MS Flight sim & Games

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
I fired up a spare computer and I was going to load it up with games for grandkids. First off I couldn't find my MS Flight sim discs. Looking on the web it looks like it is a crap shoot finding a flight sim that will work on a Win 7 computer reliably. X Plane was even worse. Any suggestions ?

Next where can I buy some decent games on discs? The computer won't be hooked to the web. I like stuff that 8-12 + would find interesting and wholesome. ( Not interested in blood and brains)

Ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Paul
Salome, AZ

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_X_Steam_Edition/

MINIMUM: OS:
Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or later.

I know you're asking for discs/hard copies but you can download these and then use steam in offline mode and not have to worry about discs and internet capability. Also absolutely tons of games on Steam.

As for wholesome/educational/fun, almost nothing beats Kerbal Space Program. Learned everything I know about orbital mechanics from it and it is a fantastic game for kids and adults alike.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/220200/Kerbal_Space_Program/

I fired up a spare computer and I was going to load it up with games for grandkids. First off I couldn't find my MS Flight sim discs. Looking on the web it looks like it is a crap shoot finding a flight sim that will work on a Win 7 computer reliably. X Plane was even worse. Any suggestions ?
Paul
Salome, AZ
Hi Paul.
Try Ebay, and if you do get one get the Gold version. They seem to be selling for more money now than when they first came out. I do not like and use any of steam trash, if your system goes down it's a pain trying to get it going again, and you have to be on the net any time you use some of them.
I agree, XP11 is still way behind the MSFSX. I am trying to see if I can get anything close to what I have in the MSFSX to look and perform well in the XP11. The scenery is terrible in my area, the flight models need a lot of mods to get them close to being right... and it looks like there is not much support from the company.

Hi Paul.
I agree, XP11 is still way behind the MSFSX. I am trying to see if I can get anything close to what I have in the MSFSX to look and perform well in the XP11. The scenery is terrible in my area, the flight models need a lot of mods to get them close to being right... and it looks like there is not much support from the company.

I am shocked to hear that. XP11 is amazing in my opinion, and I have since abandoned FSX. It took a little getting used to, but it is an amazing sim, and Laminar is very active in supporting the software. Where can you get support for FSX?

I am shocked to hear that. XP11 is amazing in my opinion, and I have since abandoned FSX. It took a little getting used to, but it is an amazing sim, and Laminar is very active in supporting the software. Where can you get support for FSX?
Hi midwest and everyone.
There is a lot of support on many active sites, like flightsim, avsim.... just type in FSX in any search engine.
I have XP11 and trying to get it to come close to what I have in FSX, or even XP10, and I cannot. I don't understand why they decided to make most of the things from previous versions incompatible with the XP11. The scenery in my area, SoCal is primitive at best, there are no VFR reference points and may airports have water around them where there is forest or trees.
The flight model, specifically the C172, is in some way better than XP10 but in others it's worse, try to do a 360 / 30Deg bank, and stay coordinated, there is a huge over banking tendency, not found in the real 172, and other many more issues. Try to do a L-8 or any other comm maneuver and see how it behaves. Add to that that you cannot set the eye point inside the cockpit to see the cowl and both wing tips... and you have no real tool to use, for VFR training / flight. Add to that the ground handling in XWind and it gets close to being useless, as a VFR tool.
In addition they decided to change the way the flight controls calibrate / adjust, they fixed it in the XP10, and messed it up again in XP11, like the Null / Dead zone, and that causes issues when trying to use certain features, like the Twist, to Quick view Left /Right...
I could go on all day describing all the issues but that is not my goal. I try to support all the sims, including XP11 because I understand the benefits that can be had from the sims, but they will have to try and get serious about it as a tool, not as an eyecandy game.
See a couple of pics with the KAJO area from FSX, Real, and XP11 below.

AJO-FSX-OK.jpg AJO-RealViewTs.jpg AJO-XP11NGTs.jpg

I think MS dropped FS, but it's way behind X-Plane now anyway; as an IFR trainer, MS is way out of date. . .

I'm getting closer. I found the empty box for FS 2004. Now for the discs. :)

I have the discs for FS2004 and FSX. Let me know if you can’t find yours.

0099c106502426104e97f22574c36ea3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi.
If you get started again, the FSX would be a better choice. The Gold has some extra acft, but the Deluxe should be fine.
If you do not have any controllers / joystick, I have some Logitech Extreme 3D, the same kind I presently use, if you want. I also use the CH Pro rudder pedals, which you do not really need, but the joystick is a must have, to enjoy it.

Last edited:
Man I played those missions so many times. Africa saving some animals, the Alaska ones (I can still hear the dialogue), and the creepy one where you had to find a idol while flying and landing I want to say a Grumman? I think. Love those.

Man I played those missions so many times. Africa saving some animals, the Alaska ones (I can still hear the dialogue), and the creepy one where you had to find a idol while flying and landing I want to say a Grumman? I think. Love those.
haha me too. Another favorite was landing the Lear 45 at Telluride with the female co-pilot. My current sims of choice are X-Plane 11, Aerofly FS2, and DCS World (combat sim) especially in VR.

Look what I still have (no disk, just manuals and charts). Fun stuff, kept me interested and glued to my Commodore-64/Amiga 500 and IBM compatible for years before having an opportunity to take my first flight lesson. Thanks to Bruce Artwick/SubLogic and the guys of MSFS :)

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 3
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 3
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 3
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 3
Hi midwest and everyone.
There is a lot of support on many active sites, like flightsim, avsim.... just type in FSX in any search engine.
I have XP11 and trying to get it to come close to what I have in FSX, or even XP10, and I cannot. I don't understand why they decided to make most of the things from previous versions incompatible with the XP11. The scenery in my area, SoCal is primitive at best, there are no VFR reference points and may airports have water around them where there is forest or trees.
The flight model, specifically the C172, is in some way better than XP10 but in others it's worse, try to do a 360 / 30Deg bank, and stay coordinated, there is a huge over banking tendency, not found in the real 172, and other many more issues. Try to do a L-8 or any other comm maneuver and see how it behaves. Add to that that you cannot set the eye point inside the cockpit to see the cowl and both wing tips... and you have no real tool to use, for VFR training / flight. Add to that the ground handling in XWind and it gets close to being useless, as a VFR tool.
In addition they decided to change the way the flight controls calibrate / adjust, they fixed it in the XP10, and messed it up again in XP11, like the Null / Dead zone, and that causes issues when trying to use certain features, like the Twist, to Quick view Left /Right...
I could go on all day describing all the issues but that is not my goal. I try to support all the sims, including XP11 because I understand the benefits that can be had from the sims, but they will have to try and get serious about it as a tool, not as an eyecandy game.
See a couple of pics with the KAJO area from FSX, Real, and XP11 below.

View attachment 60700 View attachment 60701 View attachment 60702
I've had a love-hate relationship with X-Plane since getting my first version many years ago,lol.
I think that was the version that came with a printed manual and a Martian landscape for those of us curious enough about what flight on Mars would be like:D.

Back