DWI/3rd Class Medical/HIMS

I agree in general. I'm just saying that we shouldn't lose sight of the extent to which the way the FAA sees things is not always in accord with reality.
now THAT is just showing your anti-authority mindset which is dangerous to safe flight. You need to learn to simply shut up, obey and say yes massah any time you are questioned by the civil authorities at the FAA/DOT. Questioning their ideas just turns you in a menace - how do you think Bob Hoover ended up where he did? It had nothing to do with what he did - but that he refused to kiss the ring.

What I don't get is why that necessarily implies alcohol dependence... :dunno:
now THAT is just showing your anti-authority mindset which is dangerous to safe flight. You need to learn to simply shut up, obey and say yes massah any time you are questioned by the civil authorities at the FAA/DOT. Questioning their ideas just turns you in a menace - how do you think Bob Hoover ended up where he did? It had nothing to do with what he did - but that he refused to kiss the ring.
Now you're exhibiting the resignation mindset...

I went through the program. Abstinence, counseling, testing, AA meetings and spending a lot of money on it. After more than a year I got a special issuance 3rd class. The program continued. One day after 5 years in the program, I opened a letter from the FAA and out fell a un-restricted 3rd class medical. Signed by Dr. Tilton himself, FAA Examiner #0001. Was it worth it, YES!

Screenshot 2018-03-08 16.01.14.png
not one of the five deadly FAA sins . . .
How do you figure that?

I'm not allowing my beliefs to cloud anything. Just trying to "not incorrectly" regurgitate what my high school English teacher would whack a few points off my papers for doing. (I put the quotes in there for you guys.) I would have said "Abstaining is not the issue for me" and "I don't have an issue with the abstaining part of it." No interpretation required.

Based on the "context" of it, I understood what he MEANT, too, but as I said, I was being a grammar Nazi in that post. Carry on.
His writing wasn't the best, but your interpretation makes no sense.

His writing wasn't the best, but your interpretation makes no sense.

And, you are being a little dense here, go back and read what I wrote after my little attempt at humor flew right over your head and I cleared it up for you. Lighten up Francis.

Getting back to a real question -

Is the FAA position that if you register .217 then it automatically assumes tolerance? Or if you register .217 and you're barely conscious and laying in a puddle of vomit then it just means you drank way, way too much.

Not that I'm interested in either one...

And, you are being a little dense here, go back and read what I wrote after my little attempt at humor flew right over your head and I cleared it up for you. Lighten up Francis.
Calling someone dense is not an effective way to get someone to lighten up.

A ;) would have helped.

View attachment 60790
How do you figure that?
because they WANT you that way when you speak to them. You must be resigned to your fate and beg them for dispensation.

When my Viking went off left they were all over me - I told them I was going to wait for the video tape before I gave them my statement. No one got my statement until I saw the tape. The police officer told me he 'needed it' for his report. I told him that his needs were not mine - he can have my identity - chat later. Never heard from him again.

I was cajoled, threatened, threatened again by the local FSDO and finally said - "Look, I'll talk to you in 24 hours. I'm not refusing to speak to you."

We get the video tape and I"m coming stabilized and on speed and nose up - with the nose gear canted left and a strange 'piece' hanging off the right side of the nose gear. Its the steering rod, snapped off at the turnbuckle where its welded to the nose gear strut. With no steering rod attached on the right, you can't steer right - which explains why the gear is canted left and I cannot control the direction.

I have them get the video tape before I appeared for my interrogation - and the attitude was completely different. It started out with 'you incompetent lout, you' to 'we need to examine the strut and steering rod and send it off for study. We sat down and I asked them if they had any questions - they still wanted a 709 ride - but it was completely pro forma. Its not like I landed gear up.

because they WANT you that way when you speak to them. You must be resigned to your fate and beg them for dispensation.

When my Viking went off left they were all over me - I told them I was going to wait for the video tape before I gave them my statement. No one got my statement until I saw the tape. The police officer told me he 'needed it' for his report. I told him that his needs were not mine - he can have my identity - chat later. Never heard from him again.

I was cajoled, threatened, threatened again by the local FSDO and finally said - "Look, I'll talk to you in 24 hours. I'm not refusing to speak to you."

We get the video tape and I"m coming stabilized and on speed and nose up - with the nose gear canted left and a strange 'piece' hanging off the right side of the nose gear. Its the steering rod, snapped off at the turnbuckle where its welded to the nose gear strut. With no steering rod attached on the right, you can't steer right - which explains why the gear is canted left and I cannot control the direction.

