I Gotta Problem With My Radio

farky

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
farky
The Narco 120 TSO in my Citabria works fine, but this afternoon one of the number rolls that displays the channel must have skipped a gear or something....I'm not real familiar with how they're put together. For example, to use 122.8, I need to have it on 132.8. Any fix for it? Worth fixing or better to put like a Garmin SL30 or something similar?

SL30 isn't a cheap alternative, they're fetching $2500 or more. Even an SL40 brings $1500 (same comm, but no NAV)

Look around and see if you can find a TKM MX11 on the used market. Should be less than a grand.

Many years ago, I had a Genave Alpha 200 that did the same thing, the shop's repair was to open the cover and flex the long selector
shaft enough to slip the gear back into the proper mesh, followed by lubing the bearings at the ends of the shaft.

The Narco 120 TSO in my Citabria works fine, but this afternoon one of the number rolls that displays the channel must have skipped a gear or something....I'm not real familiar with how they're put together. For example, to use 122.8, I need to have it on 132.8. Any fix for it? Worth fixing or better to put like a Garmin SL30 or something similar?
Welcome to the club. I think we have 3 Com120’s with this issue. They made the damn gears out of plastic! We ended up with a used TKM MX11 mentioned above, which is a slide in replacement for the 120. I thought I saw one for sale on one of the forums lately. Probably about $500.

Go with the MX. That's what I did when my KX170 died. Simple slide in and now you have digital.

So if I go with the MX 11, is this something I can install myself or do I need letters behind my name?

SL30 isn't a cheap alternative, they're fetching $2500 or more. Even an SL40 brings $1500 (same comm, but no NAV)

Look around and see if you can find a TKM MX11 on the used market. Should be less than a grand.

For that price I'd be looking at a garmin 250/300, get a GPS and a nav com in about the same footprint

The cheapest and easiest way to go is probably with the max 11 ,slide in replacement.

Improper use of "gotta". It is a slang contraction of "got to", not "got a". So basically your title states "I got to problem with my radio" which makes no sense.

Gotta go!

Improper use of "gotta". It is a slang contraction of "got to", not "got a". So basically your title states "I got to problem with my radio" which makes no sense.

Gotta go!
Excuse me, no. Gotta is a contextual slang. It can mean got-to or got-a depending on the context in which it is used. Gotta problem and Gotta go are perfect examples.

Jim

Gotta go!

Excuse me, no. Gotta is a contextual slang. It can mean got-to or got-a depending on the context in which it is used. Gotta problem and Gotta go are perfect examples.

You two gotta git it together

Back