Unsupported Protocol Problem

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
On one of several computers behind a common modem and router, I can suddenly no longer log on to one site and get the following error message:

www.ancestry.com uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

The other computers in the house on the same wi-fi have no problem. Using Windows 10 and this machine is a fairly old Acer. It has worked fine on this site for years. Any ideas? Since it has very recently appeared, it has a whiff of update results.

Check if the date/time on that computer is set correctly.

there are a ton of results when google searching that error.

Make sure you have SSL V2 &3 disabled in your browser; Ancestry[.]com supports neither - as it should.

Make sure the date, time, and time zone are correct. Make sure your browser is updated to the newest version.

Time, date, & time zone are correct. Browser (Chrome) and Windows updates are current. Problem also occurs in "Edge" browser.

Ancestry needs to fix their crap.
The Ancestry site runs on two other Windows 10/Chrome computers in the house, just not this one. It ran on this one until a couple of days ago. I downloaded and installed the newest Chrome from Google with no change. The error message does indicate though that it is Ancestry that is using an unsupported protocol. But, if that is true, why are the other two computers able to handle it??

Last edited:
The Ancestry site runs on two other Windows 10/Chrome computers in the house, just not this one. It ran on this one until a couple of days ago. I downloaded and installed the newest Chrome from Google with no change.

That’s not a good sign.

Would lean toward saying the non-functioning one is going through some sort of proxy whether good (security software) or bad (malware) before reaching ancestry then. The browser isn’t really talking to Ancestry and that’s why it’s cranky.

Would ask if any different plugins in the browser between that one and the others but you said it’s affecting all browsers on the box.

So... any different security software between all of them? Web filtering type software specifically?

I have tried typing in the URL "Ancestry.com" with the same result. Doing a google search on "ancestry" and then clicking on the search results gets me to some of the subsets of the site but can't transition with in the site to about half of the sections. All the computers are using the same virus sofwtare, Bitdefender Total Security 2018" and they are going through the same router and modem.

Well, it is fixed but it was PFM. I worked through several things with no success. Just now tried it again and it is working correctly.

Back