Fuel Hose Fitting Corrosion

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
So I am changing the engine driven fuel pump on my O-320-E3D. I figured I would also change the fuel hoses as well. I took the fire sleeve off one of the hoses to gather any information on what type of hose was originally used.This is what I found on one of the hoses after removing the fire sleeve.

IMG_1142.JPG IMG_1141.JPG

You can see the bulge in the fire sleeve. That were the corrosion was, corrosion caused the sleeve to expand. None of the IA's or myself caught this corrosion until I removed the hose and took the fire sleeve off. This hose goes from the fire wall to the fuel pump.

Thought I would post for all you out there that are flying 40 year old planes.

Gotta agree that changing hoses periodically is a good idea. Just don’t know the period. :)

I changed all engine compartment fuel and oil hoses a couple years after purchase of the ‘kota. Changed all the brake system hoses a couple years after that. That leaves the fuel hoses in the wings to change some day...

Any wonder the PA-28s have an AD on these old hoses?

The corrosion environment that some aircraft see is unbelievable for some of us in low corrosion areas!:eek:

I haven't seen that old style of fire sleeve in a long time. Must be one very old hose.

Any wonder the PA-28s have an AD on these old hoses?
Yah Tom, I think it's totally on me with this one. Looks OK, RUN it. Always chasing other issues or upgrades. Lessen Learned.

I haven't seen that old style of fire sleeve in a long time. Must be one very old hose.
I'll need to check log book, might be original...

Yah Tom, I think it's totally on me with this one. Looks OK, RUN it. Always chasing other issues or upgrades. Lessen Learned.
Well actually the AD is on Oil cooler hoses. At least you were legal with an old fuel hose .. :)

Back