Can't get a cold one in Arkansas on Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd always see beer and wind in the supermarkets there and thought it was weird.

Fartin and burpin is common when beer is consumed. Bars are much noisier than grocery stores, which is why you noticed that “wind” in the grocery store. ;)

Fartin and burpin is common when beer is consumed. Bars are much noisier than grocery stores, which is why you noticed that “wind” in the grocery store. ;)

Didn't catch that. :D

Ignorant blue laws. I hate them. Got to love how one has to suffer for the silly beliefs of others.

If you don't like the laws, why are you living there? Like I tell people around here, the interstate runs north and south. Pick one.

If you aren't living there, why are you bothered?

When I started at Appalachian, Watauga was a dry county, the kids had to drive to Blowing Rock and there were three beer stores on the county line. Not really a big deal. They allowed beer and wine when I was there, then raised the drinking age to 21. Again, not a big deal.

If not being able to drink on Sunday is "suffering", this might turn into a HIMS thread.

In Colorado you can only buy wine and hard liquor in liquor stores. But you can buy 3.2 beer in grocery stores.

The weirder one is no dealer automotive sales on Sunday. But it does give you a day to wander the lots without a leech coming out to try to sell you something.

That's one thing we got right in California. Seven days a week, 0600-0200. Grocery stores carry all types of alcoholic beverages, as do most convenience stores. Nevada is even better - 24/7.

Exact same hours here. Washington - all the benefits of California but without the income tax.

I'm in Murfreesboro AR.
Great weather. Grillin and relaxing.

I asked the woman at this hotel where I can grab some beers and she says "can't buy beer in Arkansas on Sunday"

Is that true? In Texas it's liquor specific.
But grilling and drinking LaCroix is not cutting it.

If you get a bit farther north, beer can be had 24/7 at Anymouse manor. ;)

On the off chance a tragedy strikes and I slip up and run out on Sunday I live about 15 miles from Missouri and (not coincidentally) one of the busiest liquor stores in the state.
ha ha. My joke about Utah liquor law: where’s the busiest Utah liquor store? Evanston Wyoming. More Utah plates in the liquor store parking lot than Wyoming plates. Liquor store staff was congenial to strangers (at least compared to what I am used to in Denver). Anyway it seemed folks liked to avoid the state run liquor stores in Utah.

Never cared much for 3.2 beer . . . Now I've discovered craft beers are very tasty at up to 8.7%.

I love the fact that good tasting craft beers now dominate the coolers, but I don't like the trend for high alcohol beers. I like to be able to drink a few beers and enjoy them instead of having to quit after one or two.

Connecticut used to prohibit alcohol sales in stores on Sunday until a couple of years ago. Every state is different. In NY you can buy beer in a grocery store or "beverage store"; "liquor stores" sell spirits and wine, but no beer. And when I was going to school in Illinois years ago, you could buy any kind of alcohol in any kind of store, supermarkets, drug stores, whatever... but not before noon on Sunday. But just across the river in Missouri, Sunday alcohol sales were only allowed until noon (I may have that backwards, it's been a long time). Then in Kansas when I was there in the 1980s you could only drink in a "private club" so it was important to stay at a hotel that had a bar so you'd be considered a temporary club member, which gave you reciprocal privileges at any other "club". All in the name of protecting public morals.

Ignorant blue laws. I hate them. Got to love how one has to suffer for the silly beliefs of others.

Tangentially...

I've lived and worked across a lot of the lower 48 and one thing I've noticed is that the "more religious" an area, the more beer cans you see tossed out on the side of the road.

Gotta get rid of the evidence before getting home to momma.

KS allows 3.2 beer sales in grocery store only. It's a local decision now on if sales are allowed on Sunday. Where I live they allow grocery store 3.2 beer sales after noon (? might be later) on Sundays.

Liquor stores are not allowed to sell anything other than beer, wine, and liquor. 3.2 beer is classified as a "cereal malt beverage", not "beer", so it can't be sold there. The side effect of that law is that liquor store can't sell ice, cups, mixers, and other things non-alcoholic. So they will have an attached "party shop" with a separate cash register.

When I was in college the laws were changing: Used to be that 18yo could drink 3.2 beer in 18-bars that couldn't serve anything else. All other bars were "clubs" and you needed to be a member. You would buy a "club card" for something like $10/year and all clubs reciprocated. They then changed the laws that you had to be 21 even for 3.2 beer. It was phased in over 3 yrs, so if you were legal already at 18 you were grandfathered in.

