Seems like a pretty good deal for a V35B

It's a V35-TC with that engine.

Nice presentation though.

Yeah, forgot to mention that. It's got a fair number of years SMOH, that would be my biggest worry. Don't know how well the Contis do, I know Lycs don't like to sit.

Needs ADS-B but otherwise seems like a sweet machine for the money.

Both of those airplanes have a lot of hours SOH. The Cherokee 140 has a 160hp upgrade, but 18 years SOH and only about 190 hours. The last annual was 2010(?) and the last log book entry was a ferry flight in 2015. Then again, it was only somewhere between 15k and 22k to take it home. If you assume the engine is done, 15k is a reasonable price. Good oil fragment analysis and be ready to replace it, it might make it long enough to be worth it. Or it might not.

Prop:
  • Time Since Major Overhaul: 29
  • Date of Overhaul: 08/27/2010
Only 29 hours in 7.5 years? :eek:

Prop:
  • Time Since Major Overhaul: 29
  • Date of Overhaul: 08/27/2010
Only 29 hours in 7.5 years? :eek:

Yeah, that was my concern too. That said, I trust the folks over at Wings of Hope. They seem to do things the right way.

Like I said above, it did do a ferry flight in 2015. My concern is the engine, I have to believe the oil is full of particles.

Like I said above, it did do a ferry flight in 2015. My concern is the engine, I have to believe the oil is full of particles.
I would sure hope the oil is full of particles - else - well - you wouldn’t have oil.

I would sure hope the oil is full of particles - else - well - you wouldn’t have oil.

Jesse, my Son, you took that right away from me. You apparently think just like I do, for which I give you my sincere pity. :)

Technically speaking oil is not particles...it is composed primarily of relatively long, linear hydrocarbon chains.
Oh wait, you probably aren't interested in the technical description or even a small trip into organic chemistry...NVM. :D

Ok, ok. That the oil is full of pieces-of-the-engine particles. :p:p:D

I just tore mine down....and it was a +12yr engine....not needed IMHO.
I have to ask; why did you tear it down?

I was just pointing out Continental's position that TBO is not just hours, but calendar years too. And this engine has almost twice as many years as Continental spells out.

I was just pointing out Continental's position that TBO is not just hours, but calendar years too. And this engine has almost twice as many years as Continental spells out.
burnt exhaust valve was the culpret.....and one thing lead to another....got to a point where I didn't feel I could properly torque the 1/2" thru studs in the aircraft (the wrenches wouldn't work without modification) and decided to take the engine out and it turned into and OCD project. :D
FWIW....this engine was last overhauled in 1997....you'd never know that from the looks of the internals.

Attachments

• IMG_1539.JPG
    IMG_1539.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1540.JPG
    IMG_1540.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1543.JPG
    IMG_1543.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2392.JPG
    IMG_2392.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2549.JPG
    IMG_2549.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 4E8D04D5-3466-4153-8ED4-1962C3B89C6A.jpg
    4E8D04D5-3466-4153-8ED4-1962C3B89C6A.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 20
  • E9416FB4-B38C-4FAA-A348-630EA6775BDB.jpg
    E9416FB4-B38C-4FAA-A348-630EA6775BDB.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2439.JPG
    IMG_2439.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
RayJay Turbo.....it's nice, but old panel and I don't like that AP. It's a 65-70K plane.

You made me look again, and I'm more confused now than I was before. Does an IO-520 + Rayjay STC = TSIO-520D? I thought it just became a "520 with rayjays"

You made me look again, and I'm more confused now than I was before. Does an IO-520 + Rayjay STC = TSIO-520D? I thought it just became a "520 with rayjays"
well....I'm confused also. Cause the AD says RayJay Turbo....but it lists the TSIO-520D....and they are not the same. So, I don't know. Mine is a TSIO-520D.
Item: Installed Rajay Industries Inc. Turbocharger #RJ0080-102
Date Modified: 03/01/1977
Notes: STC SE57WE, AC43-13-2

Do you know any non-commercial owners that would put 100 hrs per year on a zero time 1800 hr TBO engine and tear it down at 1200 hours? Just because Continental sez so?

Some people I know would say the best way to get an extended life out of a turbo-charged Continental's cylinders is don't fly it. ;)

Last edited:
BTW.....this is what 20 years since major overhaul looks like inside.....
img_2439-jpg.60643

Do you know any non-commercial owners that would put 100 hrs per year on a zero time 1800 hr TBO engine and tear it down at 1200 hours? Just because Continental sez so?
Not a single one. Including me.

