Dog dies in United overhead bin

Maybe I missed it, but I’m curious to know what the reasoning was behind placing the dog in the overhead bin. I have always been under the impression that cats and dogs can ride with their person as long as they’re in a small crate than can slide under the seat infront of you, no?

I will agree that the combination of poor ventilation and shock anxiety led to the poor dog’s demise.

[I don't be liking this thread. I might get all Prince-protective again]

But I like my doggie a lot.

Drive me a bit nuts that the flight attendant or the owner would do something so moronic.

Maybe I missed it, but I’m curious to know what the reasoning was behind placing the dog in the overhead bin.

Root cause? The whole charging for bags thing, so everyone drags half their crap for a week long trip aboard in a carry on.

Of course nowadays the space that bags used to take up in the place in the airplane designed for people’s luggage is now filled with other revenue generating cargo, so there’s no going back financially.

At least one whole generation doesn’t know a world where you always checked all your bags and enjoyed the ride in a reasonably roomy seat that didn’t shove your knees up your nose and reclining a seat didn’t nearly kill the person behind you.

Root cause? The whole charging for bags thing, so everyone drags half their crap for a week long trip aboard in a carry on.

Of course nowadays the space that bags used to take up in the place in the airplane designed for people’s luggage is now filled with other revenue generating cargo, so there’s no going back financially.

At least one whole generation doesn’t know a world where you always checked all your bags and enjoyed the ride in a reasonably roomy seat that didn’t shove your knees up your nose and reclining a seat didn’t nearly kill the person behind you.
Very true. It’s evident that the rationale wasn’t there. Very unfortunate that revenue passengers are treated like cattle these days, when flying the metal tube.

"Please use caution, objects in the overhead bin my have sh•t the bed during flight"

Just kidding! This is terrible. I can't believe that all parties involved thought this was the best way to go. In the few times we took our dog on the airlines, once my wife heard our dog barking down below when they shut down the engines. Another time they informed us that the Captain wouldn't take him because the heater wasn't working. They sent him on the following flight and one of the passengers on that flight told us she was going to write a letter to the airline praising the baggage handlers on how sweet they were to our dog as she watched them take care of him. Another funny story was waiting to get our dog at LGA, it was like a Seinfeld episode as they tried to give us the wrong dog three times. While we always had good luck, I don't think we would send our current dog on the airlines these days.

Couple things:

1) Stop traveling with your pets. It's torture for the dog, and if traveling in the cabin then potentially annoying to other pax. This "emotional support" nonsense has to stop

2) The parents of the dog and the FA are braindead idiots. Anyone who thinks it is okay to stuff an animal into an overhead bin for 3 hrs is sub human. Owner should have refused

3) Why am I not surprised this was UA? ONCE our dog flew with us commercially, we had no choice as we were bringing him home across the country..but DL was super nice about the whole thing and VERY accommodating. Yes he was in the cabin. I travel a fair amount for work and DL always treats us right, and works to make things right when wx or mx issues come up. UA pretty much told me to go F*CH myself when they cancelled a flight on me. Sorry, but UA's management has their deep up the behind

Couple things:

1) Stop traveling with your pets. It's torture for the dog, and if traveling in the cabin then potentially annoying to other pax. This "emotional support" nonsense has to stop

2) The parents of the dog and the FA are braindead idiots. Anyone who thinks it is okay to stuff an animal into an overhead bin for 3 hrs is sub human. Owner should have refused

3) Why am I not surprised this was UA? ONCE our dog flew with us commercially, we had no choice as we were bringing him home across the country..but DL was super nice about the whole thing and VERY accommodating. Yes he was in the cabin. I travel a fair amount for work and DL always treats us right, and works to make things right when wx or mx issues come up. UA pretty much told me to go F*CH myself when they cancelled a flight on me. Sorry, but UA's management has their deep up the behind

Last year 24 dog deaths on airlines. 18 of them are United. That's a huge share.
I don't recall in all my trips ever seeing a dog on a place. My wifes ex and his wife travelled a few times with their very small dog so I know it is allowed. Just wasn't sure where the dog is during the flight.
I think someone above was right pointing out after 911 we all just do whatever some FA says on airplanes. The FA should have known better. People have a tendency to trust people in authority. "they wouldn't tell me to do it if it were dangerous to my pet" attitude.