I love the fact that good tasting craft beers now dominate the coolers, but I don't like the trend for high alcohol beers. I like to be able to drink a few beers and enjoy them instead of having to quit after one or two.

Connecticut used to prohibit alcohol sales in stores on Sunday until a couple of years ago. Every state is different. In NY you can buy beer in a grocery store or "beverage store"; "liquor stores" sell spirits and wine, but no beer. And when I was going to school in Illinois years ago, you could buy any kind of alcohol in any kind of store, supermarkets, drug stores, whatever... but not before noon on Sunday. But just across the river in Missouri, Sunday alcohol sales were only allowed until noon (I may have that backwards, it's been a long time). Then in Kansas when I was there in the 1980s you could only drink in a "private club" so it was important to stay at a hotel that had a bar so you'd be considered a temporary club member, which gave you reciprocal privileges at any other "club". All in the name of protecting public morals.

Crazy stuff. You just have to wonder about the intelligence of the people who write, pass, and sign these laws. As much as we all ***** about the federal government, state and local ones are the worst.

Crazy stuff. You just have to wonder about the intelligence of the people who write, pass, and sign these laws. As much as we all ***** about the federal government, state and local ones are the worst.

I’m not so sure anyone is currently proposing these laws, more likely they have always been so, but the local politicians are generally hung up on “the way it’s always been,” are likely teetotalers, and just refuse to allow change.

Tangentially...

I've lived and worked across a lot of the lower 48 and one thing I've noticed is that the "more religious" an area, the more beer cans you see tossed out on the side of the road.

Gotta get rid of the evidence before getting home to momma.

On the subject of beer cans tossed aside. On many of the trails that the wife and I go for walks on, we often see numerous beer cans strewn around. I’d estimate that 4/5, if not more, of them are Bud Light. I wonder what that says about the Bud Light demographic. I’d also have thought that folks who go hiking in the woods would be the type that would care more about keeping nature beautiful but it doesn’t seem that way. We sometimes remember to take a trash bag with us to pick up the cans and then drop the bag in one of the many trash cans that are available. I just don’t understand the mentality.

I recall flying into Tyrone Georgia on a Sunday night and being unable to purchase any kind of alcohol in any form (unless I went to the liquor stores just outside of town). Its very, very weird here, you can get booze at a State store, though some grocery stores can have them, but only a select few. You can get beer and wine just about anywhere. The only thing I truly miss about California was the availability of booze everywhere.

So I didn't want to start a thread on it because maybe I am a total lib tree hugger and don't know it.
Driving through Arkansas (sw corner inbound) 3 different vehicles in front of me all tossing trash out the window.

This is such a foreign concept to me.
"Dont mess with Texas" drilled into my head since I was a child and all.

It would just never occur to me to toss stuff out onto the street.

I was following a truck and right pax tosses a large foam cup into the ditch, then the driver tosses out what appears to be a mtn Dew bottle (plastic not glass) into the street. 1/2 minute later, pax tosses out a paper fast food sack into the ditch

@timwinters the ditches on the road side here are overcast. Ok maybe broken but definitely not scattered with trash and cans.

Again, this is quite a different area than where I spend most of my time so maybe I am in a little bubble and this is more common than I think but not something I see on a regular basis at all.

I’m not so sure anyone is currently proposing these laws, more likely they have always been so, but the local politicians are generally hung up on “the way it’s always been,” are likely chicken shets to change them.

FTFY :)

I was born and lived in Arkansas until 2006, and yes there's some dumb blue laws in Arkansas. And, the dry counties are even dumber. In 28 years of living there I never lived in a non-dry county, and from my observations dry counties just amped up DUI probabilities. Sunday laws just meant everyone really, really stocked up on Friday and Saturday. The only people it really catches are folks like you from out of town. You *can* go to a restaurant and buy beer (at least I think that's how it worked) on Sunday afternoons, but all beer/liquor stores are closed on Sundays.

The littering people are just @ssholes that don't care that they're trashing up their own state. I don't know if it's more prevalent in Arkansas than elsewhere, but you'd especially see it on dirt roads out in the rural areas where I grew up.

I wanted to and couldn't. That's why I live in Arizona now.

Not the real reason of course but I surely don't miss the blue laws, the hypocrites, the humidity, mosquitoes and tornadoes.
So wait - are you saying there aren't hypocrites in Arizona?

Most local laws won't put you in the slam for life for violating the most innocuous ones like the feds do.

