Cogscreen

ahmad

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Midwest Aviator
Can you retake a cogscreen test if you have done poorly on it?

Ahmad, your Neurocog HIMS neuropsychologist will and can do that if he/she sees reason to do it. However, I'd get your obvious source of distress with this test, dealt with. Without getting the problem fixed, it's not going to yield any but the same thing.

I didn't score well my first time either. The test is on what appears to be on "equipment" older than a Commodore-64, and the stylus you use often doesn't register properly on the first tap. The second time I did much better, but that was likely because I was accustomed to the test and the format. Don't stress - go back and take it again.....bring a credit card or three.

Thank you for the replies.

I decided to not retake the cogscreen until I have figured out what lead me to do poorly as Dr. B suggested.

I was suspected of having sleep apnea. I went and got evaluated. Yesterday, I had the sleep study and after 2 hours of sleep the tech woke me up to say i absolutely have sleep apnea. hooked me up on cpap and collected more data. I haven't seen my sleep doc yet and don't know my ahi etc but the tech thought that i have moderate sleep apnea. I plan on obviously getting the cpap etc and getting treated.

I know i will need to retake the cogscreen and do well. Can anyone learn me on what it would take for me to get my 3rd class medical and get my wings back now that i am diagnosed with OSA?

thank you.

Sort of related; my 21 y/o granddaughter took the Cogscreen AE to deal with a concussion. She passed, but reported that her hands hurt afterward from using the equipment. Made me think that an older pilot with arthritic hands might have non-cognitive problems with the test. She is a serious equestrian, (just qualified for a USDF gold medal), so I'd say she has at least average hand strength/dexterity.

Good Morning Gentleman,

First of all I feel for anyone who is having to go through the painful COG-SCREEN battery of test.
I took mine some time ago and some of the scores were above average, and some were not.
I am hopping to retake this thing again, and see what happens I hope it works out.
Its funny I'm an airline guy, Simulator Check-airman and Instructor. I have been observed by FAA
Inspectors perform checkrides always with flying colors and complements. But the FEDS seem very faithful to this test.

I noted that during my testing the Evaluator was there right next to me wanting to be joined at the hip... I felt I would have done better alone, without the added pressure of someone watching you from behind.... Since I think most of us already walk into the test with the pressure of knowing that this little computer test has the capability of ending your career and long term income....

Can you guys share with me whats yall's opining and experience with the test ? Was it easy ? did you guys aced it on the first round?

Thanks

Can you guys share with me whats yall's opining and experience with the test ? Was it easy ? did you guys aced it on the first round?

I took the Cogscreen-AE last summer. I prepared for it by doing about 2 months of Lumosity beforehand, which I think helped. It is definitely nerve-wracking, but that's less to do with the test itself and more to do with having so much on the line... Fortunately, I did great - decades of video games finally paid off! ;)

The Cogscreen site gives a breakdown of the various sections: http://www.cogscreen.com/Overview.aspx

Backward Digit Span (BDS): The computer will flash a series of digits (I think it starts out with 3), and when it is done, you key in the series, but in reverse. So it will flash '5', then '7', then '4', then prompt you to enter in the series in reverse. It then gradually increases the length of the series (I think it went up to 6-7 digits).

Math: This was pretty straightforward and was your basic slew of simple word problems, multiple choice answers.

Visual Sequence Comparison (VSC): This test provided 5-6 letter strings that you had to discern between. Think of it as trying to pick out N563E8 from NS63F8 and other very similar looking strings (made even more similar looking thanks to that utterly ancient old DOS font).

Symbol Digit Coding (SDC): This is just a computer version of a standard test, which is best illustrated by a picture rather than me trying to describe it: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/projec...nt_id=phd003850&image_name=phd003850.1-g1.jpg
For the Cogscreen-AE test, I think there are only 6 symbol pairs, but the test is the same regardless. Protip: Even if you are really quick in checking the onscreen chart while keying in your responses, make sure to memorize perhaps 3 of the symbol/digit pairs. After the test, it will quiz you on how many digit/symbol pairs you recall. Sneakily, it will do this _again_ a few minutes later after you've done a completely different test!