My heart goes out to those people, but they never should have taken a dog on United given their track record. Last week we had to put our 10 year old dog, who was a wonderful companion to sleep. We paid extra to have the vet come to the house, to reduce the stress on the dog. It's taking a long time to get used to now having her here. I feel for the owners.

Edit to add: just saw a photo of the poor dog in the bin. It wasn't even as I imagined, a overheard "normal size" bin, it was way small. I would bet it died of overheating. No water, in a small enclosure (maybe air too but) it's body heat, no place to dissipate.
I am a little surprised that the owners went along with this after seeing the size of it.

Last edited:
We had three dogs on a recent trip on SWA. All but one was completely silent and the one that barked a single time was startled by something. All were very small “purse dogs”, or “coyote appetizers” as we call them out here...

But I’m in agreement with those who say don’t do it. None of the dogs looked happy in the slightest.

We had three dogs on a recent trip on SWA. All but one was completely silent and the one that barked a single time was startled by something. All were very small “purse dogs”, or “coyote appetizers” as we call them out here...

But I’m in agreement with those who say don’t do it. None of the dogs looked happy in the slightest.

Was just reading recently about flying (GA or commercial) with dogs. Mentioned a good idea, that dogs have the same ear problems as humans so a small treat to get them to chew to help with the air pressure inner ear stuff can be a great idea.

I always have had dogs, and even as a kid never had a fear of them. I do wonder, in some cultures dogs are considered "unclean" and being forced to sit next to one seems like for many people (also often they have a fear of dogs as well) seems like the airlines if they allow it must have to go through some seating changes here and there, so people that do object would be able to be ok.

The dogs I've had were always mid-sized so too large to expect (I think) to be able to take on a commercial flight.
But anyone know, where do they "normally" place larger dogs and animals? They have a special (heated? and pressurized) area for them in some hold?

Maybe I missed it, but I’m curious to know what the reasoning was behind placing the dog in the overhead bin. I have always been under the impression that cats and dogs can ride with their person as long as they’re in a small crate than can slide under the seat infront of you, no?

I will agree that the combination of poor ventilation and shock anxiety led to the poor dog’s demise.

From what I read, it appears that the crate was protruding into the aisle, but rather than correcting the passenger by telling her to adjust it so it was under the seat, the FA made her put it into the overhead... Pets rely on their owners for their safety and health. So sad when they suffer from negligence, or in many cases, purely, depraved indifference.

Fly United?

No thanks. The two of us are fine right here.

guitar-dog.jpg

Last year 24 dog deaths on airlines. 18 of them are United. That's a huge share.
United carries significantly more animals than do the other airlines. Their animal mortality rate is still higher but that can be attributed to their rules giving greater flexibility with regard to the acceptance of animals including a wider temperature range. United will accept animals under conditions that no other airline will accept, i.e. hotter or colder weather.

The breed in this incident is known to have breathing and stress issues and would not have been accepted for travel in the cargo hold.

I think someone above was right pointing out after 911 we all just do whatever some FA says on airplanes. The FA should have known better. People have a tendency to trust people in authority. "they wouldn't tell me to do it if it were dangerous to my pet" attitude.
IMO, more likely, "If I don't do what the FA says, they'll kick me off the plane and my life will be briefly inconvenienced, which would mean the end of the world as we know it."

United carries significantly more animals than do the other airlines. Their animal mortality rate is still higher but that can be attributed to their rules giving greater flexibility with regard to the acceptance of animals including a wider temperature range. United will accept animals under conditions that no other airline will accept, i.e. hotter or colder weather.

The breed in this incident is known to have breathing and stress issues and would not have been accepted for travel in the cargo hold.

