Question For CFIs - Deciding not to fly in a student's airplane

Had a guy show up for a BFR (when they were called that) in A Stearman. Said he'd fly the C152 if I wanted him to. Hell no, Stearman time dude, (well didn't use 'dude' back then, probably man) let's fly!

I was going to do a tail wheel endorsement in a Stearman, but the day I was scheduled to do so, someone put it in the trees a quarter mile short of the runway. :frown:

When I started my IR (that I still need to complete oh so many years later) I used my club 177RG for flights when I could get to my preferred instructor VFR.

As I recall there was a cursory review of the physical condition of the plane, but nothing to the level of examining logbooks.

[This thread reminds me I'm looking for CFII willing to train me in my RV. I'll be using a most of my spare time in the next 3 weeks to get the written done so I can finish the sucka]

I tried to get a fed to renew my CFI with a checkride in my Maule. Her excuse was they weren't allowed to do elective checkrides.

Maybe she really thought that my airplane was dangerous...:eek:

Elective checkride? WTF is that, like a elective college course?

When I started my IR (that I still need to complete oh so many years later) I used my club 177RG for flights when I could get to my preferred instructor VFR.

As I recall there was a cursory review of the physical condition of the plane, but nothing to the level of examining logbooks.

[This thread reminds me I'm looking for CFII willing to train me in my RV. I'll be using a most of my spare time in the next 3 weeks to get the written done so I can finish the sucka]

I'll do ya but ya gotta come to Bamaland! :cornut:

As CFIs (and pilots) we often abdicate out legal responsibilities in this area.

When I was instructing, I knew the mechanics who maintained the airplane's I taught in, and trusted them to ensure that the owners weren't screwing up too badly.

Not that trust isn't a good thing, if you trust the right people, but it's also one of the reasons I quit renting airplanes.

I don't have that problem with my CFII. He's also an A&P and maintains our club's planes. He knows anything that is wrong with them before I do. :D

Back