Matching to Sample (MTS): I forget the specifics of how this was implemented in Cogscreen, but here's the wikipedia page on this type of test - note the accompanying graphic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match-to-sample_task
Basically you're shown a pattern made on a checkerboard, then afterwards you need to pick that pattern out of several very similar looking patterns.

Manikin (MAN): You're shown a little graphic of a dude holding a semaphore flag in one hand, and you need to enter in as quickly as possible if the flag is in his left or right hand. The little guy may be facing towards you or away from you, and he'll even get rotated upside down. I think flying RC planes helped a lot with this test, as you don't have time to think through "okay, if the flag was in my right hand, and I was facing that way and upside down...."

Divided Attention (DAT): Several of the tests wind up being repeated but with the addition of an additional little graphic that you have to keep an eye on. There's a little bar that will move left and right, and you need to keep it centered. Honestly, it reminded me of tapping the rudder on a taildragger! If the bar starts moving left on its own, it will continue moving left, so the way that I did these divided attention tests was to just get the bar centered and then alternately tap left-right-left-right to keep it centered and focus on the main task. Later tests had an additional attention dividing task as well - a marker would randomly creep its way up a gauge, and once it got past a certain line, you needed to hit a key.

Auditory Sequence Comparison (ASC): Computer will go "beep barp bloop bloop". (I think it did the same pattern one more time as well). Then, the computer will go "beep barp bloop barp" and ask if it's the same tone series it just played.

Pathfinder (PF): "Visual sequencing and scanning task that requires respondents to sequence numbers, letters, and an alternating set of numbers and letters." I don't remember much about this one, but I seem to recall that it had a bunch of squares with letters around the border, and the task was to tap on them in alphabetic order. So imagine Scrabble tiles of A-M scattered around, and you have to tap A-B-C-D-E... in order as quick as possible. Numbers are also added in, and the final Pathfinder test is tapping out the series A-1-B-2-C-3-D-4-E-5...

Shifting Attention (SAT): This was just Cogscreen's version of the Wisconsin Card Sorting Task. Rather than me trying to describe this test, this page has a description and sample test that you can run in your browser: https://www.psytoolkit.org/experiment-library/wcst.html

Dual Task (DTT): This is the one I mentioned previously - the side task of keeping a rudder centered, hitting a key if a needle goes above a line on a gauge, all while doing the main task, which was to respond with the previous digit shown in a series. That's not a great description, so let me give an example... The computer shows '2', then '1'. Then it prompts you for "what was the previous digit in the series? You respond with '2', the computer then displays '3', then asks again for the previous digit in the series, so you respond with '1'. The computer then shows '2', you respond with '3', etc... Basically you just have to keep responding in that fashion. For some reason this core task by itself gave me fits (especially if there are repeating digits - computer says '2', I respond with '2', and then lose my place). Oddly enough, it was when the additional side tasks of keeping the rudder centered and keeping an eye on the creeping vertical gauge were added that I fell into a solid rhythm and absolutely nailed this test better than without the side distractions...

That's about what I remember of the tests - specific details may be off, but it should give a solid overview of things to expect. For all my worry, I wound up doing just fine and didn't need any further testing. Lumosity is pricey at $15/month, but I think it's worthwhile to do a month or two of it before taking the Cogscreen-AE test. The games are based on cognitive testing and I think it helps you get into the correct mindset, plus the feedback regarding your performance within your age group lets you focus on tests that you may be weaker in.

Hey Thanks a lot for the feedback!, I also felt that I got lost when counting number thing started sorta of lost track....

Apologies if anything I posted was offensive. I've deleted my post, as the post I was replying to was also deleted. I'm guessing there was some followup that was also wiped away that I missed.

Has any of you all, had to submit medical records to FAA ? Do you sign a consent and they will search them out ?
Or do we have to get the paper copies then submit them ? Whats the deal if the records they want are so old that the doctor already deleted them ?
Can you go see a new doc and let him reconstruct the history ?