I kinda figured that would be the case. United being larger than most airlines. Still is a lot. I hadn't thought about the breed, but should have, you are right. I can see that Airlines have a problem, if they really are going to do it right they would have to have folks trained in the breeds, and needs, OR else have (as you say other airlines do) specific conditions that have to be met, cargo hold only with other conditions...sounds costly and dangerous. Would have to exclude breeds from what you say that aren't suitable for cargo. I'm a little biased against United as a guitarist, I think they are the worst offenders treating guitars badly, but it is a tough job to be able to handle all the variables safely. Still, that bin was no place for an animal. Without water (dehydration) and hot, dogs can only cool down through breathing...not a good decision by anyone here in this case.

IMO, more likely, "If I don't do what the FA says, they'll kick me off the plane and my life will be briefly inconvenienced, which would mean the end of the world as we know it."

Yeah, I was thinking of that when I wrote too.

They may also beat you up, drag you down the aisle and break a guitar over your head for good measure.

That was my first thought when I saw pics of the miniature pug. They are stressed and fragile on a good day.
It also looks like the pooch was too big to qualify for in-cabin travel. The dog has to be able to stand up in the carrier underneath the seat. That really only works with the little rat dogs.

Couple things:

That's a "few" things.

"Trust" authority? More like the Flight Nazi's threat of being dragged off and arrested then charged by the Feds with "interfering with a flight crew" like you're a hijacker, or beaten senseless by airport thugs for "resisting".

Couple things:

1) Stop traveling with your pets. It's torture for the dog, and if traveling in the cabin then potentially annoying to other pax. This "emotional support" nonsense has to stop...
ONCE our dog flew with us commercially, we had no choice as we were bringing him home across the country..Yes he was in the cabin.

So, let me get this straight -- You are telling everyone that they shouldn't bring their pets on an airplane, while admitting that you did that very thing? Oh, I'm sorry, you "had no choice". Really? I believe that automobiles have been around longer than airplanes.

Did the FA actually know there was a dog in the bag? That was one of those small softsided carriers. I can image: People are boarding, pax has what looks like a large purse in front of her feet instead of under the seat or maybe it's intruding into the aisle. FA walks the aisle, checking on things, says "That bag needs to be in the overhead", and moves on. Pax thinks, "WTF? The FA wants me to put my dog in the overhead!" FA walks back, tells pax again, "That bag needs to be in the overhead or we can't take off", and heads back to refill the drinks in first class. Pax complies, dog dies.

So, let me get this straight -- You are telling everyone that they shouldn't bring their pets on an airplane, while admitting that you did that very thing? Oh, I'm sorry, you "had no choice". Really? I believe that automobiles have been around longer than airplanes.

Yes, you got that straight. Driving in a car for 5 days from South Carolina to California was not a viable option.. plus, given that he traveled literally in my lap other than takeoff and landing (because DL is cool like that) for 5 hrs in a plane was probably less traumatizing for a 10 wk old puppy than 5 days in a car. Cumulative time he spent in the carrier, probably not greater that 45 minutes. If they told me to stuff him in an overhead I'd have said no way

As a human with logic, and rationality, I am capable of knowing when reasonable exceptions can be made to otherwise obvious rules.. so yes, I am telling everyone don't bring your pet on a plane, I don't plan to ever bring mine on a plane again either. I would also tell everyone not to jump out of a third story window, but if the building is on fire and I have no choices than I'll break my rules, think outside the box, and risk a broken ankle or leg and jump

Some people habitually fly with their pet whether flying home to see your grandma for the weekend, or to go to cousin Susie's wedding is not a legitimate reason in my book to drag a pet through the torment of air travel. I'm not implying this is what those people did.. but pets really don't belong on planes

Did the FA actually know there was a dog in the bag? That was one of those small softsided carriers.
From the sources I read, and comments on articles pulled from various social media feeds, etc., yes.. several pax witnessed the owner allegedly plead with the FA and then reluctantly put the dog up there. To make matters worse, people reportedly heard the dog up there crying for a little while

"
Passenger Maggie Gremminger, who witnessed the incident, told BuzzFeed News Castano was "very hesitant and reluctant" about putting the pet carrier in the overhead bin, explaining that her dog was inside.

