iPad v. iPad mini for flight?

Again, not the same, but a newer, larger iPhoneX is about to be announced, allegedly with about a 6.5” screen.

iPhone-X-Plus-780x536.jpg

Based on my use of a 6+ and now an X running WingXPro7, this could maybe bridge the gap if the iPad Mini is in fact history. Though a Mini4 bought or owned now should be serviceable for at least a few more years.

Again, not the same, but a newer, larger iPhoneX is about to be announced, allegedly with about a 6.5” screen.

Based on my use of a 6+ and now an X running WingXPro7, this could maybe bridge the gap if the iPad Mini is in fact history. Though a Mini4 bought or owned now should be serviceable for at least a few more years.

I have the X and even that screen is bigger than a Garmin 430. Obviously a bigger screen is better but you could easily use the X or even a Galaxy for navigation/situational awareness. Heck, back in the day we used those portables and those screens weren't all that big (I still have my iPaq and Anywhere Map). But the new iPhone you're talking about is right up there in iPad mini territory for size.

The big phones are bigger than the screen on my 650. :)

Yeah. That's why I don't understand it when some pilots say 'My phone is too small'. Unless of course they actually have a small phone. :D

I think the key is to view the iPhone as a window into a much larger virtual screen.

What I mean is, here’s the view of my typical flight up to my Lenoir City airport:

39034676280_23c2a6abfb_c.jpg

Let’s say enroute I want to get the info for KTYS. Two fingers scroll and zoom and...

39034676220_ba1fd4b890_c.jpg

(note: if you go to zoom in on these images, IRL the image is infinitely sharper than the resolution here)

In any case, my last several flights I’ve taken my IPad Mini along, tucked under my leg. Both as a backup, and to maybe use for flight planning on the ground. I have yet to feel a need to dig it out in flight.

Last edited:

I wish Garmin would resize the screen to take up the whole available area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bash Apple? Sure. I’m on my 4th iPhone upgrade. 3GS, 5C, 6S+, and now 8. I would rather have my 5C than this 8. It’s a glitchy mofo and totally not what Apple used to be about. The start of going downhill as far as I’m concerned (may take a decade, but the hill has been crested).

I use my 6S+ without cell service for yoke use, a regular size WiFi only iPad as a sectional and AFD and playing with reroutes (sits in the passenger seat or for my wife to follow along with, and my 8 as a backup with FltPlanGo if ever needed.

Is it Velcro’s to your leg? Why not remove it and toss it in the back seat as you’re approaching the pattern? I typically fly with a small knee board but that thing gets tossed in the back once I no longer need it.
Yes. Velco'ed using a custom ipad pro 10.5 kneeboard I got from Sporty's. I do remove it before entering the pattern, but it's a hassle.

Easier to just bash Apple everywhere at any opportunity. They deserve it at this point. $1300 for a phone that doesn’t do anything better than the competition at $700.

Apple may not check many more boxes in the brochure, but to say it doesn’t do anything better than the competition is ridiculous.

I’d love to get together with someone who has the latest Samsung and do a more comprehensive side-by-side comparison, but point 1 in Apple’s favor is the facial recognition to unlock. It works amazingly well, and amazingly fast. A friend of mine with the latest Samsung was showing it to me and its biometric security was awful.

Apple may not check many more boxes in the brochure, but to say it doesn’t do anything better than the competition is ridiculous.

I’d love to get together with someone who has the latest Samsung and do a more comprehensive side-by-side comparison, but point 1 in Apple’s favor is the facial recognition to unlock. It works amazingly well, and amazingly fast. A friend of mine with the latest Samsung was showing it to me and its biometric security was awful.

The S9 is dual sensor iris and facial recognition at the same time and instantaneous. Apple is still playing catch-up. They have been solidly behind since the Note 8 release. And higher priced. By many hundreds of dollars.

If you want to see it in action, pull up the Flossy Carter S9 unboxing video on YT. He’ll have a full review out in a few more days. Plus, he’s more fun to watch than the usual nerds on YT. Shout out to White Shoes in da building. :)

I switched to the iPhone X after years of Android because they finally changed the design and in the past year I have started flying again and using Foreflight on my iPad and wanted to have it on my phone too. The don't have FF for Android. My facial recognition works about 75% of the time. If FF made and Android version I'd switch back to a Note. I just like Android and it's customization a lot better (iOS has NO customization. it's the reason I switched to Android from the iPhone 4s in the first place in addition to wanting a larger screen). But, I'm not as emotionally attached to my phone and the whole Android vs iOS as I used to be. So having an iPhone is fine. I will say for sure the Android had better connection though.

