JPI EDM 730 vs EDM 830

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino
Apologies in advance for the flood of topics I'm going to be starting in the next few days as I try and finalise my decision on my panel upgrades...

I currently have a JPI EDM-730 with fuel flow installed. I've been quoted ~$2300 to buy and install all the additional sensors (MP, RPM, OAT, Oil P, Oil T) to upgrade this to the EDM-830 configuration.

My current thinking is that it's not really worth it. The only change would be that I'd then have those parameters displayed on the screen, in addition to being displayed on the existing gauges. Is there something I'm missing..? I really want to make sure that I'm getting a worthwhile increase in capability for the money I spend and this is an area that I don't see giving much "bang for the buck".

For me it’s been a question of reliability of the mechanical gauges vs the electronic display. I’ve been converting to electronic in piecemeal fashion. Some days I wished that I had just bitten the bullet and gotten things done.

Unless you replace with the 930 you still require the analogs, as you pointed out. To me, doesn't seem worth it to upgrade to the 830. Have you talked with JPI about an upgrade price for the 930?

I have an 830. The main benefits I see are the fact that it displays percent horsepower for you without having to do any calculations. The other advantage to me is the flashing you get when a parameter is out of whack, and certainly oil pressure and temperature would be nice to know about early. One other final comment is that I've had two mechanical tach failures while my JPI kept on working.

The 830 has been amazing for us. It has helped us diagnose a couple issues, one was a pinched wire on the #3 cylinder. The data that it records gets uploaded to Savvy Analysis so we can try to figure out how to manage the engine better for longevity (at 2335 since TBO). What is interesting is the degradation of the mechanical instruments over time. We do still have analogs but I forgot where they are located.

Our club was looking at the 830 for our Skylane. Did read correctly that the analog MP/RPM must still be in the panel (and working)? I thought someone told me it was a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our club was looking at the 830 for our Skylane. Did read correctly that the analog MP/RPM must still be in the panel (and working)? I thought someone told me it was a replacement.

You need a 930 to get rid of the analog gauges.

Attachments

• IMG_0343.JPG
    IMG_0343.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 48
Actually, you only need a 900 to get rid of the analog gauges.

Have 830 and love it

Upgraded a 700 to an 830 and loved all the extra data. I had every sensor possible for an O-360. The various extra sensors were all useful in flight, nice to have but not required or even necessary, but their value was the extra data when troubleshooting by looking at downloaded data.

I've pretty much decided to add at least RPM and MP to what I currently have.

Is it worth adding Oil T&P, and OAT?

For Oil T&P I'm not sure if they fluctuate subtly enough to help with troubleshooting - if it's a case of "if something goes wrong with them they blow off the charts" then the factory gauges would do fine.

OAT only seems to be used for HP calculation which I could live without - but, is there a way to tie it into the Garmin G5 and get TAS displayed?

I saw on another site that Garmin folks were going to look at using OAT and IAS to show TAS on GTN.

Could be, but rt now there isn’t anything. Needs air data computer for GNS, and I suspect for GTN as well. I wish G5 had an option to show TAS.... may be down the road

Unless you replace with the 930 you still require the analogs, as you pointed out. To me, doesn't seem worth it to upgrade to the 830. Have you talked with JPI about an upgrade price for the 930?

What’s the difference between the 900 and 930?

I did speak to JPI, they say there's no upgrade path. You just have to buy a new setup and ditch the old one.

So - what is the collective opinion on adding the Oil P & Oil T sensors? Worth the cost? Probably about $800 with parts and labour...

So - what is the collective opinion on adding the Oil P & Oil T sensors? Worth the cost? Probably about $800 with parts and labour...
i have oil temp and oil P sensors with 830, never look at the stock gauges anymore. JPI often runs specials and promotions on their unit, wait till u see one. for what its worth, my installation was 26 hrs for 830

Back