Decent action camera for cockpit use?

DaleB

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DaleB
I'm looking to add a video camera for recording flights. Mostly I'm interested in inside the cockpit use, with audio from the intercom (important point there). I want image stabilization similar to the new Virb Elite and GoPro Hero5 and newer -- I like the way they will lock the image to the horizon, not the airplane. That's the other must-have. Jittery, shaky video is what kept me from wanting to record anything for a long time.

I see the Hero5 Session is down to $200 now. I also see there are great steaming piles of Chinese made clones, some of which claim image stabilization. So, my question for those who have actually tested or tried any of these: Are there any that are substantially cheaper than the GoPro, AND work as well, AND will accept an external audio input?

If you just want cockpit video, I’d go DJI Osmo with the gimbal extension

What do you intend to do with the footage?

That will make a big difference in terms of recommendations.

Also, how many cameras do you intend to run?

I am thinking about the same, how does Garmin 360 degree view camera work? From some videos I have seen you can swing it around to see instruments and outside. Mission- post flight debrief

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AVOID THE CHINESE KNOCKOFFS.
I have 3 of them and they suck.

I just got the gopro session5. It is great.
Battery life could be better but the stabilization is great.

I fly a lot of strippers.

No, seriously. Just for personal use. Don't really know. I do fly a lot of Young Eagles,so maybe posting video that they can download afterward would be nice. And just one. I’m not going to load up the plane with half a dozen like I’ve seen in a few of the online videos. I’m not looking to be a YouTube star.

Been happy with my GoPro hero 4 black, I put a ragecam lens on it to remove the fish eye though

GoPro's are the camera of choice for many professionals. Spend the money...they're worth it!

Could you elaborate on that? Not familiar with GoPros and the details.

The GoPro hero black is nice with the wifi app triggering for exterior use, it's a GoPro is very well known for skydivers, soldiers, skaters, surfers, snow sports, divers, drivers, most any action camera, plenty of mounts, personally I found the handlebar mount works well for me and clamps to my tail stinger and windshield vbrace.

The only issue is since many people use the go pros for close up stuff, they have a fisheye lens, ragecam makes a new lens you can install in about 10-15min that makes it into a non fisheye, great for looking further away like with planes or drones.

http://ragecams.com/shop/54mm-rectilinear-flat-lens-gopro-hero4-hero3focus-ring-p-631.html

Good place to get GoPros for less $$
https://shop.gopro.com/refurbished

Last edited:
I use the Garmin VIRB XE. It’s a stable platform with easy audio recording capability and a prop filter. I ended up buying multiple batteries to swap out as needed to extend my recording time.

I'm considering a 4k Sony sport cam. It has a tripod plate, 3mm audio input jack and is wifi operated. Trent Palmer uses several in his Kitfox. Check out his YouTube videos.

I'm looking to add a video camera for recording flights. Mostly I'm interested in inside the cockpit use, with audio from the intercom (important point there). I want image stabilization similar to the new Virb Elite and GoPro Hero5 and newer -- I like the way they will lock the image to the horizon, not the airplane. That's the other must-have. Jittery, shaky video is what kept me from wanting to record anything for a long time.

I see the Hero5 Session is down to $200 now. I also see there are great steaming piles of Chinese made clones, some of which claim image stabilization. So, my question for those who have actually tested or tried any of these: Are there any that are substantially cheaper than the GoPro, AND work as well, AND will accept an external audio input?
If I was going to go with one for aviation, I'd pick the Hero5 Black. Then if you want additional's, I would go with the Hero5 Session. My reasons are the view screen on the black, the extra battery life and the fact that you can change out the batteries.

If I was going to go with one for aviation, I'd pick the Hero5 Black. Then if you want additional's, I would go with the Hero5 Session. My reasons are the view screen on the black, the extra battery life and the fact that you can change out the batteries.

@Radar Contact How do you hook yours up for sound? I'm thinking about doing some myself. How do you get all the audio, and also have the engine in the background and not too loud?

@Radar Contact How do you hook yours up for sound? I'm thinking about doing some myself. How do you get all the audio, and also have the engine in the background and not too loud?
I bought a GoPro aircraft audio kit from spruce. It plugs into any jack in your aircraft. I just use an empty back seat one. If you don't have any empty, you can use an active one as they have a piggy back adapter for your headset. Then you plug the other end into the camera and forget about it. Sounds great and easy to use. The engine is only possible if you have multiple cameras. In my case the camera on the windshield is recording the engine and in the edit process I line them up and set the volumes. Still working on it all but it's starting to come together. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to just go with the Hero5 Session with a filter and the external mic adapter. I have a 3.5mm jack connected to the intercom in the plane for sound recording. Not sure yet how I'll mount it, but with it being that small it can't be too much of a problem. There are a ton of other choices, but I'm just not in the mood to expend a lot of time and energy trying to sort out which ones suck and which (if any) don't for this application.

I bought a GoPro aircraft audio kit from spruce. It plugs into any jack in your aircraft. I just use an empty back seat one. If you don't have any empty, you can use an active one as they have a piggy back adapter for your headset. Then you plug the other end into the camera and forget about it. Sounds great and easy to use. The engine is only possible if you have multiple cameras. In my case the camera on the windshield is recording the engine and in the edit process I line them up and set the volumes. Still working on it all but it's starting to come together. Hope that helps.

Thanks. I know the camera has an external mic, so by plugging in the audio kit, it sounds like it disables the external mic and you don't get the engine from the external mic?

Last edited:
Thanks. I know the camera has an external mic, so by plugging in the audio kit, it sounds like it disables the external mic and you don't get the engine from the external mic?
That's correct. It's one or the other.

Hi Brian and everyone.
When you connect External adapter / mic it disables the Internal mic, external is the one you add. Just so there is no ambiguity in terms, not real important as log as you know that only one works at the time.
The GP 5 and 6 black uses an adapter that will not work in the GP4 Black, and it's bulkier and more difficult to handle, but the 5 has stability and backscreen that may make it worth getting it. There are issues with the 5, that 4 did not have, like it tends to turn off much quicker if it's placed in a location where the Sun gets to it, 4 was a bit better the best was 3+Black.
Now to the External sound, if you have a Headset with ANR you will get the best sound if you get a small high sensitivity mic and put it inside your headset, if you can, point it towards the speaker. I tried many locations and the best solution was in the headset.
About the banana effect, ND filters, will only slow down the acquisition, by limiting the light input, not desirable, if you want something as good as you can get, put it somewhere where the prop is not in the pic, or live with the banana.
The GP5 Black will only stabilize at certain speeds and the Linearity will loose some of the picture size, not important most of the time. For me the 1080 / 120 is desirable because it does away with most of the terrain swimming, during the times you are close to ground. You will likely want to try many settings before you decide.

Back