Renters Insurance

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
Hi Gang,

Sorry if this has been covered.... but I need some help with renters insurance....

The scoop is the place I have been renting from is starting to grow and they have changed how they are insuring us... in the past we were named on the policy for a yearly fee This covered me for just about everything including a very low deductible.

Now it is changing with them moving to a club format with deductible going up and some of the coverage dropping out.... in short I was advised to get renters insurance..

When it comes to homeowners and auto insurance I am pretty fluent, but with a duel coverage from the club's and an outside policy, in layman terms what should I be looking for in a "rental" policy and any advice on the products that are out there...???

Thanks

Avemco.
I've used them for years for all my aviation insurance. Never had a problem, never had a complaint, never had a quote from anyone that was lower when you compared apples to apples.

Thanks Shepherd... I will probably go with AVEMCO as I have worled with them in the past...

What I am trying to figure out is what coverage I will need... the "Club" is not being very clear on how I am covered...

@Ventucky Red -- You need to have "the club" provide their policy so you know what's what.

Generally, you can get a renters policy with enough hull to cover their deductible and cover your liability for ~$300/yr.

That's the way it was when I was straight out renting or in non-equity clubs (2 of them).

For an equity club you're a co-owner and the insurance for everyone is a shared cost.

I’ve used AOPA for almost five years now. Last I checked, they had the most affordable premiums by policy comparison. I renew in July and will more than likely continue my coverage with them.

You’d need to get the details to know what you need to cover, but in general a “non owners policy” (technical name for renters insurance) that covers the deductible of the primary insurance and liability insurance for you.

Interestingly the same insurance can also help in many equity clubs as “non owned” is often defined as “owning less than 20%” which is the case of the equity club has more than 5 members.

Be a bit careful though with rental outfits and such insurance. I’ve seen places that try to ding the insurance because someone came back with some extra wear on a tire. Make sure the place doesn’t turn your rental insurance as a place to dump their operating cost of running a flight school/rental outfit.

Unless it's a really good rate for the planes, I'd shop and find another school, IMO insurance is part of what you're paying for hourly.

I had avemco as well. Never needed to use them so no feedback on that end. But when it can time for owners insurance they were almost twice the price so out the door they went. In all fairness though, a few other companies were about that high as well but I figured if I was already a customer, yadda yadda...

Unless it's a really good rate for the planes, I'd shop and find another school, IMO insurance is part of what you're paying for hourly.

Yes, but from what I understand you may not covered for subrogation or loss of use of an aircraft...

Avemco.
I've used them for years for all my aviation insurance. Never had a problem, never had a complaint, never had a quote from anyone that was lower when you compared apples to apples.

Same here. Plus any type of training over the past year, when it's time to renew you get a discount

I use AOPA renter's insurance, but I can't say if they are any good since I've had no need for a claim. I hope I never find out if they are good or bad.

Back