Dog dies in United overhead bin

^they'll graciously take the courtesy of reaccommodating you

Now, if the airlines would actually enforce their carry-on limits for both luggage and pet kennels...

Yeah, I did see that the FA is claiming to not have known, but that other pax are saying there was plenty of notice given there was a dog in the bag.

She may have been in “I’m in command here, shut up” mode which is common.

The death of the dog is on the other pax then too.

Would YOU sit there watching that go down and not make damn sure the (cranky, mad, whatever) FA knew exactly what they were doing?

Like I said, the stupid is strong with this one. And there’s a whole lot of stupid surrounding this. Not just the dog owner and the FA. So stupid.

“Ma’am, I think one of us should respectfully tell you again for the owner there that there is a live animal inside that bag. You do realize what could happen shoving an animal into the overhead right? It doesn’t belong there.”

Off the charts stupid.

If she got all “I’m in command...” I’d happily tell her to go get the Captain or the FO... “Please”. Or even the purser if she wasn’t the lead FA.

I really think she may not have been listening and may truly believe she wasn’t informed. You have to snap people out of their “role” when they get all “I’m in command” when they’re screwing up.

But I’m annoyed as hell that all the sheep sat there and “witnessed” it and didn’t fix it. I wouldn’t be surprised if we soon find someone sat hiding behind a damn camera filming the whole thing but not taking action.

Last edited:
Now, if the airlines would actually enforce their carry-on limits for both luggage and pet kennels...

They can’t. The bin is full of mail and cargo. Where you going to gate check all of it to?

Today's UNITED pet screw up. They interchanged two dogs being shipped. The one supposed to be going to Oregon got sent to Tokyo.

Greman Shepard was on the way to Oregon, Great Dane on the way to Japan. Both pretty big dogs, but you don't need to be a breeder to tell them apart.

"Do you want to fly today?"

"Do you want to get sued and get a ton of bad press today"

image.jpg

That was my first thought when I saw pics of the miniature pug. They are stressed and fragile on a good day.
It also looks like the pooch was too big to qualify for in-cabin travel. The dog has to be able to stand up in the carrier underneath the seat. That really only works with the little rat dogs.
We transported one once, and it made such a horrible wheezing noise I thought it was dying in the back. Your dog OK? Owner said yes.

For comparison purposes. You decide. Which airline(s) would you or would you not entrust your dog to?

United Animals.jpg

From page 58 of this report.

Last edited:
Does a "loss" mean they literally LOST the dog? How? I would not have though SkyWest to have flown so many dogs

Clearly though Alaskan has set a pretty gold standard here. Good to know!

Out of curiosity, what duration is that from @SkyDog58 all time, annually?

Just... Wow. 3x the incidents of the next three airlines combined, who combined fly 65% more pets. There is a problem here.

As Larry mentioned, United has fewer restrictions. Delta for example has a long list of breeds they don't transport, first among them pugs . This pooch was a french bulldog, similar breed. Snub nosed dogs don't fly well and shouldn't be exposed to that stress in the first place.

Last edited:
The issue isn't with pets, it's with a major lack of common sense in their employees and how they conduct themselves.

Lack of common sense in employees? Have you seen customers lately? Which level of stupidity and lack of decency came first?

Lack of common sense in employees? Have you seen customers lately? Which level of stupidity and lack of decency came first?

They are crew, lest they be held to even a low standard eh?

So, with all the bad publicity that UA is getting about dogs on board: At the next board meeting someone says, "Folks, we can't win here. Let's just give in and not allow pets in the cabin at all anymore." As soon as they make that announcement, magically everyone will have an "emotional support" animal.

Well, they should, including the emotional support animal BS. The only animals on board should be bonafide service dogs that adhere to standards set by someone like the veterans administration or a state disability office.

Well, they should, including the emotional support animal BS. The only animals on board should be bonafide service dogs that adhere to standards set by someone like the veterans administration or a state disability office.

Yes the government will make it all better lol

Your pax experience is much more tied into the issues with society as a whole as well as ticket prices, problem with making flying affordable to nearly anyone, is nearly anyone could be sitting next to you.

Don't hear about nearly any problems in first class compared to the folks riding in the back of the bus

Wasn’t it a “first class” pax that crapped on the drink cart? I’m not buying this one. No shortage of rich or poor morons.

I don't recall, but most of the ghetto chit I see on video happens in the rear of the plane.

Yes the government will make it all better lol

Your pax experience is much more tied into the issues with society as a whole as well as ticket prices, problem with making flying affordable to nearly anyone, is nearly anyone could be sitting next to you.

Don't hear about nearly any problems in first class compared to the folks riding in the back of the bus
Truly James... at times I have no clue what you are advocating.
No government regulation on airlines? Just picture the anarchy and chaos if the crew didn’t have authority.. which I’m summizing you advocate.
Whether or not you like it, and sometimes it may be over the top, it is necessary to make the system as safe as it is.

Truly James... at times I have no clue what you are advocating.
No government regulation on airlines? Just picture the anarchy and chaos if the crew didn’t have authority.. which I’m summizing you advocate.
Whether or not you like it, and sometimes it may be over the top, it is necessary to make the system as safe as it is.

