Flying Into Destin or Panama City FL?

Did they finally finish the tower in Destin ?

It's been operational now for a year or more. Definitely was needed. I worked at Eglin tower and they were always busting in the middle of our fighter patterns.

My company sited, designed, and built the tower.

I was there in the 80s, worked approach and tower. Some would takeoff without calling approach (actually CD) on the ground at Destin and climb right through tower's airspace, with numerous fighters in the pattern. Guess they wanted an up close look at the F15s.

Tower should be a tremendous help.

Last edited:
It hasn't been a year yet; maybe 5 months open now. It's great though and makes getting in and out a whole lot easier and safer. As a plus the controllers working there are friendly and helpful.

It hasn't been a year yet; maybe 5 months open now. It's great though and makes getting in and out a whole lot easier and safer. As a plus the controllers working there are friendly and helpful.
The tower idea came to life in 2006, but the actual construction of the facility didn't break ground until Sept 2016 and it opened, I think, last October or November

If they really want to spread the word, don't do it on a work day when nearby folks can't go . . . .

But as aircraft owners we are part of the idle wealthy, trust fund recipients. Everyday is a holiday.

That whole area, from Pensacola to Panama City used to be the "Wild West" when I was there back in the early 1970's.
There was so much air traffic it was nerve wracking.
If they put a tower in, it was WAAAAAY overdue.

That whole area, from Pensacola to Panama City used to be the "Wild West" when I was there back in the early 1970's.
There was so much air traffic it was nerve wracking.
I think that pretty much describes all of Florida now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Especially on holiday weekends. Nothing like arriving on Friday evening of labor day weekend and "Destin traffic, Mooney 642 is #6, I think, on the downwind for runway 32, Destin" :skeptical:

Especially on holiday weekends. Nothing like arriving on Friday evening of labor day weekend and "Destin traffic, Mooney 642 is #6, I think, on the downwind for runway 32, Destin" :skeptical:

For me it would have been a hindrance.

"helichopper 7512N crossing mid field landing direct to hangar" ;)

Good place for it o_O
I think I mentioned this on here before but maybe not...here's my "good place for it" story.

I was a controller at Eglin and was flight instructing at the Aero Club there. I used to take students to DTS regularly to work on uncontrolled/normal size GA runways regularly.

One day we were on left downwind to 14 with planes all over the place. The V-tail in front of us was about abeam the numbers and a Malibu announced he was going into position and hold as the proceeding aircraft was touching down. At that moment the V-tail chopped the power and rolled in hard saying he was making a short approach. The Malibu seeing that the preceding arrival was taking his sweet time exiting got (rightfully) concerned and told the V-tail that he was on the runway going to depart as soon as the runway was clear. The V-tail calmly told him don't depart, I'm going to land over you. The Malibu driver now mad told him absolutely not, he was departing. The V-tail said don't depart you'll hit us. The Malibu fortunately didn't depart and couldn't exit because the entrance was now blocked with the next departure waiting. The V-tail landed over top of him and exited with the Malibu still screaming at him. Then he departed and that was that. I did have a great view of the shenanigans.

Glad they have a tower there now.

Back