That's one thing we got right in California. Seven days a week, 0600-0200. Grocery stores carry all types of alcoholic beverages, as do most convenience stores. Nevada is even better - 24/7.
I got ya one better.. beer and liquor 24x7x365 here.. No silly package stores etc.. the only place it gets funky is downtown or on the strip.. No consuming package liquor on the street

The weirder one is no dealer automotive sales on Sunday. But it does give you a day to wander the lots without a leech coming out to try to sell you something.
We have that law here too.. But only in Las Vegas.. Go to henderson, and they're open

I'm in Murfreesboro AR.
Great weather. Grillin and relaxing.

I asked the woman at this hotel where I can grab some beers and she says "can't buy beer in Arkansas on Sunday"

Is that true? In Texas it's liquor specific.
But grilling and drinking LaCroix is not cutting it.

State Law for Sunday and from 12am to 7am daily. You can still go to a restaurant unless it's a Dry County or the county has more stringent serving laws.

It REALLY depends on the county and city you're in. Basically the more rural the more teetotaler.

What's even better is there is a college that bans even the staff for drinking in their own home or in public out of town.

We use to have Blue Laws which forbade ANY sales of any item including vending machines on Sunday. Basically if you needed something on Sunday you were SOL. Better be in Church!!

I got ya one better.. beer and liquor 24x7x365 here.. No silly package stores etc.. the only place it gets funky is downtown or on the strip.. No consuming package liquor on the street

Heck y'all have drive-in pot dispensaries as well as walk-in ones. No wonder @eman1200 likes to go there, bet that's why he bought the Bo!

When I lived and worked in Vegas, I would frequently get off from work after legal hours in most states. It was nice to be able to stop somewhere regardless of the time and get a beer or two before going home if I felt like it. I’m not one to keep the fridge well stocked with beer as I prefer to just buy it when I want it. Thirst can’t tell time or read a calendar.

Liberty U?

Harding U. There was a huge controversy last year when the county started letting restaurant sale private memberships to buy drinks. Harding had been very successful at keeping the city, county and some of the surrounding counties dry.

The university issued a statement that said students and employees are "allowed" to dine but are still expressly forbidden to have any alcohol at that restaurant.

That school has some very very screwed up rules and beliefs. More power to people that love the school but I'll never step foot on that campus.

Harding U. There was a huge controversy last year when the county started letting restaurant sale private memberships to buy drinks. Harding had been very successful at keeping the city, county and some of the surrounding counties dry.

The university issued a statement that said students and employees are "allowed" to dine but are still expressly forbidden to have any alcohol at that restaurant.

That school has some very very screwed up rules and beliefs. More power to people that love the school but I'll never step foot on that campus.

My wife went to ORU. Had to sign an honor code thing staying she wouldn't do lots of things.

F that place.

I was walking through the campus once and was asked to leave because I had facial hair.

F that place.

Wouldn't think that would stop anyone though, but then again they probably have "agent" patrolling the restaurant. ;)

My wife went to ORU. Had to sign an honor code thing staying she wouldn't do lots of things.

F that place.

I was walking through the campus once and was asked to leave because I had facial hair.

F that place.

Yeah but you're a ****ing radical Hollywood film maker, so that's understandable. :D

When I lived and worked in Vegas, I would frequently get off from work after legal hours in most states. It was nice to be able to stop somewhere regardless of the time and get a beer or two before going home if I felt like it. I’m not one to keep the fridge well stocked with beer as I prefer to just buy it when I want it. Thirst can’t tell time or read a calendar.
True dat... It's definitely interesting getting a jack and coke at 8:00 AM when playing craps after an all nighter

Had to google Harding as I have never heard of it. What a bunch of fruitcakes. I don’t see how an employer can get away with dictating how employees conduct themselves when they are off duty. I bet they have their share of nosy busybodies who will dime a fellow employee out if they see him having a drink.

I despise other people practicing their religion all over me. I respect their beliefs and would do all I can to protect their right to worship as they see fit. Why they have to deny me the right to do as I see fit I cannot fathom.

I despise other people practicing their religion all over me. I respect their beliefs and would do all I can to protect their right to worship as they see fit. Why they have to deny me the right to do as I see fit I cannot fathom.

So you understand when I say I no longer want to be used as the backing and banker for the impending higher education loan system crash? :)

Just poking at you professor. But that’s turned into as big of a religion as any. It’s well into cult status at this point. Even stronger than the housing bubble and fears of a worldwide collapse in monetary systems if AIG failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back