Dynon Certified released today

Synthetic vision, autopilot, ADS-B, engine monitor and everyone's favorite AOA for 20k. That combination currently:

Garmin Txi: $14,000
Garmin Txi (Engine Monitoring): $4000
S-TEC 30: $15,000
AOA: $1,500
ADS-B: $5000
= ~ $40,000

Last edited:
Synthetic vision, autopilot, ADS-B, engine monitor and everyone's favorite AOA for 20k. That combination currently:

EDM-830: $5,000
= ~ $40,000

I think they were saying 20k installed (from the video). You forgot to add installation costs.

EDM-830: $5,000
= ~ $40,000

Shouldn't the EDM-830 and Garming TXI (engine monitor) be calculated as either/or, not combined?

Yes indeed, my excitement got the best of me; will edit, thanks.

Any of those pricing guesses include a GPS navigator, NAV, or COMM?

I have little hope Dynon will get around to certifying this for Diamonds DA20-C1 airplanes. But if they do before I pull the trigger on dual Garmin G5s and a GTN650 I’ll immediately buy it.

We live in amazing times.

= ~ $35,000

To be fair, the Garmin GFC500 costs less than the S-TEC 30 by a wide margin and is a much more capable autopilot. Also, don't forget the $2K for the STC from Dynon.

More realistically, it's $29K for Garmin vs. $22K for Dynon, before installation. Garmin tends to offer lots of discounts if you do things right, but Dynon will likely be a cheaper install once there are more places to do the install and they have some experience with it.

Anyone else not a huge fan of the angled bezel with rotary knobs at an angle, look?

It fits better in some aircraft than others. Not everything has the three feet tall panel of the 182.

I like hiding behind my panel thank-you-very-much! LOL. I can peek and see if the weather is still bad ahead. :)

seriously, this is some of the best news ever for GA and breathes life into lots of older airframes.

now for the pa-23...

= ~ $35,000
you forgot ADSB transponder in/out. add another 5-7k for that

so call it 40k worth of stuff, plust what, a trillion dollars to install and integrate it all.

to both solutions, add 15k for a WAAS GPS installed

so 35k for Dynon plus GPS
OR
50k for "piece it together"

but, i bet that the dynon install is way less money than putting together a traditional combo.

a lot of money either way, but maybe you get out the door with the dynon plus new GPS for 45K?

Anyone else not a huge fan of the angled bezel with rotary knobs at an angle, look?

I asked about that at Oshkosh. They said they did it that way to have a place to rest a finger or three when you're trying to use the touchscreen in turbulence, similar to the bezel on the GTN series. It's functional, but not particularly attractive.

I like the utility of it, but not the aesthetics. Plus, looks like a dust magnet at that angle. I don't mind dusting once in a while (annually ha ha)...but I don't like having to clean dust from around buttons.
Especially buttons that are that expensive....and/or important.
Hard to complain too much though when it's this exciting.
Makes me feel a little more trusting of Dynon now when I see them in EAB planes.

Im in the market for a replacement like this. Was bout to get a G5, but may wait to see what happens now.

Not finding the $45K install full autopilot etc. reviews relevant...guess I'm missing something? Please enlighten

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you hold your breath for a year? [multiple meanings there]

I too am interested in the STC applying to the PA32 series.
I can, and as you have seen, I will again if needed.

Thanks; fixed to represent the proper $40,000 worth of items.

you forgot ADSB transponder in/out. add another 5-7k for that

so call it 40k worth of stuff, plust what, a trillion dollars to install and integrate it all.

to both solutions, add 15k for a WAAS GPS installed

so 35k for Dynon plus GPS
OR
50k for "piece it together"

but, i bet that the dynon install is way less money than putting together a traditional combo.

a lot of money either way, but maybe you get out the door with the dynon plus new GPS for 45K?

