Departure frequencies

dreaming89

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Benjamin
Hi,

For Teterboro (TEB), I noticed on foreflight there's a departure frequency listed, but not approach.

My plan would be to arrive from the north, staying under the New York Bravo.

Would my first call to Teterboro be the tower like I normally do for class deltas?

On the way out, does the tower hand you off to departure? I've communicated with class D towers and ground, but never a departure frequency. Would you remain with departure from the time you are wheels up to the time you leave the class D? What kind of communication do you have with departure?

Thanks so much in advance.

Thank you for your reply. I know there is New York Approach, but im wondering about what frequencies am I required to be in contact with. I know nearby MMU has New York approach listed as well, but if you are VFR, you aren't in contact with them when you fly in, only the tower.

No matter if you're VFR or IFR flight plans you'll contact NY approach arriving and they'll work you in with frequency changes and eventually hand you off to the tower. Departure frequency is just another frequency used for departing aircraft, and after tower clears you for take off they will tell you to contact departure on that frequency, which will be part (issued to you) of your clearance if on an IFR flight plan, or if VFR flight the same.

At TEB even if you're VFR you'll have to contact CD (clearance delivery) before you taxi and they will issue you departure instructions, altitude, heading, squawk, and departure frequency.

The tower will give you the hand off frequency ,and usually a heading and altitude,you will be with departure untill they give you a handoff,or have you go VFR .

You're going to be talking to NY, I guess you could just not talk to anyone, stay under the airspace and call up like a normally sleepy delta field, however I really wouldn't do that with KTEB, just get flight following and they will give you the needed freqs

If you're flying in VFR, the best thing to do is get Flight Following, as they'll provide the necessary frequencies for you. If you choose not to get FF, than yes, the first call would be made to TEB Tower. On the way out, you will stay with tower until they hand you off to NY TRACON (Departure).

One thing to note, is that TEB is one of the busiest GA airports in the country, so it would be best to have Class D operations and radio communications down pat prior to attempting this flight.

If you're flying in VFR, the best thing to do is get Flight Following, as they'll provide the necessary frequencies for you. If you choose not to get FF, than yes, the first call would be made to TEB Tower. On the way out, you will stay with tower until they hand you off to NY TRACON (Departure).

One thing to note, is that TEB is one of the busiest GA airports in the country, so it would be best to have Class D operations and radio communications down pat prior to attempting this flight.
Class D's that expect you to be talking to Approach will send you to Approach if you try to talk to them 'cold'. BTDT but didn't get the tee-shirt. Did get a bad response when approach didn't pass on my intentions. Made me sorta ask 'What's the point' but I am only a lowly pilot and they are the great ATC gods so no questions permitted. The Air Force provided approach and tower at a civilian field so it was weird...

Class D's that expect you to be talking to Approach will send you to Approach if you try to talk to them 'cold'.
Good point. I should've made that more clear in my original reply. Tower may only send you over to Departure if you're on Flight Following. If you're just departing VFR to the North, they might just give you the 'frequency change approved' instruction once clear of the Delta airspace.

Hi,

For Teterboro (TEB), I noticed on foreflight there's a departure frequency listed, but not approach.

Would my first call to Teterboro be the tower like I normally do for class deltas?

On the way out, does the tower hand you off to departure? I've communicated with class D towers and ground, but never a departure frequency. Would you remain with departure from the time you are wheels up to the time you leave the class D? What kind of communication do you have with departure?

You will talk to the tower on departure, they'll tell you when to switch to DEP, which will probably be pretty quickly.

Hi,

If you're plan is to stay under the Bravo then you can just call the Tower. Looks like they want you to call at least 6 miles out. Look at the Terminal Area Chart. Departing, Ground and/or Clearance Delivery will tell you what you need to know. My guess is Teterboro is one of those joints that want you to call CD first.

I’m not at all familiar with KTEB; I live on the West Coast. However, Ryan’s assertion about it being one of the busiest GA airports in the country prompted me to do a little research. AirNav says it has 485 operations per day. KPAO has 525, and Deer Valley, KDVT, puts them both to shame with 956.

