

But I’m sure you knew that....

No. There is no them vs us.

My goodness Denver... I cringe at “CFI rating”.
Yikes. Commercial rating is bad enough, but CFI is a completely independent certificate. Not even a pilot certificate.

But I’m sure you knew that....

You cringed at something rather pointless in terms of the point being made. Congrats.

“He has a little green card that says Flight Instructor on it.” Happy?

I agree that there is no them and us. The only thing “we” have in common is that we have learned more about a certain subject matter than the rest of the public. There are plenty of subjects that don’t interest me, and I’m sure I would sound equally as stupid when discussing them.

I completely understood the “broom stick thingy”. Does that make me an “us” or a “them”:cool:?

The single best class I ever took was “Organizational Behavior” in graduate business school. That is a fancy name for applied psychology. As an Engineer, I never understood why “them” failed to understand my brilliant logic until I learned “them” think differently, not better or worse, just differently. After that class, communication with Finance, Contracts, Logisticians, etc. and yes, even non-pilots and other Engineers from different disciplines was vastly improved.

Probably the best compliment I ever received was when I asked my Boss why he selected me for a very difficult position to help salvage the C-17 program. He said, because you’re an Engineer but you don’t think like one.

So if you really want to communicate with “them”, it can be done if you understand how they think. I must admit that sometimes fails utterly as an ex girlfriend will testify.

Cheers

With a young newby one has to start with the very basics. For me, that would be short of a ‘carb ice’ discussion.

How about something simple, like how runways are numbered?

I gave a talk to a bunch of Cub Scouts one time about flying and explained how runways are numbered and all the mothers (cub scouting is run by the mothers generally), they were all very surprised and appreciative to know.

I gave a talk to a bunch of Cub Scouts one time about flying and explained how runways are numbered and all the mothers (cub scouting is run by the mothers generally), they were all very surprised and appreciative to know.

:needpics:
Pics or it didn't happen! ;)

RF burns suck.

They do, indeed.

If it’s United then I don’t pay much ‘tention to what the FAs do as they move around in their walkers. Has anyone other than pilots been fed on a domestic flight in the past 10 years?

Well, I was going to say that I got a meal on an EWR-SFO flight on UA earlier this month, but I'm a pilot. Wrong kind for UA and they didn't ask, nor was I the only one who got a meal on that flight, so I suspect that being a pilot had nothing to do with it. So, yes, I have been fed on a domestic flight this month.

Back when our son was in Cub Scouts (early 1980s) I was the Assistant Cubmaster and then Cubmaster. Even then I maintained that there should be an additional leadership position, which I called the Cubmaster MC. My wife did all the dirty work, I just stood up at Pack meetings and ran the meeting. I doubt that BSA has caught up with that reality yet.

Yikes... didn’t think you would take it so personally.

Hey now, we don't call him "grumpy Nate" in front of him for naught!

ps...actually it "naughty Nate" :rofl:

Long story. Let’s just say someone annoyed me that day about something similar long before your post, and leave it at that. Not here. In “real” life.

Way more annoying than your “certificate” vs “rating” vs whatever thingy.

It just triggered me and I was just being a little snowflake. A rare sighting. Nate playing snowflake. LOL. It even felt wrong. :) :) :)

Long story. Let’s just say someone annoyed me that day about something similar long before your post, and leave it at that. Not here. In “real” life.

Way more annoying than your “certificate” vs “rating” vs whatever thingy.

It just triggered me and I was just being a little snowflake. A rare sighting. Nate playing snowflake. LOL. It even felt wrong. :) :) :)

Sent you something for your snow flakey thing Nate.

Well, I was going to say that I got a meal on an EWR-SFO flight on UA earlier this month, but I'm a pilot. Wrong kind for UA and they didn't ask, nor was I the only one who got a meal on that flight, so I suspect that being a pilot had nothing to do with it. So, yes, I have been fed on a domestic flight this month.
I've been served a meal on a couple of California to Hawaii flights within the past year, but maybe that's stretching the definition of "domestic". I've yet to have a good airline meal, even on a number of longer international flights. I'm not picky about food, but I find airline meals pretty inedible.

