St. Pats: How do you like your corned beef and cabbage?

How do you like your corned beef&cabbage on St Pats day?

• Boiled corned beef

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Steamed corned beef

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Baked/roasted/broiled corned beef

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Smoked corned beef

• Fried corned beef

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Boiled cabbage

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Steamed cabbage

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Fried cabbage

• Cole slaw

• Total voters

asicer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
asicer
Also, how much $$/lb is corned beef near you?

Not sure of the price yet, but I'll probably find out later today. I might try a crock-pot version this time.

I no longer eat corned beef (or any beef for that matter). My favorite way to eat cabbage is in my own homemade sauerkraut.

I had some a few months ago in Destin FL at McGuire's Irish Pub. A ton of it, couldn't finish it all, but it was very good.

https://www.mcguiresirishpub.com/

images

Last edited:
Never really cared much for cabbage unless it’s sauerkraut. As far as the corned beef goes, the crockpot cooks it the best. Other than that I usually just eat it lunch meat style on sandwiches.

IMG_3852.JPG
I like crock pot corned beef. 8 1/2 hours on low, over onion and celery. I used to bake it but it's too salty for me that way.

@Sac Arrow - if I can get a CB today, that's what I'll do tomorrow, if I don't have other plans I don't know about yet.

@Sac Arrow - if I can get a CB today, that's what I'll do tomorrow, if I don't have other plans I don't know about yet.

That was from a couple weeks ago. I got my corned beef for tomorrow yesterday. I was looking for one over four pounds, but I decided to settle on 3.8 pounds rather than risk being left with the small picks on St. Patrick's day.

I know, I could have just got two smaller ones right. I noticed rounds were cheaper than flats ($2.97/lb for the good stuff and $1.77 for the cheap stuff) vs. $3.97. That is fine however, because I like rounds better.

Ruben, Corky and Lenny's Chagrin Blvd. In Cleveland. Worth every penny of the 12.95 it costs!!!! Try to stop whenever I am traveling through OH.

ruben_zpsqbvoyttb.jpg

View attachment 61007
I like crock pot corned beef. 8 1/2 hours on low, over onion and celery. I used to bake it but it's too salty for me that way.
Definitely the best way to cook it. If it’s baked incorrectly it makes the meat too dry.

That would sure make a good Reuben!

Knock knock

Who's there?

Irish!

Irish who?

Irish you a happy St Paddy's day!

corny as corned beef

Kosher and on a kaiser - a REAL kaiser that you can't get anywhere other than NY and Chicago - with a kosher dill pickle and fixins'

This one is killing me. I gave up red meat for lent.

No Corned Beef and Cabbage (with a stout in the boil) for me this year. :(

How do you like your corned beef and cabbage?

In the trash can, thank you.....:eek::lol::lol:

How do you like your corned beef and cabbage?

In the trash can, thank you.....:eek::lol::lol:
Agree with you on the cabbage, it should be eaten fresh rather than murdered by vinegar, steam, or boiling water.

But wait a minute, cole slaw has cabbage in it.
Fresh cabbage in cole slaw is muy bueno. It’s the murdered stuff I don’t like. Think of the children!

I like my corned beef without the cabbage.

That was from a couple weeks ago. I got my corned beef for tomorrow yesterday. I was looking for one over four pounds, but I decided to settle on 3.8 pounds rather than risk being left with the small picks on St. Patrick's day.

I know, I could have just got two smaller ones right. I noticed rounds were cheaper than flats ($2.97/lb for the good stuff and $1.77 for the cheap stuff) vs. $3.97. That is fine however, because I like rounds better.
I just got orders - it's going to be Reubens tomorrow. "I don't know if Reubens are traditional or not, but that's how I like my corned beef."

I might wait until after St Pat's and get one on sale.

Lots of people give up different things for Lent. i recommend giving up celibacy and sobriety. :biggrin:
If pressed, it would have to be either chocolate or flying for Lent. But then, I don't observe Lent so it's not an issue.

It has to be grey corned beef. Going to be eating it for three days in a row.

Great place! Another Destin favorite is just around the corner, Dewey's Destin. Great seafood dive joint.

Think we go there too, sit on the dock overlooking Crab Island? (west of Destin Pass) If so, yes, good grubs there and COLD beer.

I plan on having a ruben from a jewish deli, German potato salad, and an India Pale Ale on a day celebrating an Irish catholic priest. It's the American thing to do.

I plan on having a ruben from a jewish deli, German potato salad, and an India Pale Ale on a day celebrating an Irish catholic priest. It's the American thing to do.

I figured you'd be eating at the local Chinese restaurant, unless you're wife makes it better.

I figured you'd be eating at the local Chinese restaurant, unless you're wife makes it better.

Well, I left out that I would be sharing said meal with my Chinese wife and my part Australian Cattle Dog and part American Staffordshire Terrier pup. I didn't want to appear to be overly multi-cultural. I do live in the southeast after all.

Well, I left out that I would be sharing said meal with my Chinese wife and my part Australian Cattle Dog and part American Staffordshire Terrier pup. I didn't want to appear to be overly multi-cultural. I do live in the southeast after all.

I meant her cooking Chinese vs a Chinese restaurant. Had an Air Force buddy who married a Chinese woman and had me over for dinner. Man his wife cooked up a grand meal, better than any Chinese restaurant I've been to.

My favorite way to eat cabbage is in my own homemade sauerkraut.

I've been making homemade kraut over the past year. Very simple and tasty! I've also corned whole briskets myself instead of buying the slimy prepared ones in a bag. Again, quite simple. The hardest thing about homemade kraut and corned brisket is waiting for the magic to happen.

Eating Corn beef and cabbage for a celebration is like celebrating poverty.

I prefer the corn fresh and on the cob.

The beef should be in the form of a ribeye, medium rare.

The cabbage should be coleslaw, of course.

The Guinness in a tall glass.

I meant her cooking Chinese vs a Chinese restaurant. Had an Air Force buddy who married a Chinese woman and had me over for dinner. Man his wife cooked up a grand meal, better than any Chinese restaurant I've been to.

She’s a decent cook but doesn’t cook Chinese all that often.

Yes. All of the above. But no cole slaw.

Local grocery store has the bagged/brined corned beef flats for $3.99, marked down from $5.99.

Back