Ground School

Jasper

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Japer
I was thinking of proceeding in the following manner:

1.* pass the FAA knowledge test locally (testing center is a 5 minute drive from me) using the manuals the flight school uses;
2. attend accelerated flight school over a 2-4 week period to complete the check ride with the J230 while staying with family (hopefully the CFI there gets going soon);
3. buy a plane and hangar it at the local airport; then
4. hire any local licensed pilot where my plane is located to fly with me until I am comfortable in the plane on my own.

*Can I self-study for this at home then register for the SPA test with "CATS" and then take the test? Reason I ask is the CFR mentions "school" in the verbiage.

Thanks!

No, in step 2 I completed my check ride where I get the "ticket" to fly at a flight school? Wouldn't that ticket permit me to jump in any LSA and head for the stars (10k ft)? I was thinking that I would want someone (experienced pilot) with experience to come along with me while I adjust to my plane which would be different than the plane I trained on, which looks like it will be the J230. Thanks for correcting me if I am wrong here.

Pretty ambitious considering the 2-4 week accelerated check ride portion, but I guess it is possible.

You will have to have a instructor sign you off to take the written or take a course like King where they give you a certificate that allows you to sit for the written.

I bought a plane with a partner and took my instruction from a local cfi to get my license.

You can’t “hire” just any local pilot, rules and regulations you will learn in ground school.

Why not learn in the plane you buy with a local cfi?

Thanks for the clarification...CFR did mention "ground school" although I was not clear if that meant self-study or online course as you mentioned Ralph

No, in step 2 I completed my check ride where I get the "ticket" to fly at a flight school? Wouldn't that ticket permit me to jump in any LSA and head for the stars (10k ft)? I was thinking that I would want someone (experienced pilot) with experience to come along with me while I adjust to my plane which would be different than the plane I trained on, which looks like it will be the J230. Thanks for correcting me if I am wrong here.

Ahh. I see. Well the problem you’ll run into is “any licensed pilot” can’t be compensated at all for flying with you. A Commercial pilot can, with various significant restrictions. So no paying anyone except a CFI usually.

Anyone can fly with you for no compensation, however. Friends riding along may or may not know your particular airplane. If it’s an odd LSA you bought, it’s far more likely you’re the local expert on it. Not them.

And people do like to fly along, but paying them to do so crosses a number of FAA lines. So you can’t do that.

Having them help you “get comfortable” is iffy. That’s really an instructors job if you’re saying you’re not truly ready to be Pilot in Command.

Once you have your certificate, that’s what you are.

Since you’d be switching aircraft types, most insurance companies will require a few hours of instruction minimum in your new-to-you aircraft anyway. Perhaps as high as 10 hours in type.

You won’t know until you pick an aircraft and get insurance quotes.

Once that’s done, you really should be able to operate the airplane (perhaps with personal limitations that YOU would maintain or change as your experience and confidence grow) as PIC.

Essentially what I’m saying here is that from the FAA legal perspective, you’re the PIC after that accelerated school in your plan. Your airplane, your decisions.

If you can find a friend to fly along, great. But your instructor at the school nor the FAA examiner will be looking for anything less than you being fully rated to fly to whatever certificate level you’re applying for.

Changing types is a secondary thing, and like I said, usually the insurance company mandates some type training from a CFI. But the FAA says you’re able to fly “whatever” on day one of your certificate, as long as it meets whatever the certificate says on it.

Example: FAA says I can fly a WHOLE BUNCH of twins. Insurance company would say, “No way in hell until you hire an instructor and get a checkout in that thing.”

Bringing along a twin rated friend who has time in type wouldn’t help me a bit. Trying to pay them to ride along would be an even bigger legal problem.

Hiring a CFI to check me out in it, fine. Assuming they have time in type. The insurance company may limit THEM also.

Make sense? :)

If you buy something after you have your rating, and that’s an uncommon aircraft, it’s pretty common to have to fly somewhere commercially to get an instructor to check you out, or bring the instructor to you for those first few hours. All depends on what the insurer wants.

1. Self study for the knowledge test. Plenty of cheap and free online and DVD/computer based training courses.
2. Go do your accelerated training, take the knowledge test while you're there.
3. Buy a plane.
4. Hire a CFI to give you a few hours of transition training in your new plane.
5. Don't break anything.

#3 has a few prerequisites... like, find someone to help you sort out the wheat from the chaff and do a really thorough prebuy inspection.

Makes perfect sense. Something I had no idea to consider. Thank you!

I did get some DVDs and will buy the materials used by the school I plan to attend in the very near future.

Last edited:
1. Self study for the knowledge test. Plenty of cheap and free online and DVD/computer based training courses.
2. Go do your accelerated training, take the knowledge test while you're there.
3. Buy a plane.
4. Hire a CFI to give you a few hours of transition training in your new plane.
5. Don't break anything.

#3 has a few prerequisites... like, find someone to help you sort out the wheat from the chaff and do a really thorough prebuy inspection.

Rule number 5 goes at the top. My first CFI said so. Now I do. :)

If the purchase is as imminent as your post implies you've got it all wrong.

Should be:
1. Buy a plane.
2. Hire a CFI and learn at your own pace.
3. Self study for the knowledge test.

Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth, think Tyson said that.

I'd just start off at the school and go from there, I wouldn't really get too ahead of yourself before starting school, personally I'd get the king videos and go along with the videos as you're progressing through flight training, get your ticket and than your plane.

2-4 weeks to learn how to be a proficient pilot, that's not something I'd recommend and I'd stay away from any "school" that advertises as such.

It takes as long as it takes, however the biggest factor is picking a good CFI who has access to decent flight line of aircraft, and more over YOUR natural ability, finances, and availability. Just make sure the CFI can block you for two sessions a day with a lunch break and carry that for a week at a time or something.

For the testing center I'd recommend laser grade, they have a better interface and a really nice on screen E6B, where as cats basically has the built in Windows calculator.

For hiring a pilot, you'd be better off finding a CFI to go through the motions with you and get whatever min hours the insurance company wants, shouldn't be too bad, ain't like you're buying a F104.

Back