I have them get the video tape before I appeared for my interrogation - and the attitude was completely different. It started out with 'you incompetent lout, you' to 'we need to examine the strut and steering rod and send it off for study. We sat down and I asked them if they had any questions - they still wanted a 709 ride - but it was completely pro forma. Its not like I landed gear up.
Oh, so you weren’t responding in a logical way someone could possibly understand and just ranting. Gotcha.

I’m sure you’re right, but your posts didn’t lead one to have any idea what you were on about.

Just FYI, my department's breathalyzers, even the handheld PBT types, all record history, which is downloadable. If a cop "made up" a breathalyzer number, it might just be the last case that he/she would "make up" a breathalyzer number.

I find these threads incredibly boring and repetitive but was reading it anyway and wondered ...

Why would it only “might” be the last case they’d make up? Should be their last day on the job. And they should be charged with the crime.

I find these threads incredibly boring and repetitive but was reading it anyway and wondered ...

Why would it only “might” be the last case they’d make up? Should be their last day on the job. And they should be charged with the crime.
It would only "might" be, if someone disputed the record...meaning, "if" they get caught, then absolutely they get fired.
If no one disputed the record, then no one would realize they made it up. Actually, they are frequently disputed, and frequently downloaded, but not always (hence the word "might"). BTW, no one, I have ever personally known or worked with, has "made it up"...to do so would be beyond stupid (not that this world doesn't have it's share of stupid people, cops included).

Last edited:
BTW, no one, I have ever personally known or worked with, has "made it up"...to do so would be beyond stupid (not that this world doesn't have it's share of stupid people, cops included).

I would think that you have plenty of customers as it is, no need to makeup numbers.

It would only "might" be, if someone disputed the record...meaning, "if" they get caught, then absolutely they get fired.
If no one disputed the record, then no one would realize they made it up. Actually, they are frequently disputed, and frequently downloaded, but not always (hence the word "might"). BTW, no one, I have ever personally known or worked with, has "made it up"...to do so would be beyond stupid (not that this world doesn't have it's share of stupid people, cops included).

I noticed you left off the charged and convicted part. Not saying it wouldn’t happen, but DAs have conflicts of interest there.

I noticed you left off the charged and convicted part. Not saying it wouldn’t happen, but DAs have conflicts of interest there.
DAs? I don't think they would have an issue with it. I have seen cops charged for various crimes, including falsifying reports. Why would a DA have a problem?

DAs? I don't think they would have an issue with it. I have seen cops charged for various crimes, including falsifying reports. Why would a DA have a problem?

Depends on their politics. I won’t get into it here beyond that.

Depends on their politics. I won’t get into it here beyond that.
I don't think you see it charged often, mainly because it doesn't happen often. Like I said, you'd be beyond stupid to do it...One can get a blood draw in 30 minutes / results in 7 days.

Most here don't understand alcohol dependence. Alcohol dependence can continue after many many years of abstinence. It's not about what's in your mouth, that's "abuse". Yes you have to be abstinent to be in recovery. It's about what's between your ears, not so much what's in your mouth! A person in recovery realizes he cannot drink. It'll win and he'll do something adverse. Like Joe (comanchepilot) sez, FAA really wants you abstinent after any alcohol event. You want to also, because the second event is the definition of abuse, and it doesn't have to be DUI- it can be wet reckless, domestic disputes, GF call into the hotline. I hate to sound like GWB: but just don't do that s_it. Continue even occasional drinking simply displays lack of insight.

The agency has 5 criteria and any one, EVER in your life gives the dx of dependence (and these also display lack of insight):

Tolerance
Any withdrawal syndrome
Lifestyle centered on the use of the substance
Repeat use in the face of know adverse outcomes.
Preoccupation with use.

And they're not interested in just the last 2 years per DSM 5. They want to know "ever in your life". FAA has no use for "Alcohol Use Disorder Mild-Mod-Severe". They want YES/NO.

For revenue grade certificates, Treatment is mandated = rehab --->instruction as to insight.
For third class certificates, the opinion of a HIMS Psychiatrist, adequate recovery activities (which show insight), concurred by a HIMS AME, after 24 months of proven abstinence, is sufficient.

Be sure you are going to pass before you start the paperwork. Once turned down you aren't eligible for Light Sport unless I missed a change in the 3rd class revision.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back