Pretty sure he was lamenting the idea that creating a huge list of rules about what a “service dog” consists of, wasn’t going to fix the problem, since that was the context of the post he replied to. And it wouldn’t.

The massive law books just keep getting bigger and people keep getting dumber and begging for some higher authority to make decisions for us so we don’t accidentally “offend” someone who’s real service dog looks like it’s headed for the prissy purse dog show. People want someone else to confront others who are acting like morons instead of having any inkling of how to handle it themselves.

The “need” for more rules goes hand in hand with the “need” not to ever offend anyone or anything. PC run amok. Everyone has to defer to a higher authority in a world where you can’t call a spade a spade.

“That’s not a service dog, that’s your lap dog and you’re a twit who carries it around in a purse like it’s a child. It’s a dog. Find a nice kennel when you travel and train it to handle you being away for your whopping two weeks of paid vacation in the US. For effs sake.”

Can’t say that anymore, see? Not PC. If it *is* a real service dog the person won’t be understanding and accept an apology, they’ll sue for “emotional distress”.

YMMV, but that’s how I see it. People want rampant PC authorities of all sorts in their lives to avoid having to learn even the most basic interpersonal skills.

Case in point: Not a damned person who witnessed that event stood up and said “No” to the FA, who was completely oblivious. Just sit in your nice uncomfortable seat and be quiet. Nobody talk. Maybe take a nice cell phone video of it for the news report after they give you a couple hundred bucks for it. A LOT of people were within earshot and say they knew what was going down.

I’d be ashamed to tell some stupid reporter that I knew what was going on and didn’t put a stop to it. Wouldn’t you? Most aren’t. They’ll happily sit there on their asses and watch someone kill a dog as long as that plane doesn’t leave the gate ten seconds late.
They need laws because they’re selfish asses who can’t relate to anything or anyone. And purposely try not to by carefully sanitizing all contact with others.

Taboo topics, rules, laws, deferring to higher authority and gladly handing over their rights to them... anything that they can hide behind to not have a real interaction with someone else, they’re happy.

“Oh my goodness! You mentioned a religion! You’re coloring outside the lines with that crayon there, Mister! You have political opinions too? Can’t be talking about those. We know there’s only two possible political religions nowadays, and we wouldn’t want to actually communicate about any of the grey in between...”

It’s all interrelated. Why help your “seat neighbor” get the point across to the FA that’s she’s an idiot when you can just stuff your AirPods in and listen to some nice music or a podcast? No pile of additional rules is going to fix a society that behaves like that.

Always a chuckle when the mass rule makers and supporters think the society is evolving toward some silly utopia because of their rules, though. Good for a laugh.

Don’t worry, James wasn’t trying to take your Captain authority away. Your four stripes are still intact. Maybe someone brave enough will tell the next idiot FA to go get you to make a decision about stuffing a dog into an overhead bin and you can save the day. Here’s hoping they do, anyway.

So, with all the bad publicity that UA is getting about dogs on board: At the next board meeting someone says, "Folks, we can't win here. Let's just give in and not allow pets in the cabin at all anymore." As soon as they make that announcement, magically everyone will have an "emotional support" animal.
Yeah, except that has been cracked down on.

For comparison purposes. You decide. Which airline(s) would you or would you not entrust your dog to?

View attachment 60952

From page 58 of this report.
Well, admittedly United is bad. There are two deaths and three injuries directly related to the airline and about six that were "undetermined." A couple of those are kind of likely not the airlines fault (one was a pair of geckos and one a conure) Of the rest 10 were injuries not due to the airline, primarily the dogs clawing at the cages. There were nine deaths not attributed to mishandling. Sending your animal by air is traumatic and you don't want to do it with an already compromised animal.

However, some of the other stats in that table are a bit misleading. One of the Alaska Airlines animal deaths was unrelated to their handling of the dog. It was not in good shape to begin with and died of cardiac issues unrelated to the handling. (The other got loose).

Then what you have is a problem with "infrequently occurring events" and trying to put basic statistical theory to it. I got into this with the FAA a few years back. When an even occurs 3 times in 60 years, the fact that you went from zero events in a year to one event in a year is not a SUBSTANTIAL STATISTICAL INCREASE. Fortunately, the guy in charge of the regional ACO actually could remember enough statistics to see my argument.

One of the American incidents is a yawner (the owner alleged rough treatment, but no particular injury to the dog observed).

The two Delta incidents involve causes of death also not related to the transport (one was a very seriously infected kitten and the other was a dog with severe coronary issues).

So if you take United out of the loop, it looks as if the rest of the airlines are pretty good (even the others down at the bottom of that table).

From my experience I can say that First Class passengers can be worse. Some expect even more special treatment beyond what they're entitled to, not all of them of course, but there are some. I've had to have a few of them removed because of behavior or threats to the FAs. Heck some even threaten the flight crew!

Pretty sure he was lamenting the idea that creating a huge list of rules about what a “service dog” consists of, wasn’t going to fix the problem, since that was the context of the post he replied to. And it wouldn’t.

