PS Engineering PMA8000BT - any PIREPS?

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
This Fall my dad and I are thinking about upgrading the audio panel in our Cherokee 140. We have been told that people generally prefer the PS Engineering stuff over the Garmin audio panels. We just put in a new Garmin GNC255 radio. Our COM2 is an old KX170B, so whatever we put in needs to be compatible with that old fart of a radio.

Any comments on the PS Engineering audio panels (specifically the PMA8000BT) over the Garmin products? Would it be better to go with Garmin because we have a new Garmin radio?

Thanks.

This Fall my dad and I are thinking about upgrading the audio panel in our Cherokee 140. We have been told that people generally prefer the PS Engineering stuff over the Garmin audio panels. We just put in a new Garmin GNC255 radio. Our COM2 is an old KX170B, so whatever we put in needs to be compatible with that old fart of a radio.

Any comments on the PS Engineering audio panels (specifically the my plane with a PMA8000BT) over the Garmin products? Would it be better to go with Garmin because we have a new Garmin radio?

Thanks.

Things I like about PS over garmin
  • They sound better IMHO (Seariously, I'll fly my plane with a 8000BT for 1.5 hour to go pick up Dad's plane which has the GMA340)
  • Don't have to mess with dealer network to get them fixed, you can deal with PS directly. Repairs are fast and reasonable.
  • I like the softkeys over the hard plastic ones
  • The 8000BT has more unswitched inputs than the GMA340, more flexibility when adding devices that need it, like GTN, GFC500, traffic alarms etc.
Things I like about Garmin
  • The connectors are a lot easier to deal with, but that's what installers mess with, not pilots. (Note IDT any of the GMA340s came with the good connectors dad's doesnt have them). That being said, I would just buy two GTR-225 connector kits to use on a PS engineering audio panel,
  • The only reason to buy a garmin is if you want voice activate controls of the GTN radio. I think the folks that have the feature and actually like it are about 50/50, I forget which model does that.

Last edited:
I have Garmin 530W and the 327 transponder. I considered the Garmin audio panel but decided to go with the PMA 7000M BT. Sounds great, love the bluetooth phone connection for picking up IFR clearances when needed. Rear seat pax can plug in for their own movie or music sounds too. My second com is a Collins and would like to eventually pick up a Garmin 430.

Another plus is the auto vox. No missed transmissions because your mic didn’t engage the audio panel. No need for uh’s or God forbid the common “and...approach...blah blah blah”.

Very happy with the PMA unit.

I only have the lowly 7000B so in classic PoA fashion I'll give you information that is useless to you. I like my 7000B, sounds real good. most of the rentals I flew had some form of older garmin, 340 etc... and I like the sound of the pma better, although no major complaints about the garmin products. there ya go.

I have a 8000bt.
The bluetooth is great for using your phone through the headset even with the engine running.
The audio panel has performed flawlessly.
I would buy another in an instant if I got another plane.

both the planes i fly have the 8000 BT.. its great on those long trips to listen to music, or have foreflight send audio through.. Audio quality is spot on, even for my deaf ass.

Add me to the long list of pilots who like PSE audio panels

8000BT it issss!!!!!

Another fact to support your decision... PS Engineering's customer support is muey exelente!

One thing to plan for and check with you installer about.... upgrading the wiring to the headset jacks to support stereo.

Once done, it permits getting the most out the music feature and other functions, both current and future.

One thing to plan for and check with you installer about.... upgrading the wiring to the headset jacks to support stereo.

Once done, it permits getting the most out the music feature and other functions, both current and future.

Thanks I will remember that...nothing a little dinero cant fix

Also in finest POA tradition I will add more useless info. The ‘kota has the 8000B no T. Headset has BT. The audio panel performs as advertised. It has some modes that it will stay in once they are set. RTFM.

another happy PS 8000 BT owner here....they make great stuff. ;)....and it ain't Garmin.

Thanks I will remember that...nothing a little dinero cant fix
And one more item to discuss with your installer... wired music inputs each for the passenger front and the rear seat.

This made it possible for each position to listen to their own music through their headsets. Me via BT, them via a patch cord connecting their device's headset jack to the audio panel input jack.

And one more item to discuss with your installer... wired music inputs each for the passenger front and the rear seat.

This made it possible for each position to listen to their own music through their headsets. Me via BT, them via a patch cord connecting their device's headset jack to the audio panel input jack.