Sent you something for your snow flakey thing Nate.

Scotch? :)

I’ll look for whatever it is. :)

I just cooked up a mess of baked chicken coated in seasoned breadcrumbs, some au gratin potatoes, some new potatoes with butter, parmesan, and spices, some (admittedly boxed) stroganoff.

Small amounts of each (taste testing is required, no?) and one chicken breast are happily in my tummy, and the rest is in the fridge for lunches and stuff this week.

Dishwasher is running, watched couple more LA to Vegas episodes on the tube, and there’s already an inch of snow on everything outside in the wind. Dog had to go out. He didn’t stay out long! LOL.

And I flew today and the airplane is back in the hangar in one piece. Life is good.

I could hear the DG gyro making some little noises on the ground and it’s been precessing a little bit lately. I suspect it’s not long for this world, but we shall see.

Maybe it’ll hang out and precess it’s way through the summer. Or it’ll flop over dead during my -II training or ride. Who knows. But that would be par for the course around here!

Always something. Something good, something bad. Might as well smile.

That reminds me. I didn’t get those receipt scans for the taxes done. Oh well, off to go do that now. And to figure out all the business mileage from the GPS tracker for last year.

Always something!

(LA to Vegas the scene where Captain Steve doesn’t have a mustache anymore... LOL. So funny. “Your barren undernose!”)

Scotch? :)

I could hear the DG gyro making some little noises on the ground and it’s been precessing a little bit lately. I suspect it’s not long for this world, but we shall see.

Maybe it’ll hang out and precess it’s way through the summer. Or it’ll flop over dead during my -II training or ride. Who knows.

It probably has something to do with Daylight Saving Time.

Cheers

I've yet to have a good airline meal, even on a number of longer international flights. I'm not picky about food, but I find airline meals pretty inedible.

I would generally agree. Except Emirates. Flew them to Dubai, then connected to Chennai, India. But the LAX to Dubai flight in biz class (company paying) had surprisingly good food on real plates, fine selection of dessert, and a pretty solid selection of booze. Hmmm... maybe I was swayed by the booze. ;)

I've been served a meal on a couple of California to Hawaii flights within the past year, but maybe that's stretching the definition of "domestic". I've yet to have a good airline meal, even on a number of longer international flights. I'm not picky about food, but I find airline meals pretty inedible.

California to Hawaii is definitely domestic. Heck, I've sat in planes longer on trans-continental flights. What airline were you riding? UA sure doesn't feed cargo in cattle car anything other than non-alcoholic beverages and a "snack" for free.

I agree completely about the "meals" on international flights. They leave something to be desired, but they beat not having anything at all. Business class meals, on the other hand, are nothing to complain about. Those two years I was a 1K and had the global upgrade certificates were nice. Oh well...

California to Hawaii is definitely domestic. Heck, I've sat in planes longer on trans-continental flights. What airline were you riding? UA sure doesn't feed cargo in cattle car anything other than non-alcoholic beverages and a "snack" for free.

I agree completely about the "meals" on international flights. They leave something to be desired, but they beat not having anything at all. Business class meals, on the other hand, are nothing to complain about. Those two years I was a 1K and had the global upgrade certificates were nice. Oh well...
This was on Hawaiian Airlines.

As far as meals in business class go, I’ve never sat anywhere except the cheap seats. I guess I was in first once, on a Q400, but the only way I could tell was that they offered a drink before they closed the door.

I don't recommend riding the airlines for 100,000+ miles in a year just to get upgrades to what UA called Business First, but if you have to park your rear in one of their seats for that many miles, it is nice. Of course, now you have to spend some insane amount on those tickets, in addition to riding 100,000+ miles. Not going to happen again.

Back