Any of those pricing guesses include a GPS navigator, NAV, or COMM?
looks like a complete Nav/Comms/autopilot/engine monitor/AHRS is going to be $16K plus install. Not a bad deal for an old clap trap panel......might not be a bad deal for the Bonanza either. :D...not sure I'm ready to give up my STec 60-2 with alt hold just yet.

looks like a complete Nav/Comms/autopilot/engine monitor/AHRS is going to be $16K plus install. Not a bad deal for an old clap trap panel......might not be a bad deal for the Bonanza either. :D...not sure I'm ready to give up my STec 60-2 with alt hold just yet.
I think that's the thing. now, if you were buying a plane that was eligible for it, you want the crappiest panel possible, as I want to throw out an autocontrol II, not an STEC that the seller is going to try to get value out of.

i don't know what the used market is for autopilots. it seems that most other avionics have a pretty good used market so you could caputres something for selling old insturments, but I'm not sure if AP really has a big used market, due to the huge cost of install.

i'm also hoping that a "clean" insteall of the Dynon package is cheap(ish) as it should start with cutting/pulling 90% of what's there out, running new power, antenna, and air and then installing the package. I've got to think that's a lot less labor intensive than carefully trying to squeeze replace a couple of instruments in a spaghetti panel that is a panolopy of brands and generations that you're trying to make work together.

It’s mediocre. Information density is low, and buttons abound, for content that could easily fit on three total pages of double sided paper. LOL.
it's very splashy and fluent. I get told these are the best sites to inspire people, so I do it, since they control my bonuses.

they could do a little storytelling and then have a second page that really is a features/benefits and they should really have a hard "vs the competitors" view like Avidyne does to land some of their key differentiators which are "simple, integrated, whole panel refresh" or something of the sort.

they're local, maybe I should go work there...

To be fair, the Garmin GFC500 costs less than the S-TEC 30 by a wide margin and is a much more capable autopilot. Also, don't forget the $2K for the STC from Dynon.

More realistically, it's $29K for Garmin vs. $22K for Dynon, before installation. Garmin tends to offer lots of discounts if you do things right, but Dynon will likely be a cheaper install once there are more places to do the install and they have some experience with it.
I thought I saw $18k (STC + equipment) for the Dynon, plus installation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think that's the thing. now, if you were buying a plane that was eligible for it, you want the crappiest panel possible, as I want to throw out an autocontrol II, not an STEC that the seller is going to try to get value out of.

i don't know what the used market is for autopilots. it seems that most other avionics have a pretty good used market so you could caputres something for selling old insturments, but I'm not sure if AP really has a big used market, due to the huge cost of install.

i'm also hoping that a "clean" insteall of the Dynon package is cheap(ish) as it should start with cutting/pulling 90% of what's there out, running new power, antenna, and air and then installing the package. I've got to think that's a lot less labor intensive than carefully trying to squeeze replace a couple of instruments in a spaghetti panel that is a panolopy of brands and generations that you're trying to make work together.

Stec equipment, maybe others, are basically salvage value after they are installed. You cannot get the installation approval transferred from one airplane to another without spending a whole lot of money at the dealer. Stec basically wants half the cost of new to bench test & recert the equipment before they will issue a new installation data package, labor costs to install it will be the same so there is what? 25% savings if that? I guess it depends on what you can buy the used one for.

Stec equipment, maybe others, are basically salvage value after they are installed. You cannot get the installation approval transferred from one airplane to another without spending a whole lot of money at the dealer. Stec basically wants half the cost of new to bench test & recert the equipment before they will issue a new installation data package, labor costs to install it will be the same so there is what? 25% savings if that? I guess it depends on what you can buy the used one for.
cool, i know who won't ever see a dime from me (STEC).

cool, i know who won't ever see a dime from me (STEC).

It’s simply the dealer network structure. Few autopilot companies will sell you anything directly so everything has to go through a dealer. Dealers can make up their own policies on the spot to protect their own interests. Some vendors keep tight control of their data, issuing a letter of authorization (think licensing agreement) and data package for each make and model airplane that has paid for a system to be installed.

Historically, Stec would not issue a letter and data package unless a brand new autopilot was purchased or a used autopilot was returned for recertification, both billed accordingly.

It’s simply the dealer network structure. Few autopilot companies will sell you anything directly so everything has to go through a dealer. Dealers can make up their own policies on the spot to protect their own interests. Some vendors keep tight control of their data, issuing a letter of authorization (think licensing agreement) and data package for each make and model airplane that has paid for a system to be installed.

