Shop to reseal a Cessna wet wing

clarkmueller

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Clark
Hey POA-ers, I have a wet wing 1979 Cessna T210N. Based on a visual inspection of my fuel tanks, my A&P has suggested that I plan on having the tanks stripped and re-sealed sometime in the next year or so. I know there's shops that specialize in this task. I've located a few in the central/eastern US. I'm hoping there's an option closer to home (California), but somewhere where labor is cheaper, like Arizona. Does anyone have a recommendation? Thanks!

Maybe you could get a package deal with @ktup-flyer and his 182 wet wings...or at least I’m guessing he may have already researched this in prep for his repair later in the year.

I'm going to try to get Paul New (TN) to do mine, assuming that's what is causing the leak. It's not a consistent leak.... really weird.

I have a 182Q with a right wing leaking, I tried Weep no More but after 10 phone calls and no reply from Paul Beck I was recomennded Tom's Aircraft in Long beach, does anyone have any comment or deal with Tom's AIrcraft?

I have a 182Q with a right wing leaking, I tried Weep no More but after 10 phone calls and no reply from Paul Beck I was recomennded Tom's Aircraft in Long beach, does anyone have any comment or deal with Tom's AIrcraft?

Tom's is reputable, but it ain't gonna be inexpensive.

You said you have a "Q", which year? '77 and 78 are a bladder tank, '79 and '80 are wet wing. If you have a bladder tank, any decent A&P with 182 experience should be able to handle a bladder change. It isn't fun, but it isn't technically challenging.

Jeff

We have a 182H with bladders. Right side leaks when topped. Mechanic notice the filler neck was loose. Tightened it down - improved slightly. they are replacing the gaskets on Monday. Fingers crossed it stops the leak. If not then if she top of the bladder. Ugh. Heard not technically hard just time consuming and PItA.

Heh, I got all excited that someone else was looking for the same thing I was, and then I realized this is my thread! I still haven't gotten mine done; Tennessee is a bit farther than I want to go for this one... but I will probably just have my local A&P do it during my annual this year and be done with it.

Hi Clark,

Did your A&P offer an Estimate? We have the same issue...

Thanks,
G

where is it leaking? I had a small leak found it easy. You will need a shop vac with some vacuum hose's , soap and water in a small spray bottle and a clear piece of plastic. Drain the tank of all fuel then take the top tank access plate off, allow tank to air out, hook shop vac up to your vent line, my 68 is vented to the same wing tip. I believe later models vent to opposite wing tips. get a piece of clear plastic big enough to cover the top tank access plate. mix up some soppy water in a small spray bottle. Spray inside of tank with soppy water, tape plastic window over access plate, pull vacuum with shop vac look into the tank through the access window and look for the bubbles. then seal with recommended tank sealant. IA and I did this a couple of years ago to my tank took all of a about 4 hours. The Mooney web site has a lot of information on this. Cessna wings are put together wet, while Mooney's where put together dry then sealed.

c177tx, I have a '68 Cardinal with leaking tanks and need to pick your mind. I'm rebuilding my plane and the tanks sat full of water for too long.

Strip and resealing is a waste of time and money, just repair and move on.

There are thousands of transport category aircraft all over the world with integral tanks and sealant, they are never completely stripped and resealed, just repaired as necessary.

I thought I'd provide an update on our particular situation. And it's not a great one :)

The years of various shops chasing (badly) this leak created so much buildup of sealant layers inside the tank that it rendered the lower skin of the tank unusable. Attempts to strip this mess out failed completely. We had to have the entire skin, stringers, and some internal structure fabricated from scratch (Textron wouldn't sell the parts and no donor wings were available). The cost was... substantial.

So the good news is, no more leaks. The bad news is that I'm broke now :D And the caution here is to be careful 'repairing' these leaks. You can do more harm than good and never actually fix the issue. If the tank was left mostly unharmed, the work to disassemble, clean, and reseal was something like $9,000 per side. The fix we needed was multiples of that.

I have in mind to some day send out my wings to Airframe Components for rebuild to remove corrosion and fix any other problems that may lurk. I wonder if the tanks would be sealed anew during the rebuild process. I will call eventually to find out.

A leak just seems like one more problem waiting to happen since the last reseal was decades ago.

Back