Folks in the mid-Atlantic Might Want to Check Their Tiedowns

FormerHangie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FormerHangie
This upcoming winter storm looks like a beast:

DCT_SPECIAL24_1280x720.jpg

Looks like a lot of areas could see sustained winds over 30 mph, with gusts to 60. If you don't have a hangar, you might want to make sure your tiedowns are secure.

In the plains states, we call sustained 30mph winds w/60mph gusts “Tuesday”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was going to say that those winds just mean the pre-solo students aren't flying today...

We should ban cyclones and high velocity winds.

Jonesey flew into Dulles and gave a PIREP, it seems:

IAD UUA /OV KIAD/TM 1238/FL040/TP CRJ2/TB MOD-SEV/RM VERY BUMPY ON DESCENT. PRETTY MUCH EVERY ONE ON THE PLANE THREW UP. PILOTS WERE ON THE VERGE OF THROWING UP. AWC-WEB

Jonesey flew into Dulles and gave a PIREP, it seems:

IAD UUA /OV KIAD/TM 1238/FL040/TP CRJ2/TB MOD-SEV/RM VERY BUMPY ON DESCENT. PRETTY MUCH EVERY ONE ON THE PLANE THREW UP. PILOTS WERE ON THE VERGE OF THROWING UP. AWC-WEB
BVG SVC DSRPTED 1 PSGR SUSPECTED WY RSDNT OVHD SCRMING YEEHAW

In the plains states, we call sustained 30mph winds w/60mph gusts “Tuesday”
I still remember the day in North Dakota when the wind quit for a minute. Everyone fell down.

Is there an echo in here? ;)

M'lady said they almost did not get off the gate this morning, plane was shaking so much the Nav computers struggled to get an alignment.

Spent the morning putting out brush fires and cutting up trees that are in the roads. Taking a break right now and I'll go back for some more fun in the evening.

And apparently I bought an aluminum shed, because somehow one got delivered fully assembled this morning.

Spent the morning putting out brush fires and cutting up trees that are in the roads. Taking a break right now and I'll go back for some more fun in the evening.

And apparently I bought an aluminum shed, because somehow one got delivered fully assembled this morning.

Well tie that shed down before it gets redelivered to someone else.

The Federal government decided it was too windy to come to “work” today. Commute was easy though.

The Federal government decided it was too windy to come to “work” today. Commute was easy though.

Drove my wife to work in DC this morning. Loved the commute. The government should shut down more often.

Reported wind gusts on the RT50 bridge 82mph (news lady was full of BS) I looked up the numbers, it topped at 62. Located at the south end of ocean city, just north of the OXB airport.

12360232-46A5-4E38-BA0A-A297C4F82A02.png

Last edited:
Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! :rollercoaster:

Current conditions on Long Island ...KISP 022356Z 34027G38KT

Reported wind gusts on the RT50 bridge 82mph. Located at the south end of ocean city, just north of the OXB airport.

Stay safe Gary. Got about 6” heavy wet snow, winds are howling. No power since at least 3PM. Running the generator and the fireplace.

Whatcha u taking about? It’s pretty calm here at KFAR 7kts from 070 an hour or so back. something feels wrong on the approach if it’s not gusting to 21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stay safe Gary. Got about 6” heavy wet snow, winds are howling. No power since at least 3PM. Running the generator and the fireplace.

Gary,

At least no snow accumulation here, as of 8:20pmand we are good on power.

Hope your power is restored ASAP. You all stay safe. Hope we can catch up soon.

Gary,

At least no snow accumulation here, as of 8:20pmand we are good on power.

Hope your power is restored ASAP. You all stay safe. Hope we can catch up soon.

Will do. Not much else to do but sit in front of the fire, drink Manhattan’s and surf the net. Lots of power outages.

At 2W6, in Eastern MD, gusting to 50 currently.

I flew in/out of Harrisburg, PA(KMDT) today. WS of 25kts all the way down final. Fun times were had by all. :rollercoaster:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N425XP/history/20180302/1400Z/KSPW/KMDT

MDT 022056Z 33030G41KT 10SM OVC044 04/M04 A2980 RMK AO2 PK WND 32045/2009 SLP095 T00441039 53032

KMDT 021956Z 34029G52KT 10SM OVC046 04/M04 A2977 RMK AO2 PK WND 33052/1949 SLP083 T00441044

KMDT 021856Z 32036G43KT 10SM BKN043 OVC050 04/M04 A2974 RMK AO2 PK WND 33045/1820 SLP072 T00441039

KMDT 021756Z 33026G43KT 10SM OVC042 04/M04 A2971 RMK AO2 PK WND 32047/1731 SLP063 60000 T00441039 10044 20011 53014

Wednesday night we had gusts of 60kts down Lynn Cannel. Boat ride home from work was rough, 10ft+ seas. Took us an extra 35 minutes to get home. Only a few folks lost their lunch..:(

Hope the power stays on and the trees stay standing for all those affected.

My view of the storm from the SOC today can be summed up in two words. "Operational Meltdown".

Finally sunny skies and the wind does this crap.

15G29 at CLT right now.
It got up to 35 here in Norfolk. And direct x-wind at that. Even if the airport hadn’t lost power and I could actually open the hangar door, I wouldn’t have been able to takeoff.

It got up to 35 here in Norfolk. And direct x-wind at that. Even if the airport hadn’t lost power and I could actually open the hangar door, I wouldn’t have been able to takeoff.

Hey but aren't you like... fearless?

Just kidding.

I'm a big believer in the discretion being the better part of valor philosophy. I always try to practice at least a bit of risk mitigation and that includes not exceeding the max demonstrated crosswind component for an aircraft. This is especially true on my home drone which while not excessively narrow at 40' doesn't allow for as much margin of error as a wider runway. Plus the winds there can do tricky things from time to time. I view myself as a decent stick but not an extraordinary great one so I try to make the proper decisions.

The effects of that system were/are far reaching:

38801790310_c0407a333d_z.jpg

That’s from just now. Yesterday I fought about 40kt headwinds flying north to our TN property, for a 50kt groundspeed. Paralleling I-75 I was getting passed by virtually everyone!

Coming back south was nice, though!

Hey but aren't you like... fearless?

Just kidding.

I'm a big believer in the discretion being the better part of valor philosophy. I always try to practice at least a bit of risk mitigation and that includes not exceeding the max demonstrated crosswind component for an aircraft. This is especially true on my home drone which while not excessively narrow at 40' doesn't allow for as much margin of error as a wider runway. Plus the winds there can do tricky things from time to time. I view myself as a decent stick but not an extraordinary great one so I try to make the proper decisions.
The ‘Fearless’ came from the ship callsign, not my personality.

I know exactly what you mean. I flew a Cherokee out of Lake Norman a year ago for a ferry/delivery job. It was tight.

The ‘Fearless’ came from the ship callsign, not my personality.

I know exactly what you mean. I flew a Cherokee out of Lake Norman a year ago for a ferry/delivery job. It was tight.

I was curious about the name. Many names on here are rather cryptic.

Well, I finally flew today. Only logged 1.3 hours but I did 4 landings so I'm current. I hadn't flown since mid December, first due to surgery and then bad weather on the days I wanted to fly. Felt good to get up and knock of a little rust.

Back