Thanks guys ! ;)
No, you have to get the records together and send them in (or your AME sends them in, depending on the specifics). I've never heard of a physician's office actually deleting old records. Usually they send them off to some company that keeps medical archives like Iron Mountain. If the doctor has retired and his office has closed, it might be a little hard to get them, but should still be possible - after all, they are YOUR medical history.

If the FAA wants the records from a specific episode, they really want THOSE records, but depending on what it is for, they might accept a new exam and tests instead. I think it really depends on the details of the case.

And yes, I've submitted medical records to get a 3rd class - but never anything from so far back that I had trouble getting the records. Good luck with that, I hope you're able to obtain them.

Sort of related; my 21 y/o granddaughter took the Cogscreen AE to deal with a concussion. She passed, but reported that her hands hurt afterward from using the equipment. Made me think that an older pilot with arthritic hands might have non-cognitive problems with the test. She is a serious equestrian, (just qualified for a USDF gold medal), so I'd say she has at least average hand strength/dexterity.
Hi,

I wanted to know more about your granddaughter concussion as she cleared cogscreen test, I have suffered a mild concussion in November 2014 while returning from the office. I am now trying for getting my class I medical certificate since last few months where I will be completing the neuropsychological testings as mentioned in FAA letter. I have uniletaral anosmia in my right nostril except that I have no other problem.

Thank you

Can't help much. She went on to focus on horses (dressage) and never got an FAA medical or her PPL. She has no problems that I know of and competes at the highest levels of her sport.

updating my thread. I ended up taking my sleep apnea seriously and followed through with whatever the sleep doctor suggested.
After doing poorly on the cogscreen as well as the full battery of tests the psychiatrist couldn't recommend a SI. I ended up using the cpap machine every day for 3 years. After 3 years of usage I went back and retook the cogscreen and battery of tests. I did better this time and the psychiatrist has recommended a SI. Last week I saw Dr. B for my physical. We have submitted everything to the FAA. My fingers are crossed and I am really hoping I get their blessing and getting the SI issuance granted.

I will taking the cog screen pretty soon. I am wondering do all cog screen participants have to take a drug test afterwards or just those with some type of history. My screening is triggered by a head injury. I am reading they do the drug screen some time afterwards, do I need to plan on staying a day or so just for a drug screen?

updating my thread. I ended up taking my sleep apnea seriously and followed through with whatever the sleep doctor suggested.
After doing poorly on the cogscreen as well as the full battery of tests the psychiatrist couldn't recommend a SI. I ended up using the cpap machine every day for 3 years. After 3 years of usage I went back and retook the cogscreen and battery of tests. I did better this time and the psychiatrist has recommended a SI. Last week I saw Dr. B for my physical. We have submitted everything to the FAA. My fingers are crossed and I am really hoping I get their blessing and getting the SI issuance granted.
Good luck and way to stick with it.

I will taking the cog screen pretty soon. I am wondering do all cog screen participants have to take a drug test afterwards or just those with some type of history. My screening is triggered by a head injury. I am reading they do the drug screen some time afterwards, do I need to plan on staying a day or so just for a drug screen?

I am not sure I understand your question regarding drug testing. I had to do a urine test on the day of my cogscreen and HIMS visit to make sure I wasn't taking any stimulants. I'm not sure what stipulations the FAA will impose in my case if I do get the SI granted. I think it's case dependent.

It's usually for people that have a condition that could be treated with pharmaceuticals. A common condition is ADHD. They want to be sure the candidate isn't taking any ADHD treating medications during the test. The goal is to make sure the test represents the cognitive abilities of someone as they would be while they're flying (without prohibited meds in their system).

It's also possible that the psychologist could test for drug/alcohol current presence or biomarkers. The psychological evaluators have wide discretion to request testing if they think it's necessary to provide an accurate evaluation.

Its not a worry. I just read where someone was tested but it wasn’t the day of the test. I’ll be testing in Atlanta and just trying to plan how long I’ll be staying. Thanks for the information.