Historically, Stec would not issue a letter and data package unless a brand new autopilot was purchased or a used autopilot was returned for recertification, both billed accordingly.
I'm a free market guy. They're free to do that. BUT, as a consumer, i'm free to think that I won't pay them and now there are actual alternatives from GArmin and from Dynon.

I'm a free market guy. They're free to do that. BUT, as a consumer, i'm free to think that I won't pay them and now there are actual alternatives from GArmin and from Dynon.

Dynon posted the other day on facebook to a comment I made, which seemed to imply they will only being selling via "dealer installation only" policy at first but will ultimately let anyone buy equipment and have thier own A&P IA complete the installation.

If thats true I could see why they would want these brand new products installed by "dealers" to give them a chance to iron out details & issue they find during the first installations.

Also, selling to anyone should capture a bunch of aircraft owners that are certified mechanics.

Dynon posted the other day on facebook to a comment I made, which seemed to imply they will only being selling via "dealer installation only" policy at first but will ultimately let anyone buy equipment and have thier own A&P IA complete the installation.

If thats true I could see why they would want these brand new products installed by "dealers" to give them a chance to iron out details & issue they find during the first installations.

Also, selling to anyone should capture a bunch of aircraft owners that are certified mechanics.
Very interesting. I'm hoping that what they are doing is getting some shops to PROVE that their integrated suite can be cheaply installed, because you really only have to integrate with external radios and not with a gaggle of pre-existing stuff. i'm hoping the install cost gets down in the single digit thousands for "rip and replace" upgrades

Website confirms that. Only three approved installation places right now.

I will be interested to see the actual install cost. They said Mid 20k with the unit and install. My avionics guy doesn’t believe it’s doable. Plus u need a Dynon 10 at least for a backup AI for IFR

I will be interested to see the actual install cost. They said Mid 20k with the unit and install. My avionics guy doesn’t believe it’s doable. Plus u need a Dynon 10 at least for a backup AI for IFR

Or your old gyro AI. Just would have to move it. Only have to do the second digital if you want to ditch the vacuum pump.

On a big panel like a 182, many keep the gyros and just put them on the right side. If they fail, they’re still relatively cheap to replace or rebuild. The pump is the most expensive part unless someone has an old HSI. Those can get spendy to fix.

Since they’re backups and not primary the glut of serviceable ones piled high in most busy avionics shops right now, and for the foreseeable future, make for decent replacements also.

The shop only gave the previous owner a pittance for them on trade in, so they can’t ask much for one of them really. $150 plus labor to swap your dead one for the working when removed one and you roll the dice and take your chances on when that one dies, is pretty cheap for a working backup on the other side of the panel.

If you can fine and use an old wet vacuum pump, that might literally last the life of the airplane properly serviced.

Take this for what it's worth but I spoke with Dynon Rep at OSH this past year and he told me 16K for the total package plus 2K for the STC with installation being around 4K. From everything I've encountered with installations, this seems light. Maybe that's why they are trying to control who installs it?

Here's the more interesting part to me. They told me that they will sell the system a la carte for cheaper. In my case I could keep my GNS WAAS, keep my engine monitor, keep my GTX345 (in and out) transponder and only get the glass panel (PFD/MFD) and autopilot for much cheaper than 16K with installation cost a little less. Now what would the price be for those two pieces? I'm guessing significantly cheaper than a G500 Txi at 16K and a GFC600 (doesn't seem they will allow the 500 for 310's) at 20+K. For planes like mine, it seems that I will be 20-30K cheaper in the end by going with Dynon but who knows what it will eventually shake out to.

I'm watching with interest. If Garmin would just allow the GFC500 I would get the second G5 and that right now.

Bet they are trying to control quaility with fewer installers, but also maybe trying to control the price gouging that could happen on the labor end and cause it to be less competitive than it other wise would be.

Bet they are trying to control quaility with fewer installers, but also maybe trying to control the price gouging that could happen on the labor end and cause it to be less competitive than it other wise would be.

That’s usually not how price gouging works. More shops means more completion, not less.

Now there is some inelasticity in the labor market because people won’t fly their airplane far away to work on it.

Back