The tread title is:

PLEASE start a separate thread for this hijack.

Seems like obsessive behavior though, so I'm not holding out much hope.

It should be noted that I’m not attached to anything either. I review this stuff just like I reviewed it back in the 8-bit days before AMPS. So I sound emotional.

Current phone is the old iPhone 6 Plus. Got it replaced completely for $120 which was a lot better than buying ANY of the new stuff. I’ll flog every dollar of value out of anything I buy until I can’t anymore.

But Apple is definitely chasing the top end under Cook. They have sales and rabid fans, but they’re not the leading edge and haven’t been for quite a while now.

Standard Apple fan response is that they’re NEVER leading edge, and they make sure “stuff works” before going there, but that’s patently false. They led on Iphone, and led on MacBook and iMac, and led for sure on iPod long ago (The Diamond RIO and friends weren’t exactly devices that were going to stand the test of time...) and the others chased. Zune? LOL. As one example.

But they’re chasing now. Some of the most important opponents of their device is made with Samsung parts! LOL. Their investment in LG is waaaaay behind schedule.

Will they move back on top? Who knows. My money is on no, under Cook. He’s a logistics guy. Not a visionary. And Samsung has been playing the Microsoft game for a very long time. (Take someone else’s idea, copy it, and make it better and cheaper to produce.)

As a pilot, I know I’m stuck with iOS for the most part. And that’s sad. But as a non-pilot, Apple’s price tag on the X is too high for what it is. Knock $300 off and it’s still higher than Google and the Pixel 2 series isn’t really that far behind the X.

One of the things that keeps the big names on top is US carriers and their phone certification BS and financing games. The same Samsung phone off of Samsung.com activated on a US carrier is $50 cheaper than through the carrier direct, AND the carrier mandates you buy it on payments AND you must have one of their unlimited plans.

( Only T-Mobile sells the Samsung units at Samsung.com’s price. Fair warning for anyone buying Samsung. Buy it direct.)

It’s just fun to analyze the tech trends. Been doing it since before the StarTac. Which was a great phone by the way, but Nokia had Motorola beat back then, too. That didn’t last.

Nokia is pitiful today but their announcement that they’ll participate in Google’s Android programs to keep their devices UP TO DATE on Android (a serious problem in the Android world) is mildly interesting. Would be nice if Samsung and Lenovo would get on that bandwagon.

Anybody want a Blackberry? LOL.

The tread title is:

PLEASE start a separate thread for this hijack.

Seems like obsessive behavior though, so I'm not holding out much hope.

The original topic was covered completely long ago.

Mini is dead, long live Mini. Apple may likely kill it and hasn’t updated it in processor or RAM in a long time.

But it’s the best size. The rest are all annoyingly bigger. :)

How does the iPad handle the vibrations and what mounts do your recommend and to avoid?
Thank you.

I do recommend the MyGoFlight mounting systems. They will contort in any direction. I have a 9.7 ipad sitting on my yoke in a Grumman tiger and they have tiny yokes.. unfortunately they are expensive

Last edited:
How does the iPad handle the vibrations and what mounts do your recommend and to avoid?
Thank you.

I’ve always used Ram mounts. Both airplane and cars. The X-grip style works well on the mini size. Can’t speak for if it gets jumpy on larger Crapple (the name for Apple under Cook) sizes.

After doing some SERIOUS research, it seems like the Mini's days are numbered as Apple is really not so much interested in what it sold as to what it can be selling now. That is, Apple legacy support sucks.

Given that finding, what is the SMALLEST current or recently passed iCrap that can be had? The elderly 182s don't have a lot of panel room to throw away.

Thanks,

Jim

I use the Ipad in a Cirrus (side stick) and a 172. No problem hitting the ipad with the yolk, although I'm mainly flying the Cirrus now.

My yoke is very narrow compared to Cessna’s, I can make a 9.7 fit between and not cover instruments using mygoflight yoke Mount. Ain’t cheap though

I had a mini, loved it, but sometimes it was a little small for a quick glance. I traded it in for a 10.5” Pro. The difference is amazing, and while it definitely feels bigger it’s really not much different than having a paper chart folded up on the kneeboard. Easily stays clear of the yoke, and the non-glare screen on the Pro has kept me from having to buy a screen protector.

I had a mini, loved it, but sometimes it was a little small for a quick glance. I traded it in for a 10.5” Pro. The difference is amazing, and while it definitely feels bigger it’s really not much different than having a paper chart folded up on the kneeboard. Easily stays clear of the yoke, and the non-glare screen on the Pro has kept me from having to buy a screen protector.

Do you yoke mount it? If so, what plane and what yoke mount to you use?

Back