Anyway, I looked at TEB on the sectional and found something somewhat confusing. KTEB is a Class D airport with the upper level of the D at 2500’. It’s underneath Class B airspace with the floor at 1800’. How’s that work? See the chart below. I’ve never seen something like this before. Looks like the same airspace is double counted? What am I missing here?

c34dca5c8a6809751bb87f0f9aed0f83.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also be prepared for LONG Ground holds for TEB depending on EWR and LGA runway direction. It's been quite windy along the East coast last few weeks leading to some long delays.

I’m not at all familiar with KTEB; I live on the West Coast. However, Ryan’s assertion about it being one of the busiest GA airports in the country prompted me to do a little research. AirNav says it has 485 operations per day. KPAO has 525, and Deer Valley, KDVT, puts them both to shame with 956.

Anyway, I looked at TEB on the sectional and found something somewhat confusing. KTEB is a Class D airport with the upper level of the D at 2500’. It’s underneath Class B airspace with the floor at 1800’. How’s that work? See the chart below. I’ve never seen something like this before. Looks like the same airspace is double counted? What am I missing here?

B supersedes D. So any airspace that's 1800' will stop D at 1799'. The small D area that's under the 3000' B floor will stop at the listed 2500'. So you have a 499' "gap" that's technically E.

HOWEVER, there is a note to contact TEB tower no later then 6NM FROM their airspace when below 1800'.

Either way DO NOT go VFR with no FF into TEB. They will eat you alive and throw you back out. That airspace is way to complicated and busy to be going in blind.

B supersedes D. So any airspace that's 1800' will stop D at 1799'. The small D area that's under the 3000' B floor will stop at the listed 2500'. So you have a 499' "gap" that's technically E.

HOWEVER, there is a note to contact TEB tower no later then 6NM FROM their airspace when below 1800'.

Either way DO NOT go VFR with no FF into TEB. They will eat you alive and throw you back out. That airspace is way to complicated and busy to be going in blind.

I've flown into TEB in the past. If you are 10 miles or more out and under the veil, you can call into the tower. they will sequence you in. You could, but I have not found it necessary to contact approach, unless of course you are approaching airspace at an altitude that would preclude entry and you don't want to descend under the veil or you are too close.

departing, see the above post, its dead on. good Luck to the OP

I've flown into TEB in the past. If you are 10 miles or more out and under the veil, you can call into the tower. they will sequence you in. You could, but I have not found it necessary to contact approach, unless of course you are approaching airspace at an altitude that would preclude entry and you don't want to descend under the veil or you are too close.

departing, see the above post, its dead on. good Luck to the OP

If your coming from the due north down the Hudson I could see how that would work.

I'm just thinking about all those random helicopters and me flying 250 just above the Hudson VFR corridor to Yonkers before turning in towards LGA.

#9 in the US for GA operations in 2017 annualized is still "one of the busiest," especially when you consider how tight the NY airspace is.

Thats not uncommon. AIM 3-1-3 tells ya all about Hierarchy of airspace. In your neighborhhood they change the tops of parts some D's to match the bottoms of the B's, like at PAO and SQL. Tops of C's to match bottoms of B's like at OAK. But at RHV you have to apply 'Hierarchy' where the 2000 foot D top encroaches on the 1500 foot C bottom

#9 in the US for GA operations in 2017 annualized is still "one of the busiest," especially when you consider how tight the NY airspace is.

Yeah, I wasn’t disputing that at all, just curious how it compared to two busy GA airports with which I am acquainted. I was surprised at how DVT pretty much blew them both away. Wonder if there is any busier GA airport than that one. The airport at which I learned to fly back in the 80’s had maybe 5-10 operations per week!

As I said, never been to TEB. My dad, however, did fly out of there back in the late 70’s when he was working on his multi-engine sea rating.

Thats not uncommon. AIM 3-1-3 tells ya all about Hierarchy of airspace. In your neighborhhood they change the tops of parts some D's to match the bottoms of the B's, like at PAO and SQL. Tops of C's to match bottoms of B's like at OAK. But at RHV you have to apply 'Hierarchy' where the 2000 foot D top encroaches on the 1500 foot C bottom

That’s interesting. As you said, I’m more familiar with how KPAO segments its airspace and adjusts the tops to match the overlying space. I do all of my x-country flights as IFR, so airspace isn’t as much of a concern.

