Southwest engine fire in SLC - 02/26/18

It's a big deal. Anytime a 2 engine jet airliner loses an engine it's a big deal. It will be interesting to see the cause.

They didn't taxi out fast enough so the engine overheated...

Different time and situation, but here's higher quality video of what this type of thing looks like:

its NOT an engine fire - its compressor stalls . . . and we trust the media on other issues? I have no idea why.
Linky to that conclusion? Just would like to read about it, even if that is true, the compressors shouldn't be stalling. A main shaft losing its centerline could look like that too.

Malfunctioning bleed valve
Bad EEC (Electronic Engine Controller)
Just about every kerosene torpedo garage heater I've ever had does the same thing. Most of the time a bleed air adjustment takes care of it. Sometimes it's from water contaminated fuel, or a failing pump. Same principle as a jet engine. Nothing to be concerned about. ;)

Typical compressor stall. Footage from inside the aircraft.

Linky to that conclusion? Just would like to read about it, even if that is true, the compressors shouldn't be stalling. A main shaft losing its centerline could look like that too.
a main shaft losing a centerline or a bearing isn't 'on fire' either - other than the obvious that its technically on fire the entire time its running.

FADEC has done a lot to eliminate compressor stalls now - but - if you ingest something - like a small bird - it looks ALOT like that.

@Velocity173 's video - thats a CLASSIC sound coming from a compressor stall.

a main shaft losing a centerline or a bearing isn't 'on fire' either - other than the obvious that its technically on fire the entire time its running.

FADEC has done a lot to eliminate compressor stalls now - but - if you ingest something - like a small bird - it looks ALOT like that.

@Velocity173 's video - thats a CLASSIC sound coming from a compressor stall.

Main shaft losing its centerline breaks things that allow that 'technically on fire' fire to exit the rear of the engine. Like I said, I'd like to read the report on this one.

Main shaft losing its centerline breaks things that allow that 'technically on fire' fire to exit the rear of the engine. Like I said, I'd like to read the report on this one.
you don't have to believe us - but it was compressor stalls -

The popping and fire belching is typical compressor stall behavior. Had dozens in helos in the desert on start up. Loud, almost like semiautomatic weapons fire. A bit embarrassing when people walk by also.

"remember to fly the airplane"

I was on a 727 climbing out of SWF a long time ago, and all of a sudden it sounded like King Kong was beating on the tail section with a large hammer. Capt came on and said it was #2 compressor stalls, and he had shut down the engine. He said the plane flies just fine on two engines and we'd continue our flight to Chicago, and so we did. It didn't seem to be a big deal.

you don't have to believe us - but it was compressor stalls -

It's not that I don't believe you, all I asked for was a link to where you read that was the cause, instead of telling me that a main shaft losing center line will not cause fire blowing out the back of the engine, which isn't correct, you could have said your guess is that it was compressor stalls.

If anyone has or gets an actual report on this, please post it, I'd like to read it.

instead of telling me that a main shaft losing center line will not cause fire blowing out the back of the engine, which isn't correct

Losing centerline tolerances would cause one helluva vibration. Same as losing a a blade or two. You're gonna feel it. Compressor stalls are nothing more than burps.

Losing centerline tolerances would cause one helluva vibration. Same as losing a a blade or two. You're gonna feel it. Compressor stalls are nothing more than burps.

Yup, it's a serious issue, tough to judge from the ground though, hence why I asked for a link.

Back