Bow down to your Russian overlords

Flying_Nun

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying_Nun
Without being specific, officials in the FBI, Department of Homeland Security and intelligence agencies said Russia broke into computer systems and conducted “network reconnaissance” of critical control elements, then attempted to cover their tracks by deleting evidence of the hacking.

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/DHS-Russia-Hacking-US-ATC-230447-1.html

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So *that* is why more of my flights are showing up on Flight Aware...

In mother Russia, computers hack YOU!

* please speak like Yakov Smirnov in your head

I wonder what we're doing to them.

No need to wonder. The exact same crap. Probably worse.

Of course that part always gets left out of the story.

“Everybody just be scared” seems to be the order of the day. That Russians log into poorly designed and secured garbage like cheap SCADA control systems that shouldn’t be anywhere near or attached to anything on a public IP network, would be zero surprise at all from anyone in the network security biz.

DoD and others must need more funding for their cyber games. Or something. Time for a nice Russkie scare again. Paid for a lot of really expense crap the last time.

BTW the vast majority of my unwanted traffic on my many public systems is still from China. The Russkies may be spoofing addresses of course, but it’s way too much and from too many IPs associated with China to not be true.

Be at least a LITTLE skeptical about this crap, folks.

The government could tell you we were all cyberattacked by Canada and they’re coming for our precious bodily fluids, and without raw logs traceable via forensically approved gathering and copying procedures, delivered to you sealed up, who the hell could audit any of it and know?

Secrets and lies. Always wonder why a government agency tasked with security would mention a damned thing about a security breach. They have zero good reason to do that. You literally don’t have a “need to know”. Nor do I. Someone wanted Russia to hear about this in the press. The question is, why.

Secrets and lies. Always wonder why a government agency tasked with security would mention a damned thing about a security breach. They have zero good reason to do that. You literally don’t have a “need to know”. Nor do I. Someone wanted Russia to hear about this in the press. The question is, why.
Perhaps because the people releasing the information knew that our political leader (*cough, cough*) wouldn't do a *$#)ing thing about any of it? That this was their way of saying to the Russians, he may not care, but someone does? That's my bet.

It used to be that you could rely on country dropping to help reduce malicious stuff, and while you still can, it doesn't work quite as well these days, due to the fact that anyone can cheaply roll up a virtual server anywhere in the world (or if you're a black-hat, take over one). Anyhow, here's the number of dropped connections from the past week from a single server.
5,538 Country: Russian Federation
2,185 Country: China
751 Country: Brazil
635 Country: Netherlands

I think IT people sometimes get flagged as being ornery or difficult to deal with, and I wonder if part of the reason is that we're exposed to a never-ending bombardment of strangers trying to do bad things to us that others are oblivious to, but perhaps that can be said of many professions.

Last edited:
Perhaps because the people releasing the information knew that our political leader (*cough, cough*) wouldn't do a *$#)ing thing about any of it? That this was their way of saying to the Russians, he may not care, but someone does? That's my bet.

Anyone who would say that has other channels to pass that word. No, someone wanted it in the press for another reason. Why, I don’t know. But normally the cattle class are kept in the dark on these things. Someone not only wanted Russia to know but also wanted the public stir of the pot.

Anybody know what the Russians were hoping to gain from hacking air traffic control?

Anybody know what the Russians were hoping to gain from hacking air traffic control?

Same thing we get from hacking theirs. Practice “just in case”.

Finding all the soft spots in Infrastructure is the never ending job of those who constantly prepare for war.

“You can not simultaneously prevent and prepare for war.” - Albert Einstein

Back