Never noticed the issue with RHV. Don’t fly there much. Interesting.

Yeah, I wasn’t disputing that at all, just curious how it compared to two busy GA airports with which I am acquainted. I was surprised at how DVT pretty much blew them both away. Wonder if there is any busier GA airport than that one. The airport at which I learned to fly back in the 80’s had maybe 5-10 operations per week!

As I said, never been to TEB. My dad, however, did fly out of there back in the late 70’s when he was working on his multi-engine sea rating.

I heard that GA airport in Anchorage was the busiest? Merril? Had a fellow USAF controller get sent there to work ATC when Reagan fired the controllers in '81.

I heard that GA airport in Anchorage was the busiest? Merril? Had a fellow USAF controller get sent there to work ATC when Reagan fired the controllers in '81.

Well, Airnav says 346 ops/day. Pretty busy, but not in Deer Valley’s league...

I got to fly out of Merrill last year. We were up there for my son’s 18AAA hockey team Pacific District championships, and my wife and I rented a 172 to do some sightseeing. Had to take an instructor along, but it was cool. It gets pretty dang cold in Alaska in March, but the flight was a lot of fun Flew around the glaciers and such. One thing about the flight struck me as amusing: I noticed that redline on the 172 is the cruise speed in my plane. Brought back memories of learning to fly in my dad’s 172. Landings back then seemed to have everything happening so fast. Now, landing at 65mph in a 172, everything seems to be happening so slowly.

Oh, and we could see Elmendorf from our hotel room. Pretty neat to watch the F-22s take off, accelerate for a bit and then go straight up still accelerating. Like watching a rocket launch.

Last edited:

DVT was number 3 for 2017 in GA ops. TMB and APA were 1 and 2.
Source: FAA Air Traffic Activity System

I've been playing with that site for a number of years, mostly because I was based at APA and curious. There is some variation by year and by season, with the top 10 jockeying around. But those three and VNY tend to consistently be in the top 5, although TMB definitely had a jump a few years ago.

Merrill is #53 for 2017. About half the GA ops of the ones in the top 5. In the top 5 we're talking 120 to 160 GA ops per year. In the 50,000 range for Merrill.

Merrill is #53 for 2017. About half the GA ops of the ones in the top 5. In the top 5 we're talking 120 to 160 GA ops per year. In the 50,000 range for Merrill.

This was back in '81, maybe it was busier then. Just something my controller buddy who was sent there during the controller's strike /firing back then.

DVT was number 3 for 2017 in GA ops. TMB and APA were 1 and 2.
Source: FAA Air Traffic Activity System

I've been playing with that site for a number of years, mostly because I was based at APA and curious. There is some variation by year and by season, with the top 10 jockeying around. But those three and VNY tend to consistently be in the top 5, although TMB definitely had a jump a few years ago.
I looked at that site. Kinda complicated and I don't want to take the time to sort it out. Yeah, I'm lazy. But you know how to use it so what I'm wondering is, what's the busiest single runway airport nowadays. Many years ago it was San Carlos, SQL. I doubt if that's true anymore

What were the selection criteria that you used to get that result?

Edited to add a criterion:

Output: Ranking Report; Rank by: General Aviation
Dates: Years, 2017
Groupings: Airport

The defaults for the rest

The controllers assigned to approach and departure sit only feet apart...if you call on the "wrong" frequency you will be told the freq to switch to. Caveat: I was only in NY airspace twice in twenty years so this advice may not work there.

Bob

The controllers assigned to approach and departure sit only feet apart...if you call on the "wrong" frequency you will be told the freq to switch to. Caveat: I was only in NY airspace twice in twenty years so this advice may not work there.

Bob

Pretty much the same way when I controlled Bob. Plus arrival is in there too at busy places. That way they're close enough so you can smack the other for a crappy handoff. Right @Radar Contact? :D

Back