Jeopardy!

Yeah, Ronald Wayne was the 3rd founder... something I didn't know until I "asked Siri", as Lance suggested... and even Wikipedia credits him, even though he quickly left the company. Which is probably why Jeopardy didn't consider him a founder, since he left and sold his share before Apple became Apple, Inc. Seems a rather shaky argument though. Would not be the first flawed Jeopardy clue or answer to not be corrected during the program... usually the result is the contestant gets invited back. Did Lane try to argue his case?

Yeah, Ronald Wayne was the 3rd founder... something I didn't know until I "asked Siri", as Lance suggested... and even Wikipedia credits him, even though he quickly left the company. Which is probably why Jeopardy didn't consider him a founder, since he left and sold his share before Apple became Apple, Inc. Seems a rather shaky argument though. Would not be the first flawed Jeopardy clue or answer to not be corrected during the program... usually the result is the contestant gets invited back. Did Lane try to argue his case?

Well they did qualify the question by saying the founders had the same first name. The HP founders don't. So that was a big hint to who it was. But you never know. That could be a technicality.

I got it right, never heard of Ronald. I'm used to incorrect questions though...I'm an hvac and electrical contractor. You wouldn't believe some of the questions on those two contractors license exams. Some of the answers to pick from are all correct, some are all incorrect. You have to pick the one that is most correct or closest to being correct. I can't tell y'all how ****ed off I was after each exam.

I hear nurses exams are similar.

Well they did qualify the question by saying the founders had the same first name. The HP founders don't. So that was a big hint to who it was. But you never know. That could be a technicality.

I believe if you watch it again, that was not said until the time was up and everyone had their answers written down.

Plus HP was founded long before 1971. To me Apple was obvious. My wife even shouted it out before I did. Can’t believe he missed it.

However, Lane dominated the entire game until Final Jeopardy. He nearly had double the points of the eventual winner going into Final Jeopardy. That must really hurt to lose that way. He was definitely the better player of the two until the end. But that’s how the game is played. I do disagree with the second and third place players not getting the money that they earned. That would relieve the sting of losing such a game.

Still a lot to be proud of. He was impressive.

I believe if you watch it again, that was not said until the time was up and everyone had their answers written down.
Correct, that was not said until just before the contestants' answers were revealed. And at that point Lane reacted with visible disappointment.

Plus HP was founded long before 1971. To me Apple was obvious. My wife even shouted it out before I did. Can’t believe he missed it.
Agreed, in fact I couldn't even think of a second possibility. The date of founding made it pretty obvious to me. Still, the fact that there were actually three founders gives Lane a good argument IMO... and particularly if he thought of and then rejected Apple as a possibility for that reason.
However, Lane dominated the entire game until Final Jeopardy. He nearly had double the points of the eventual winner going into Final Jeopardy. That must really hurt to lose that way. He was definitely the better player of the two until the end. But that’s how the game is played. I do disagree with the second and third place players not getting the money that they earned. That would relieve the sting of losing such a game.
True, but maybe that's why the game is called... Jeopardy! ;)

Correct, that was not said until just before the contestants' answers were revealed. And at that point Lane reacted with visible disappointment.

Ah, didn't realize that. Just remember it had been said.

Watched it last night. We hadn't remembered that there were three founders of Apple, but that was the company that came to mind. HP was founded before WWII. Several of their signal generators (first product?) were bought by Disney for use in making Fantasia. HP clearly couldn't have been the company.

Congratulations to Lane. $40k isn't bad money. Even after you pay the taxes, travel and other expenses.

Alex Trebeck apologized to Cliff Claven when it was apparent that the answer Cliff gave was essentially correct..... but not the answer Alex was looking for.....

Alex Trebeck apologized to Cliff Claven when it was apparent that the answer Cliff gave was essentially correct..... but not the answer Alex was looking for.....
That's happened any number of times. I think Alex only has the literal printed answer the judges are looking for, and sometimes has to look at them for a decision in case a contestant gives a different, but possibly correct answer. Sometimes the judges put their heads together and only make a ruling a few minutes later. That's when Alex will announce a change in scoring.

It doesn't happen so often that someone is wrongly ruled against and the error is not corrected until after the program. In this case, as Ghery says, HP has been around for a long time so there is probably no chance Lane's answer might be later ruled as correct, even if the clue was a bit misleading.

Been watching, he's a good player. I flew Alex and Barbara Eden a few times back in 2004.

Back