Need strategic Aviation Weather? Consult the Spork

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
WeatherSpork that is.... www.weatherspork.com

The site went live today. I've been following the development and have been looking forward to a useful "single place" spot to get the weather info necessary to make strategic go or no go decisions, or alternate routing plans.

((note, WeatherSpork does require a subscription. But in addition to all the weather info you want/need, the subscription also includes access to lots of weather education modules created by AvWxWorkshops.com))

Works on iOS and web browsers. Android platform is coming soon.

upload_2018-3-1_16-29-11.png

upload_2018-3-1_16-34-25.png
upload_2018-3-1_16-35-33.png
upload_2018-3-1_16-37-24.png

How much moola for a subscription Mike?

WeatherSpork is a subscription-based application designed specifically for pilots by pilots. One plan is all that you will need. For $79/yr, you will have unlimited access to the most comprehensive aviation weather guidance available online. Whether you are sitting in front of your laptop or on your portable device, WeatherSpork will be available to meet your preflight planning needs. With your membership you’ll also enjoy seamless access to over 80 educational workshops developed and narrated by Scott Dennstaedt. Scott is a CFI and former NWS research meteorologist and will teach you the finer points of how to get the most out of your preflight weather briefings. So what are you waiting for?

Do any of the offered workshops include SkewT in detail? Looks like a good deal.

Do any of the offered workshops include SkewT in detail? Looks like a good deal.
Verifying if education on the Skew-T is part of the deal.... stand by

[Edit]

It appears that the Skew-T workshop is available. However, since I had already purchased the full 3-hour "premium" workshop last year, this may just reflect my purchase.

So all I can say is that it's available. Can't speak to " automatically included" with the WeatherSpork subscription.

Spork.PNG

Last edited:
how different is this from WX Briwf/ Aviationweather.gov etc? trying to decide if its worth it? do they offer any free trial?

From the announcement email

At AvWxWorkshops.com we're pleased to announce the release of our new companion aviation weather planning app, WeatherSpork. WeatherSpork offers an inexpensive, multi-faceted approach to uniquely blend online weather guidance along with aviation weather education, so you can Learn, Plan & Apply. And what's even more exciting...we're just beginning this new adventure. So strap in; over the coming months and years, WeatherSpork will continue to evolve to make your preflight planning simpler so you can minimize your exposure to adverse weather with more confidence while gaining the most utility from your aircraft.​

What’s in the app?

First, we think WeatherSpork will be a great companion to the application(s) you may currently use in the cockpit. The app includes all of the high resolution weather imagery you've come to know and love with the legacy Internet Weather Brief Roadmap. And, you'll enjoy our 4-D route profile and station meteogram visualizations. Even more unique is our "Wheels Up Departure Advisor." Like I said, this is just the beginning. We've got a roadmap full of new ground-breaking features we’re working to develop that will quickly surpass any other aviation weather guidance available online.​

Using the WeatherSpork app, you will also have seamless access to view all of the bite-sized workshops found in the extensive AvWxWorkshops.com library. Also, if you currently own any premium workshops purchased through AvWxWorkshops.com, you will retain access to view them as well.​

What devices does it work with?

For now, we are releasing the app in the U.S. App Store. However, we are working to make this available on Android devices as well. Stay tuned for that. Meanwhile, you can also use the app with your favorite Internet browser by visiting WeatherSpork.com (http://weatherspork.com) and choosing Login on the main menu. In fact, WeatherSpork is very responsive and is designed to work just as well on portable devices using just your favorite browser. Give it a try.​

What’s the login process for the app?

For those with an iPhone or iPad, go to your portable device and download the WeatherSpork app through the App Store (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/weatherspork/id1196062772?mt=8). To sign into WeatherSpork on the app or with your browser at WeatherSpork.com (http://weatherspork.com), use your current AvWxWorkshops.com credentials (email address and password). If you’ve forgotten your password, you can get a new temporary password on the login screen at AvWxWorkshops.com (check your spam folders for this automated email).​

Also check out this YouTube video on how to login to WeatherSpork:

Is AvWxWorkshops.com being retired?

For now, AvWxWorkshops.com will continue to exist alongside with the WeatherSpork app. Eventually AvWxWorkshops.com will only live to support the purchase of tuition for live workshops, webinars and one-on-one online training. WeatherSpork will eventually stand on its own to become the go to application for weather guidance and online workshops. Important: Although we will eventually be moving this functionality to WeatherSpork.com, new memberships, renewals and the purchase of premium workshops will continue to be done within AvWxWorkshops.com.​

What’s on the new feature horizon?

As mentioned above, we have a detailed roadmap of dozens of ground-breaking features and we’ll be adding new ways to visualize the weather better than ever before. However, in the short term we are working to add METARs and TAFs to the map as well as a revolutionary NEXRAD mosaic and simulated reflectivity forecast to create better situational awareness. We’ll also be expanding our navigation database making route and altitude planning more robust.

