Flying to Udvar-Hazy museum Dulles

eshazen

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Eric
Hi- Thinking of flying in to IAD to visit the Udvar-Hazy museum in my Archer.
Can one normally taxi down there and park in front of the museum?
If so, what fees are applicable?

Hi- Thinking of flying in to IAD to visit the Udvar-Hazy museum in my Archer.
Can one normally taxi down there and park in front of the museum?
If so, what fees are applicable?

No, you need to go to one of the two FBOs. Expect to spend $$$. Probably between $100-200 for a piston single. It was over $200 for a Twin when I was at Signature last year.

You might be better off flying into HEF and renting a car. Be a whole lot cheaper! For less than the price of fuel/fees at IAD, you could easily get an Uber or rental car at HEF.

At one time they had a week end special to fly in,the hotel would provide you with a shuttle to the museum. You can always call the FBOs and see what they are doing lately. I have family in the area so I usually drive in.

I'd call in advance, but the FBOs should be able to shuttle you down there or let you take a crew car. There's also a Loudoun Transit bus from the main terminal to the museum and back.

Originally, they were going to allow you to taxi down to the museum. We met with the A&S Society people at Oshkosh about this (we were already based at IAD at the time). That sort of went the way side after 9/11. To get the gates open between the airport complex and the museum takes a lot of coordination between the Smithsonian, MWAA, TSA, and the FAA. My wife did manage to convince the museum to host at least one event a year (Originally BecomeAPilot day, later Innovations in Flight). It let 50 or so small GA planes in along with various military stuff and for the past few years a United big-assed jet.

Uber from HEF wouldn't be a bad idea.

Signature provided transportation for us "for free" when we went. This was after paying the $85 handling fee for a single engine. This was three years ago so it might have gone up.

OK, thanks for the advice. Sounds like HEF is the best bet. Probably not a bad base for going into DC either.

I went a couple months ago... after looking at going into HEF and either renting a car or getting an Uber, I just went into IAD. ATC was easy to work with, Signature gave us a ride to museum and back. Total cost was right at $90...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stayed at the Marriott on the airport property last September and there was no direct shuttle to the museum. They could give you a ride to the terminal and from there you can take a shuttle to the museum. I'm guessing the local hotel and FBO shuttle vans have an agreements with the museum so they don't pay any parking fees, but it you park your own car there it's 15.00.

There's not really a "shuttle" from the terminal to the museum, it's a Loudoun Transit bus that happens to hit both places.
The parking fee is a big money raiser for what is otherwise a "free" museum. It's also a condition of their lease with the airport that they not offer free parking (so as to entice people to park there when using the airlines).

There's nothing that prohibits a hotel from dropping you at the door. Some do. Don't know why the Airport Mariott is obstinate.
Uber or a Cab works.

JYO - Leesburg is another nice option. I go in there every couple months, super nice people and no parking fee when you buy fuel which is reasonably priced.

You can always get an UBER or Lyft, I just recently moved from the DC area and they are everywhere.

JYO - Leesburg is another nice option. I go in there every couple months, super nice people and no parking fee when you buy fuel which is reasonably priced.

Agree, Leesburg is a much shorter/easier drive to Dulles than Manassas.

Back