Definitely stay a day extra. I had 24 hours to get mine completed. I also had to fly out of state. Had I flown back to my home state the next morning I probably wouldn't have made the cutoff. The test is already taxing after 6 or so hours. Don't add to stress by having to rush for drug test

Updating my story/progress. I have gained a ton of valuable help from many on this site so I am hoping that this will help someone else. If nothing else it would at least shed some light to the process and how long it could take. I will try my best to provide the info as accurately as possible but understand that this process took me years and frankly I can not recall everything. If my story bores you to death I apologize in advance. lol

A little background before my dealing with my medical certificate saga:

8/24/2012 discovery flight. I found flying was really cool. SOLD.
8/26/2012 lessons began.
9/20/2012 1st solo.
10/16/2012 1st x country
11/18/2012 check ride and got my sports pilot lic. YASSS life is amazing. I love it.

I continued to fly all over the country in the Jabiru J230 until I decided I wanted to become a private pilot and fly the Cessna 172. So I applied to my 3rd class around mid 2016.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Around mid 2016 the FAA asked for some personal statement letters about my episode of lightheadedness(this would become bigger issue later on). Then asked for more letters to clarify things.

At this point point I was not denied and I could fly
11/25/2017 I flew to KLWC for Thanksgiving and I wondered if that was going to be my last flight. I enjoyed every minute of that. I figured I stop flying until this is cleared up.

-Jan 2017 The FAA asked for my medical records from all doctors
-March or April 2017 the medical records supplied to FAA
-April 20017 FAA asked for psychiatric evaluation
-May 2017 the private practitioner psychiatrist wrote a letter stating the anxiety was reactive to situation which has resolved and that I do not need any treatment or therapy. this was a very short, sweet, to the point kind of letter. Cost was $500 I believe.
-Some time around that time the FAA asked for pharmacy records. The pharmacy records sent by walgreens showed that there were a bunch of meds on the record that disqualifies you from getting the medical. To my knowledge I had not taken anything except for 0.25 mg of xanax for a few days for grief when my brother passed away in 2016. I was dumbfounded why the FAA and the pharmacy records was showing me as taking all those other drugs.
-July 2017 letter from FAA stating that due to those meds on pharmacy records and the poor psych eval by the private doc not acceptable I must see a HIMS psychiatrist for another eval.
-Oct 2017 I saw the HIMS psychiatrist who figured out what the hell was going on. The pharmacy records sent by walgreen was not my records. It was someone else's records. Not mine. HIMS guy wrote that since my taking of xanax from a friend once/twice was poor judgement on my part for a very brief period and that the rest of the pharmacy records were not mine I should be given SI. Unfortunately, he also wrote that he understands that the FAA may disagree and ask for Cogscreen etc. Cost $600 or $900. Dont remember.
-Nov 2017 The FAA asked for Cogscreen
-Nov 2017 I did the Cogscreen and performed poorly. Cost was $2100 I believe. The doc suspected I may have sleep apnea.
-At this point I was tired of dealing with this stuff and not sure if I wanted to continue
- Ok I am going to get the sleep test. Got the sleep test and found out I had sleep apnea. Cant remember what it cost me for the test etc but probably around $2000 with tests and cpap etc.
-Jan 2018 I surrendered my sports pilot lic. Thank God I had sent it via certified mail because it got lost in the mail and that FAA was threatening legal action. After giving them the certified letter receipt and tracking number they accepted that I did in fact send my lic back.
-March FAA letter says ok we will accept that you have surrendered your lic
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sorta stayed in limbo about this whole thing. Wasnt sure if I should continue but I said to myself I have been on the CPA for a while now so maybe I'd give it another go.
-June 2021 went to retake the Cogscreen
-Aug 2021 I did good on the cogscreen and the whole battery plus 9 yards. The doc stated she was good with me being issued a SI but that she understands that the FAA may ask for more testing. UGH nooooo. Dont say that. Cost $3000
-sept 2021 test results sent to the FAA. Everyone involved was feeling good about my issuance...except for me. I'd believe it when i see it.
-April 2022 letter from the FAA asking for another psychiatric neuro evaluation by HIMS plus pharmacy records etc etc
-May 2022 saw the HIMS psych for the neuro eval. Cost $3700
-June 2022 the neuro eval sent to the FAA. Everyone involved were happy and confident I'd get issued this time....except for me. I'd believe it when I see it.
-July 12, 2022 I was checking the website to see if anything showing like I had done for months and months. I was not expecting anything. BAM it shows I am issued. WHAAAAAT? SERIOUSLY?

