Which GPS for the iPad?

Hippike

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hippike
I am still in training and the check ride is coming up next month:eek:.

I've been using the sectionals/TACs but DPE accepts the use of electronics and since I am having difficulties figuring out my exact location relative to overlying class C airspace, I bought an iPad Pro (10.5) and planning to use it. (it's so neat showing my little airplane moving across the map and it's easy to identify where certain airspace boundaries are).

This iPad doesn't have cellular/internal GPS so I've been connecting it to my iPhone via BT. It seems that above certain altitude the iPhone drops the connection and the little airplane freezes on the map. I thought I would purchase an external GPS.

Two candidates:
- Bad Elf GPS (for Apple Lightning Connector)
vs.
- Dual Electronics iPad GPS with Bluetooth (dual XGPS150A)

Anyone has any experience with either of them? Would you recommend one over the other?
Thanks!

I'd go into foreflight and check it out with the sat imaging view and use that to get your bearings, foreflight is good, but there is a good chance he'll want to make sure it's not a crutch.

I've used earlier version of both products and liked them both. The only issue I had with the 40 pin bad elf was it would get knocked out of the connector sometimes.

I forget to turn the Dual off on occasion and then it's battery is dead when I need it.

I eventually replaced my iPad with an iPad mini with built in cellular so the GPS is built in.

I still have an XGPS 150A as a backup. I still use it from time to time when I don't feel like digging out my ADS-B unit. It has always been a rock solid performer.

And there are plenty of used ones floating around eBay, although the cost isn't very high brand new.

Given how often Apple changes designs, I wouldn’t get anything that attaches to the iPad. I have had my bluetooth Bad Elf Pro since 2012 and used it with four different iPads.

It holds a charge for a long time. I haven’t timed it but it lasts at least a month and four or five flight hours, probably more. It also charges with my USB port but I have never had to charge it—just tested it.

Would you also consider the Bad Elf connecting via Blue tooth? (Bad Elf Pro I use it with Fore Flight and it works quite well with an iPad with no internal GPS. I can also use the Bad Elf for other purposes unrelated to aviation. It has excellent battery life, I track flights to Europe or Asia (18+ hour flights) with no break.

Be advised that Apple has, twice to my knowledge, temporarily broken the iOS code which works with external GPS. IIRC, the problem broke all external based GPS. I wasn't affected because I waited to upgrade. Both Bad Elf and ForeFlight have been good about letting people know when it is OK to use the new iOS. I don't like the possibility of breaking off the GPS, so something blue-tooth based in my preference. One can also put the Bluetooth GPS where it gets a good signal if needed.

If you have a little more money to spend, you might consider the Merlin from Seattle Avionics. It is $249 and includes ADSB In and AHRS.

Early in my training I had needs similar to yours. I needed a good position source for the Ipad / foreflight. I didn't need weather or traffic. I bought a Bad Elf that connected via bluetooth. Rock solid waas gps. Never once failed me. Battery life was extremely good. Fits in your pocket.

You will be very hard pressed to beat a Bad Elf for your mission. I still have mine in the flight bag as a backup to the backup.

I don't like the possibility of breaking off the GPS, so something blue-tooth based in my preference.

Not sure what you mean by this. When Apple broke the GPS it did not affect iPads with an internal GPS but it did affect the communication between bluetooth (and I think WiFi) devices—like Bad Elf and DUAL—and EFBs like ForeFlight.

If you have a little more money to spend, you might consider the Merlin from Seattle Avionics. It is $249 and includes ADSB In and AHRS.
+1
Also, have you considered a Stratux. I have one and love it. You can build one for around $125 and it will also give you ADS-B In to go along with the GPS. The Merlin mentioned above is a good deal since it also includes AHRS if you can spare the extra money.

There are several threads around here about building a Stratux. Just do a search if interested.

I'd go into foreflight and check it out with the sat imaging view and use that to get your bearings, foreflight is good, but there is a good chance he'll want to make sure it's not a crutch.
This a good plan. Gaining knowledge of local landmarks that translate into the demarcation of airspace is very useful.