You do realize that I was merely quoting Continental; not endorsing them, don't you?

But if I were buying a plane with a 12 yr old engine, I would certainly use that as a bargaining point.

Technically speaking oil is not particles...it is composed primarily of relatively long, linear hydrocarbon chains.
Oh wait, you probably aren't interested in the technical description or even a small trip into organic chemistry...NVM. :D
Not a chemist, have stayed at a holiday inn express, and have read a few dictionaries. By at least any common dictionary definition, oil is definitely full of nothing but particles. Close enough.

Not a chemist, have stayed at a holiday inn express, and have read a few dictionaries. By at least any common dictionary definition, oil is definitely full of nothing but particles. Close enough.
Interesting. I’ve been around oil my entire life and never consider it to be full of nothing but particles. Perhaps you could describe these particles? Merriam-Webster only gives:
Definition of oil
1a : any of numerous unctuous combustible substances that are liquid or can be liquefied easily on warming, are soluble in ether but not in water, and leave a greasy stain on paper or cloth
b (1) : petroleum
(2) : the petroleum industry
2: a substance (such as a cosmetic preparation) of oily consistency
  • bath oil
3a : an oil color used by an artist b : a painting done in oil colors
4: unctuous or flattering speech

If it the engine is making power and not burning or leaking oil, keep on flying it. IA's don't seem to have a problem signing off past TBO engines.

Interesting. I’ve been around oil my entire life and never consider it to be full of nothing but particles. Perhaps you could describe these particles? Merriam-Webster only gives:
Definition of oil
1a : any of numerous unctuous combustible substances that are liquid or can be liquefied easily on warming, are soluble in ether but not in water, and leave a greasy stain on paper or cloth
b (1) : petroleum
(2) : the petroleum industry
2: a substance (such as a cosmetic preparation) of oily consistency
  • bath oil
3a : an oil color used by an artist b : a painting done in oil colors
4: unctuous or flattering speech
Using the common definition of particle, assuming the oil contains matter, it contains particles. Can you show me oil without matter?

Usually you’re better at these silly word games Clark. Is your age showing?

Using the common definition of particle, assuming the oil contains matter, it contains particles. Can you show me oil without matter?

Ahh, you are being common. In this particular case we have the opportunity and the responsibility to be a bit more precise. You see, oil is not and cannot be made of just any particle. We go to great lengths to extract particular particular particles or in some cases manufacture even more precisely sizes particles. Those particular particles are called hydrocarbons, mostly saturated, linear hydrocarbon chains. And now we are back to the point where I have already described that which you protested and demanded we misuse the common and inaccurate term particle.

So the answer is no, my age is not showing. What is showing is that I do not accept lower standards and ready displays of ignorance when knowledge is commonly available. If this were not the propper course the human race would still be living in caves and grunting at each other. Instead we have the much higher standard of living in above ground, man-made caves of wood and stone while listening to electronic devices grunt at us. Or perhaps you’d like to say that the homes are made of particles while furthering the idiocracy?

resolved to a mere particle.....o_O

Ahh, you are being common. In this particular case we have the opportunity and the responsibility to be a bit more precise. You see, oil is not and cannot be made of just any particle. We go to great lengths to extract particular particular particles or in some cases manufacture even more precisely sizes particles. Those particular particles are called hydrocarbons, mostly saturated, linear hydrocarbon chains. And now we are back to the point where I have already described that which you protested and demanded we misuse the common and inaccurate term particle.

So the answer is no, my age is not showing. What is showing is that I do not accept lower standards and ready displays of ignorance when knowledge is commonly available. If this were not the propper course the human race would still be living in caves and grunting at each other. Instead we have the much higher standard of living in above ground, man-made caves of wood and stone while listening to electronic devices grunt at us. Or perhaps you’d like to say that the homes are made of particles while furthering the idiocracy?

These days the man-made caves seem to be made less of wood and stone and more of particle board...

These days the man-made caves seem to be made less of wood and stone and more of particle board...
Oriented strand board commonly called OSB...

Oriented strand board commonly called OSB...

Thanks for the clarification.
All this time I'd been thinking OSB must stand for pressed Oatmeal & Sawdust Board. ;)

Thanks for the clarification.
All this time I'd been thinking OSB must stand for pressed Oatmeal & Sawdust Board. ;)
That would be POSB. SMDH. Kids today.

For the record, I was talking about the warrior - 20(?) years SOH, 189 hours flown, last annual in 2010, although it did ferry in 2015. Everything I know says the oil must be full of engine particles.

lmfao

Back