July 12,2022 a date which will live in infamy in my world. Free at last. Free at last. Thank GOD almighty I am free at last. MANY MANY MANY thanks to Dr. Bruce Chien throughout this whole process and working with me. I am so grateful for his expertise and help along this tough journey.

Throughout this whole this I had to do urine and blood testing. ($100-$125) each time. I lost count.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These days I have been studying and practicing for my PPL. Got the written test out of the way with score of 98%. Went out flying a few times with my instructor and have nailed every maneuver and landings. I am confident I will get my ppl in the coming months and I plan on flying to KLWC AGAIN.

I wish everyone going through this struggle well and lots of luck. Persistence and patience will pay off.

Ahmad
-

Updating my story/progress. I have gained a ton of valuable help from many on this site so I am hoping that this will help someone else. If nothing else it would at least shed some light to the process and how long it could take. I will try my best to provide the info as accurately as possible but understand that this process took me years and frankly I can not recall everything. If my story bores you to death I apologize in advance. lol

A little background before my dealing with my medical certificate saga:

8/24/2012 discovery flight. I found flying was really cool. SOLD.
8/26/2012 lessons began.
9/20/2012 1st solo.
10/16/2012 1st x country
11/18/2012 check ride and got my sports pilot lic. YASSS life is amazing. I love it.

I continued to fly all over the country in the Jabiru J230 until I decided I wanted to become a private pilot and fly the Cessna 172. So I applied to my 3rd class around mid 2016.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Around mid 2016 the FAA asked for some personal statement letters about my episode of lightheadedness(this would become bigger issue later on). Then asked for more letters to clarify things.

At this point point I was not denied and I could fly
11/25/2017 I flew to KLWC for Thanksgiving and I wondered if that was going to be my last flight. I enjoyed every minute of that. I figured I stop flying until this is cleared up.

-Jan 2017 The FAA asked for my medical records from all doctors
-March or April 2017 the medical records supplied to FAA
-April 20017 FAA asked for psychiatric evaluation
-May 2017 the private practitioner psychiatrist wrote a letter stating the anxiety was reactive to situation which has resolved and that I do not need any treatment or therapy. this was a very short, sweet, to the point kind of letter. Cost was $500 I believe.
-Some time around that time the FAA asked for pharmacy records. The pharmacy records sent by walgreens showed that there were a bunch of meds on the record that disqualifies you from getting the medical. To my knowledge I had not taken anything except for 0.25 mg of xanax for a few days for grief when my brother passed away in 2016. I was dumbfounded why the FAA and the pharmacy records was showing me as taking all those other drugs.
-July 2017 letter from FAA stating that due to those meds on pharmacy records and the poor psych eval by the private doc not acceptable I must see a HIMS psychiatrist for another eval.
-Oct 2017 I saw the HIMS psychiatrist who figured out what the hell was going on. The pharmacy records sent by walgreen was not my records. It was someone else's records. Not mine. HIMS guy wrote that since my taking of xanax from a friend once/twice was poor judgement on my part for a very brief period and that the rest of the pharmacy records were not mine I should be given SI. Unfortunately, he also wrote that he understands that the FAA may disagree and ask for Cogscreen etc. Cost $600 or $900. Dont remember.
-Nov 2017 The FAA asked for Cogscreen
-Nov 2017 I did the Cogscreen and performed poorly. Cost was $2100 I believe. The doc suspected I may have sleep apnea.
-At this point I was tired of dealing with this stuff and not sure if I wanted to continue
- Ok I am going to get the sleep test. Got the sleep test and found out I had sleep apnea. Cant remember what it cost me for the test etc but probably around $2000 with tests and cpap etc.
-Jan 2018 I surrendered my sports pilot lic. Thank God I had sent it via certified mail because it got lost in the mail and that FAA was threatening legal action. After giving them the certified letter receipt and tracking number they accepted that I did in fact send my lic back.
-March FAA letter says ok we will accept that you have surrendered your lic