The massive law books just keep getting bigger and people keep getting dumber and begging for some higher authority to make decisions for us so we don’t accidentally “offend” someone who’s real service dog looks like it’s headed for the prissy purse dog show. People want someone else to confront others who are acting like morons instead of having any inkling of how to handle it themselves.

The “need” for more rules goes hand in hand with the “need” not to ever offend anyone or anything. PC run amok. Everyone has to defer to a higher authority in a world where you can’t call a spade a spade.

“That’s not a service dog, that’s your lap dog and you’re a twit who carries it around in a purse like it’s a child. It’s a dog. Find a nice kennel when you travel and train it to handle you being away for your whopping two weeks of paid vacation in the US. For effs sake.”

Can’t say that anymore, see? Not PC. If it *is* a real service dog the person won’t be understanding and accept an apology, they’ll sue for “emotional distress”.

YMMV, but that’s how I see it. People want rampant PC authorities of all sorts in their lives to avoid having to learn even the most basic interpersonal skills.

Case in point: Not a damned person who witnessed that event stood up and said “No” to the FA, who was completely oblivious. Just sit in your nice uncomfortable seat and be quiet. Nobody talk. Maybe take a nice cell phone video of it for the news report after they give you a couple hundred bucks for it. A LOT of people were within earshot and say they knew what was going down.

I’d be ashamed to tell some stupid reporter that I knew what was going on and didn’t put a stop to it. Wouldn’t you? Most aren’t. They’ll happily sit there on their asses and watch someone kill a dog as long as that plane doesn’t leave the gate ten seconds late.
They need laws because they’re selfish asses who can’t relate to anything or anyone. And purposely try not to by carefully sanitizing all contact with others.

Taboo topics, rules, laws, deferring to higher authority and gladly handing over their rights to them... anything that they can hide behind to not have a real interaction with someone else, they’re happy.

“Oh my goodness! You mentioned a religion! You’re coloring outside the lines with that crayon there, Mister! You have political opinions too? Can’t be talking about those. We know there’s only two possible political religions nowadays, and we wouldn’t want to actually communicate about any of the grey in between...”

It’s all interrelated. Why help your “seat neighbor” get the point across to the FA that’s she’s an idiot when you can just stuff your AirPods in and listen to some nice music or a podcast? No pile of additional rules is going to fix a society that behaves like that.

Always a chuckle when the mass rule makers and supporters think the society is evolving toward some silly utopia because of their rules, though. Good for a laugh.

Don’t worry, James wasn’t trying to take your Captain authority away. Your four stripes are still intact. Maybe someone brave enough will tell the next idiot FA to go get you to make a decision about stuffing a dog into an overhead bin and you can save the day. Here’s hoping they do, anyway.

That

We have to admit, JetBlue still did the animal killing thing better. LOL. Whoooosh!
TSA checkpoints already have trash cans so you can dump your water bottles and coffee cups before you get probed. Maybe a Ferguson, "the Stradivarius of toilets", next to each jetway?

Isn't some of this on the passengers? Doesn't every one know everything has to fit under in front or in the bins. Her dog carrier wouldn't fit under the seat. Is there somewhere else the dog could be during takeoff/landing? And after seat belts sign off couldn't she retrieve the dog?

Isn't some of this on the passengers? Doesn't every one know everything has to fit under in front or in the bins. Her dog carrier wouldn't fit under the seat. Is there somewhere else the dog could be during takeoff/landing? And after seat belts sign off couldn't she retrieve the dog?

Yes.
No.
Is that proven?
Maybe but doubtful.
Have to answer question four first.

:)

I couldn’t fit my folded jacket all the way under a seat recently. Are the little carry on measuring devices that people have ready access to in the terminals really showing under seat space measurements or overhead bin measurements?

Yeah, maybe one can find under seat measurements for everything in the fleets on the website. I haven’t looked.

Mostly because I wouldn’t attempt to shove an animal under one. :)

The pet has to remain within the carrier throughout the flight. Unfotunately, many owners of small dogs are not the most reasonable people on earth and I have seen the problems that occur when they run into flight attendants who are told to enforce their employers policies.

...I have seen the problems that occur when they run into flight attendants who are told to enforce their employers policies.

I don't care about their policies, you still are a human and expected to act like one, telling someone to shove a puppy into a overhead bin should be beyond the realm of possible solutions to said problem for more civilized humans.

I couldn’t fit my folded jacket all the way under a seat recently. Are the little carry on measuring devices that people have ready access to in the terminals really showing under seat space measurements or overhead bin measurements?

Yeah, maybe one can find under seat measurements for everything in the fleets on the website. I haven’t looked.

Mostly because I wouldn’t attempt to shove an animal under one. :)

The max measurements for a pet-carrier that fits underneath the seat are published by the airline. They also publish what aircraft typess you can take pet carriers onto and which seats you need to be seated in. The pics of the dog and the carrier in the press suggest that both the dog and the carrier were too big to fit underneath the seat. This should have been sorted out during boarding and the lady, her baby, her kid and her dog should have been taken off the plane to figure out how they get the entire circus to NY.

Back