Advice on Garmin 300XL

Cruzinchris

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cruzinchris
I have one in my Beechcraft Sport. It is nicely connected to a Mid-Continent MD41 feeding a KI-206 CDI. The database is ancient. I am thinking about working on my instrument rating. Garmin is giving me the run around on database updates. Should I give up on this box?

Garmin doesn't provide the database for that unit, Jeppesen does. They still offer updates as far as I can tell on their website.

It's a fine GPS for what it is, I flew with one for about 10 years. It has some definite limitations, though:
- It doesn't have non-GPS procedures in the database.
- It does not handle "vectors to final" very intuitively, which is the most common way to fly approaches in many areas of the country.
- It is getting pretty old and future support will be an issue.
- It is not WAAS, so you only get LNAV approaches, meaning no vertically-guided GPS approaches and higher minimums.

We were in a similar spot with the KLN-89B, and took the ADS-B upgrade as an opportunity to ditch it. We went with a GTN 750, which is probably overkill on the baby Beech, but IMO if you're going to do something, at least get something with a color display and WAAS (to feed your ADS-B transponder). There's got to be some used 430Ws available.

Also, it is worth talking to your avionics shop. Sometimes these old units are actually supportable, sometimes you're one busted knob or display issue away from an expensive, unplanned upgrade. IMO, better to keep your upgrades planned!

I checked with Garmin some time ago (last year) and they said they would support it (repair) except for the gas display. I have the VFR version of the 300XL, a 250XL and purchased updates for it a year ago. I was thinking of swapping out my 250 for the 300 but it would have been more than 1/2 the price of a 430 so I didn't. I recently checked and map updates are still provided. Before spending almost $10K plus on a used replacement and install (430W) I would absolutely use the 300XL. It is a great unit and the few bells and whistles it doesn't have won't bother you in training a bit unless your flying for the airlines. You'll get better training with some hand flying anyway. Then if you want something else later you will have a better idea of what to get.

Despite all the banter about PFD technology and autopilot support so-called improvements, this is one segment of the avionics debate where everybody is grabbing their ankles, exab and certified indentured servants alike. People always going on about "glass for less than 5 amus". Screw that, how about WAAS /G for less than 10 amus installed (indicator included) for a change? Nope, crickets. Hell, I'd settle for a new non-touchscreen WAAS offering in order to realize said savings. Nope, no soup for you. Complete captive audience.

At the hull values I dabble in, it's buy the thing with the box already wired in, or don't bother.

I checked with Garmin some time ago (last year) and they said they would support it (repair) except for the gas display. I have the VFR version of the 300XL, a 250XL and purchased updates for it a year ago. I was thinking of swapping out my 250 for the 300 but it would have been more than 1/2 the price of a 430 so I didn't. I recently checked and map updates are still provided. Before spending almost $10K plus on a used replacement and install (430W) I would absolutely use the 300XL. It is a great unit and the few bells and whistles it doesn't have won't bother you in training a bit unless your flying for the airlines. You'll get better training with some hand flying anyway. Then if you want something else later you will have a better idea of what to get.

Thanks for that. I was wondering if it met the minimum for IFR training and the checkride. Sounds like it will. I am sure the DPR would want a current database!

I have the GX-50 and I like it and I'm about to pull the trigger on a new database and of course a devise to load the data card. I do most of my flying on the tablet which I can update for free and use the panel mount as backup. Of course, this is VFR flying.

Thanks for that. I was wondering if it met the minimum for IFR training and the checkride. Sounds like it will. I am sure the DPR would want a current database!

You can't fly IFR legally without a current database anyway so a subscription may be the thing to do. You would have to do that for any unit in any event.

I don't believe there are any specific requirements for IFR equipment for training unless your instructor requires it. I believe a VOR is probably all that is really required.

BTW: If the gas display ever goes you can sometimes still buy a used parts unit cheap on eBay, sometimes for a few hundred $ and that should get you by for a while longer.

I'll offer to dispose of it properly.

Please package it carefully and insure it for $1500. I'll PM you my address.

Joking aside, the 300 is a very good unit. A 250XL is actually at my upgrade price point.

The 430 still commands used car prices.

You can't fly IFR legally without a current database anyway so a subscription may be the thing to do. You would have to do that for any unit in any event.

Not so. You can fly and file /G with an old database. You may not shoot the approach with an expired database. Of course I'm still shooting it under PIC authority in the case of an emergency of course.

But yes, the cat is going to a checkride, so might as well.

Whether or not you can fly IFR with an expired database, or fly IFR approaches, depends heavily on what the language in the flight manual supplement for your type of GPS says. It even depends on the revision of that flight manual used in your installation. Some just require you to verify the data hasn't changed since the last update, others require you to have the current database regardless. Others don't say anything.

Back