We are excited to move into this next phase of development and we hope you will join us. We will be happy to address any questions you may have. Please send your questions/comments/suggestions to support@weatherspork.com. Due to the overwhelming interest in this app, we appreciate your kind patience as we provide timely answers to your questions and requests. Don't forget to connect with us on our social media outlets for educational videos and more information about new features and updates to the app.

Last but certainly not least, we need your help; please let the pilot community know about this new app. The more pilots we can reach within the flying community, the more resources we can leverage to build features that will potentially save lives.

Best regards,

Scott Dennstaedt

Weather Systems Engineer
Co-founder, WeatherSpork​

Last edited:
Will it interface with DUATS or something similar to qualify as a legal weather briefing? I quite like what I'm seeing.

Tough segment though in terms of competition.

Will it interface with DUATS or something similar to qualify as a legal weather briefing? I quite like what I'm seeing.

Tough segment though in terms of competition.
At the moment, WeatherSpork doesn't replace a legal weather briefing, so you'll still need to get that from DUATS, Leidos Flight Service, or other source.

But the niche I am finding it useful for is reviewing the weather 72 to 24 hours before the flight to determine a go or no go decision, or if the original plan should be altered.

So the weather spork is as useful as a spork?

From this link http://www.foodiggity.com/a-brief-history-of-the-spork/

The Spork is a confusing utensil, that in theory has the scooping and liquid-holding properties of a spoon, combined with the food-stabbing features of a fork. However, with the spoon part too shallow to hold an acceptable amount of soup, and tines too short and stubby to properly penetrate anything firmer than a canned peach, the spork has become one of the longest standing jokes in culinary history.

On this thread I'm reading that I should pay $x/yr for access to information that is generally available for free but is not an accepted briefing?

[Note: This thread is not in the classifieds, where it perhaps belongs, so my comments are not out of bounds]

That's a bit too much. If you want a good idea of the weather, try usairnet.com. It's excellent and ad supported and thus free.

What I find is some of the weather forecasting tools we use take the same data and present it in different ways. Some people like looking at pure data while others (the management type) like looking at colorful graphs. I don’t see any need to pay money to have the same data presented in a different way, although it does look like a nice presentation.

That's a bit too much. If you want a good idea of the weather, try usairnet.com. It's excellent and ad supported and thus free.
I hate "ad supported", but I do think $79/yr is a bit much for a new, unproven weather app that does little more than repackage existing information and is not yet a legal briefing.

But then again, we spent right around $79 (including tip) for lunch yesterday and today all we have to show for it is an expanded waistline, so maybe that isn't too much considering the very nice reformatting and the work that went into it.

I hang a spork from a string. Best part is they are free at KFC.

Works similar to the old weather rock of days gone by.
  • If the spork is wet, it's raining.
  • If the spork is swinging, the wind is blowing.
  • If the spork casts a shadow, the sun is shining.
  • If the spork does not cast a shadow and is not wet, the sky is cloudy.
  • If the spork is difficult to see, it is foggy.
  • If the spork is white, it is snowing.
  • If the spork is coated with ice, there is a frost.
  • If the spork is thick, it's a heavy frost.
  • If the spork is bouncing, there is an earthquake.
  • If the spork is under water, there is a flood.
  • If the spork is warm, it is sunny.
  • If the spork is missing, there was a tornado.
  • If the spork is wet and swinging violently, there is a hurricane.
  • If the spork can be felt but not seen, it is night time.
  • If the spork has white splats on it, watch out for birds.

It's been in the app store since August last year as we were in a beta test mode. We didn't want to release it to the masses until the functionality was a little further along. That meant we had several significant changes since then so we decided to increase the version numbers accordingly. Once I felt comfortable making it available to my customer base, I sent out an email telling them they could download the app and start using it.
Unproven? Nah! Much of the weather guidance in the app has been available through my website AvWxWorkshops.com since 2008. I've had customers using this for over a decade and swear by it as their primary weather planning tool. We just released this as a companion app on March 1 and added some new features like a route profile view and meteograms just to name a few. Also included are my basic bite-sized workshops. You can view those in the app as well. So you get weather guidance and get weather education. Nothing out there like it.

It's not a product for everyone. But as a former NWS meteorologist and CFI, I'm going to be developing some groundbreaking features that will simplify your weather briefings. In the end, we're just beginning this process. What you see right now is just scraping the surface. It's all about how you organize and combine the data that makes it unique and useful. I know how to accomplish that.

@scottd, thanks for your comments and for setting me straight. In hindsight, I see that my comments were of the uninformed variety. My apologies and best of luck with your venture. I will probably be subscribing to it soon.

John

@scottd, thanks for your comments and for setting me straight. In hindsight, I see that my comments were of the uninformed variety. My apologies and best of luck with your venture. I will probably be subscribing to it soon.

John
If you ever have the opportunity, attending one of Scott's live events is a good thing. Lots of good information, and plenty of instruction on how to apply it.

Back