I sorta stayed in limbo about this whole thing. Wasnt sure if I should continue but I said to myself I have been on the CPA for a while now so maybe I'd give it another go.
-June 2021 went to retake the Cogscreen
-Aug 2021 I did good on the cogscreen and the whole battery plus 9 yards. The doc stated she was good with me being issued a SI but that she understands that the FAA may ask for more testing. UGH nooooo. Dont say that. Cost $3000
-sept 2021 test results sent to the FAA. Everyone involved was feeling good about my issuance...except for me. I'd believe it when i see it.
-April 2022 letter from the FAA asking for another psychiatric neuro evaluation by HIMS plus pharmacy records etc etc
-May 2022 saw the HIMS psych for the neuro eval. Cost $3700
-June 2022 the neuro eval sent to the FAA. Everyone involved were happy and confident I'd get issued this time....except for me. I'd believe it when I see it.
-July 12, 2022 I was checking the website to see if anything showing like I had done for months and months. I was not expecting anything. BAM it shows I am issued. WHAAAAAT? SERIOUSLY?

July 12,2022 a date which will live in infamy in my world. Free at last. Free at last. Thank GOD almighty I am free at last. MANY MANY MANY thanks to Dr. Bruce Chien throughout this whole process and working with me. I am so grateful for his expertise and help along this tough journey.

Throughout this whole this I had to do urine and blood testing. ($100-$125) each time. I lost count.

These days I have been studying and practicing for my PPL. Got the written test out of the way with score of 98%. Went out flying a few times with my instructor and have nailed every maneuver and landings. I am confident I will get my ppl in the coming months and I plan on flying to KLWC AGAIN.

I wish everyone going through this struggle well and lots of luck. Persistence and patience will pay off.

Ahmad
-

Congrats!!

Now go to Basic Med and never never NEVER NEVER play FAA medical roulette again!

Wow. That’s dedication.

I’m not clear what happened that resulted in you surrendering your sport pilot certificate?

Why would one surrender a pilot certificate over a denial of a medial certificate application?
Sorry about the confusion. The FAA actually requested that I surrender my temp medical certificate. Since I knew that once denied I would lose my sports pilot privileges too so I sent both.

Sorry about the confusion. The FAA actually requested that I surrender my temp medical certificate. Since I knew that once denied I would lose my sports pilot privileges too so I sent both.
Unable to exercise sport pilot privileges, yes because you were denied a medical certificate. But did they actually revoke your pilot certificate? For what?

Unable to exercise sport pilot privileges, yes because you were denied a medical certificate. But did they actually revoke your pilot certificate? For what?

No they didn't revoke my license. They asked that I return my issued medical certificate immediately. Since I knew that I was losing my sports pilot privileges it was useless to me so I sent it all. What is a lic good for if you lose the privileges is what I was thinking.

No they didn't revoke my license. They asked that I return my issued medical certificate immediately. Since I knew that I was losing my sports pilot privileges it was useless to me so I sent it all. What is a lic good for if you lose the privileges is what I was thinking.
It would be good for making the Private Pilot an add-on rating, rather than a new rating, which it would be if you surrendered your Sport Pilot certificate. You might check the airmen database and see if it shows you still have a SP certificate. If so, request a replacement so you can have it when you go for your PP check ride.

The web shows me having my sports pilot license still. I guess it is because the mail got lost and never made it to the FAA. I will get a replacement.

It would be good for making the Private Pilot an add-on rating, rather than a new rating, which it would be if you surrendered your Sport Pilot certificate. You might check the airmen database and see if it shows you still have a SP certificate. If so, request a replacement so you can have it when you go for your PP check ride.
FWIW, since he was not asked to surrender his sport pilot certificate, it was not treated as a voluntary surrender of certificate because he did not include a signed statement. See 14 CFR 61.27(b)

All here need to commend Ahmad for his persistence and compliance. It is an achievement. It's worth more, if it was WORK....and it was on his part. Medical qual is NOT for the faint of heart nor faint of determination and enlightenment.

Dr. B thank you for the kind words. I couldn't have done it without you. I am forever grateful to you. Thanks for all that you do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back