Yea no use to have it in back seat since it really doesn’t get used in our Cherokee 140...

I have a PS Engineering 450A with a G430W and GTX-345. The comment earlier that PSE's customer service is extreme is absolutely true! The PSE-450A is absolutely worth the extra dough. The context related soft buttons with the OLED display really simplifies operations. Make sure to put your headset in Stereo mode. Blow you away.

For my unit the bluetooth is fantastic. You actually don't need most of the hard wired audio in/out capability. Announcements in Foreflight stream to the 450A, along with phone, and music all at the same time - with the right prioritization for the pilot.

Your smartphone using BT to your headset; you will have the ability to answer, ignore, or hang up via the 450A. Pretty cool, just like getting a call in your cars BT system.

I have a Garmin SL 15 (Apollo actually) audio Panel and it is freaking AWESOME and i love it, doesnt have BT.. its in my long list of wish list item.
then one day i took a picture of the unit when it was out and found out....

upload_2018-3-15_15-38-40.png

Your smartphone using BT to your headset; you will have the ability to answer, ignore, or hang up via the 450A
Have you noticed the PMA450 will also display caller ID for incoming calls?

Another great feature of the PMA450? Karaoke mode!! Set the music mute to this, and you still hear your tunes no matter what is chatter is going on via intercom or ATC or you wanting to sing a long.

Another great feature of the PMA450? Ability to switch who gets to hear the music. So if you're streaming Sinatra from your phone, but your right seater wants to listen to their "Best of Country Western Reggae Death Metal", that's simple to set up and you still can talk to them on intercom and hear ATC.

Have you noticed the PMA450 will also display caller ID for incoming calls?

Another great feature of the PMA450? Karaoke mode!! Set the music mute to this, and you still hear your tunes no matter what is chatter is going on via intercom or ATC or you wanting to sing a long.

Another great feature of the PMA450? Ability to switch who gets to hear the music. So if you're streaming Sinatra from your phone, but your right seater wants to listen to their "Best of Country Western Reggae Death Metal", that's simple to set up and you still can talk to them on intercom and hear ATC.

Good ones Mike. Glad you mentioned them.

We replaced our audio panel as part of a recent upgrade, and also considered both PS Engineering and Garmin.

FWIW, I've always been impressed by PS Engineering. They do one thing (audio panels) and they do it exceedingly well. Certainly no complaints in any of my experiences with them, and the president of PSE even gave me some info to help my decision.

*IF* you don't have a Garmin GTN-series GPS and you don't ever intend to get one - Get the PSE. You won't regret it.

That said - We went with the Garmin GMA350c. We also installed a GTN 750, and I'd be even more strongly in favor of the 350c if you have or get a GTN 650, for one reason: The "Telligence" voice command system. Forget any impressions you may have gotten using the demo at an airshow - It's not engineered for that environment and really doesn't demo well in a tent with fifty other voices in close range, but in the airplane it is FANTASTIC and really makes up for some of the klunkiness of the GTN's touchscreen UI.

We now have an additional "PTC" (Push To Command) button on both yokes, and all you do is hit PTC and then talk to the audio panel and/or GPS. It's way faster and easier than most of the same functions using the touchscreen, and no worries in turbulence.

For example: You boot up, hit "Flight Plan", enter and activate your flight plan, and of course you want to go to the map. Without the 350c, you hit the "Home" button (or the on-screen Back button) followed by the on-screen Map button. With the 350c, you just key the PTC and say "Show Map." You can instantly switch to any screen in the system with a "Show xxx" command, even sub-screens ("Show destination NOTAMs"). You can say "Tune nearest approach" or "Tune destination ATIS" instead of looking up frequencies and tuning them manually, which saves even more time.

There's some "Show" commands that will pop up a window in the top row of the GTN briefly. "Say MSA" pops up a minimum safe altitude, for example.
There's also some "Say" commands where it'll verbally reply to you. "Say time to descent" or "Say winds" for example.
You can control the audio panel as well. "Select Mic One."
And, some general commands like "Create waypoint here" or "Zoom In" or "Scroll Down" type of stuff.

Oddly enough, one of the biggest reasons we wanted the GTN 750 over the 650 was so that the entire keyboard would fit on-screen, but between the GMA350c and the FlightStream, I haven't used the keyboard yet at all!

Highly recommend it. Even our avionics guy, who tried to talk us out of it initially, was impressed enough after seeing ours in action that he wants to install one in his plane now.

Back