"There was some back-and-forth before finally the flight attendant convinced her to move the carrier to the bin above," Gremminger said. "The gentleman sitting next to me (in 24B at that time) looked at one another to confirm what we had just seen, both of us acknowledging it was clearly a dog, and feeling stunned that it was placed there."

Another passenger, June Lara, said he was sitting behind the family during the exchange.

"They INSISTED that the puppy be locked up for three hours without any kind of airflow," he wrote on Facebook. "They assured the safety of the family's pet so wearily, the mother agreed."

Brayan Castano said his wife was unable to get up from her seat during the flight to check on the puppy because there was turbulence during the entire journey. BuzzFeed News has contacted United about this claim.
"

https://twitter.com/MaggieGrem/status/973421316253593600
https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniem...ight-attendant?utm_term=.uuVvXy6oP#.okP4X1gJm

The fact that UA wasted no time in taking ownership of this means they know they were in the wrong

United’s rate of incidents is “2.24 incidents every 10,000 animals transported”.

That is horrible odds. Your dog has a 10 times better chance of survival flying GA.

Ted should start a doggy airline.

From the sources I read, and comments on articles pulled from various social media feeds, etc., yes.. several pax witnessed the owner allegedly plead with the FA and then reluctantly put the dog up there. To make matters worse, people reportedly heard the dog up there crying for a little while

"
Passenger Maggie Gremminger, who witnessed the incident, told BuzzFeed News Castano was "very hesitant and reluctant" about putting the pet carrier in the overhead bin, explaining that her dog was inside.

"There was some back-and-forth before finally the flight attendant convinced her to move the carrier to the bin above," Gremminger said. "The gentleman sitting next to me (in 24B at that time) looked at one another to confirm what we had just seen, both of us acknowledging it was clearly a dog, and feeling stunned that it was placed there."

Another passenger, June Lara, said he was sitting behind the family during the exchange.

"They INSISTED that the puppy be locked up for three hours without any kind of airflow," he wrote on Facebook. "They assured the safety of the family's pet so wearily, the mother agreed."

Brayan Castano said his wife was unable to get up from her seat during the flight to check on the puppy because there was turbulence during the entire journey. BuzzFeed News has contacted United about this claim.
"

https://twitter.com/MaggieGrem/status/973421316253593600
https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniem...ight-attendant?utm_term=.uuVvXy6oP#.okP4X1gJm

The fact that UA wasted no time in taking ownership of this means they know they were in the wrong

Yeah, I did see that the FA is claiming to not have known, but that other pax are saying there was plenty of notice given there was a dog in the bag.

So, with all the bad publicity that UA is getting about dogs on board: At the next board meeting someone says, "Folks, we can't win here. Let's just give in and not allow pets in the cabin at all anymore." As soon as they make that announcement, magically everyone will have an "emotional support" animal.

I think (REALLY HOPE) that @Matthew has come up with what happened... If you assume this was an unfortunate accident... that seems to be a logical scenario as to how it could have happened... That said, I wonder if/why no one protested.

"The gentleman sitting next to me (in 24B at that time) looked at one another to confirm what we had just seen, both of us acknowledging it was clearly a dog, and feeling stunned that it was placed there. We chose, however, to say and do nothing."
There...fixed.

So, with all the bad publicity that UA is getting about dogs on board: At the next board meeting someone says, "Folks, we can't win here. Let's just give in and not allow pets in the cabin at all anymore." As soon as they make that announcement, magically everyone will have an "emotional support" animal.

The issue isn't with pets, it's with a major lack of common sense in their employees and how they conduct themselves.

I think (REALLY HOPE) that @Matthew has come up with what happened... If you assume this was an unfortunate accident... that seems to be a logical scenario as to how it could have happened... That said, I wonder if/why no one protested.
"Do you want to fly today?"

Back