I was fortunate to have a primary instructor who did this. He was always pointing out the landmarks that defined the inner Class Bravo rings around KDFW.

That knowledge continues to be useful 8 years later.

Thanks for all the advice. Knowing myself and how clumsy I am, probably will buy the one that cannot be knocked out of the connector. Bad Elf Pro is sweet but wasn't looking to spend 200 bucks. Although eBay is a good idea, will look around for a good-condition used one.
:x

Gaining knowledge of local landmarks that translate into the demarcation of airspace is very useful.
It is! I had that with my previous CFI at my previous airport.
New CFI, new airport, sooooo close to check ride... CFI keeps pointing out the various buildings for airspace boundary but I need more ;)

have you considered a Stratux
- never heard of it but will check it out! Have a hubby who loves to build stuff out of stuff :D

+1
Also, have you considered a Stratux. I have one and love it. You can build one for around $125 and it will also give you ADS-B In to go along with the GPS. The Merlin mentioned above is a good deal since it also includes AHRS if you can spare the extra money.

There are several threads around here about building a Stratux. Just do a search if interested.

You can build the Stratux with an AHRS.

- never heard of it but will check it out! Have a hubby who loves to build stuff out of stuff :D
A Stratux is pretty easy to assemble. You can buy the parts on Amazon.com. It only takes about 30 minutes to snap the parts together. It is basically a Raspberry Pi mini-computer motherboard that you plug the GPS puck and ADS-B antennas into. Then insert the memory card in with the Stratux software and mount it in plastic case. See attached picture.

Attachments

• IMG_2783.JPG
    IMG_2783.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 9
Not sure what you mean by this. When Apple broke the GPS it did not affect iPads with an internal GPS but it did affect the communication between bluetooth (and I think WiFi) devices—like Bad Elf and DUAL—and EFBs like ForeFlight.
There are 2 types of Bad Elf GPS. One uses BlueTooth, and the other attaches into the port on the GPS (image below), and so my opinion is that it could broken off. I see the confusion the way I wrote my comments.

289a3cf7f0fac0789c9c8e47fa136554.500

+1

I like the Stratux too. I built one, but I didn't bother with the GPS since I had the Bad Elf. I like the ADSB weather, but I haven't found the ADSB traffic useful since I look out the plan more than inside at the iPad. Here's a link with a parts list: http://stratux.me/

I like the Stratux too. I built one, but I didn't bother with the GPS since I had the Bad Elf. I like the ADSB weather, but I haven't found the ADSB traffic useful since I look out the plan more than inside at the iPad. Here's a link with a parts list: http://stratux.me/
I did add the GPS even though I had the XGPS. I've heard conflicting opinions on its significance, but didn't want the potential extra iPad battery drain from having both WiFi and Bluetooth operating on a longer flight. On both phone and tablet, my Bluetooth is off unless I am actively using it.

I use the bad elf pro. i have two of them. they are also useful for things other than flying . it has data logging so i use it for mapping my bike rides, hikes and jet ski rides. took it with me on a day at universal and was amazed to find that we walked almost 10 miles that day.

bob

I did add the GPS even though I had the XGPS. I've heard conflicting opinions on its significance, but didn't want the potential extra iPad battery drain from having both WiFi and Bluetooth operating on a longer flight. On both phone and tablet, my Bluetooth is off unless I am actively using it.
I get a fair bit of time flying commercial, with wifi and bluetooth on, but I haven't measured it. I use the wifi to see movies (sometimes), and bluetooth for the Bad Elf to see where I'm at, and what I'm looking at on the ground. Last week, I went KLNK->KORD->KSAN with a couple of hours at KORD and just about used my charge. On the return trip, I could see the probable flight plan via ForeFlight and chose a seat to see the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley, and see when I was coming up to them. Pix below.

JAK_5731 by Jack Silver, on Flickr

JAK_5740 by Jack Silver, on Flickr

Back