Guy descending into me.

ATC calling traffic doesn't mean there will be a conflict, it's usually an advisory. If there is a conflict, they will advise you. However, like the example cited here, it was the Mooney changing altitude after being advised of the opposite traffic (both initially at appropriate altitudes) that CAUSED the potential conflict. When you're getting flight following, you far better off following their advice that initiating something on your own. Fortunately ADS-In helps avoid conflicts. If you don't have it yet, get it.

That's why my buddy (long time friend and 10,000+ ATP) says he usually request cruising altitude as 10,128' or so. When ATC queries, he explains it is a good safe altitude. The exchange usually ends with: "I have never seen anyone fly at 10,128', sir" - "Exactly!" :)

Be vigilant and be safe out there. See & avoid. Always.

That's why my buddy (long time friend and 10,000+ ATP) says he usually request cruising altitude as 10,128' or so. When ATC queries, he explains it is a good safe altitude. The exchange usually ends with: "I have never seen anyone fly at 10,128', sir" - "Exactly!" :)

Be vigilant and be safe out there. See & avoid. Always.

ATC can’t assign 10,128 ft for enroute. They’re required to assign odd 1,000 ft altitudes east and even 1,000 ft altitudes west at or below FL410. This provides the required 1,000 ft seperation between IFRs.

Last edited:
I always worry about this sort of thing flying under a Charlie or Bravo. Traffic gets so compressed. Especially bad under the Chicago Bravo on the way to Oshkosh.
That' why from KPIA I'd go OVER the bravo to go to OSH. You can too. Your Mooney will easily do it (think OUTSIDE the box!).

From 1C5- not so much.

That' why from KPIA I'd go OVER the bravo to go to OSH. You can too. Your Mooney will easily do it (think OUTSIDE the box!).

From 1C5- not so much.
I have done it, though it has to be clear of clouds for it to work. It was a long climb in the Cherokee, not so much in the Mooney. When I get the IR it won’t be such a deal, though I suspect they’ll route me far to the west of the Bravo. Biggest problem going over the top is the headwinds.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back