Recommended Tampa airport for mid-term ops?

AU_James

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
James
Suppose I'm going to temporarily "move" to the Tampa area and want to find a place to keep/store/tie-down my Archer for several months. Any recommendations or suggestions? The plane would also need an annual during this stretch, but it seems like options there are somewhat plentiful. Just looking for an airport that's not too much hassle nor too expensive to operate out of for a while (5-6 months) that I wouldn't end up calling my permanent home. I think I'd be living in the south or west side of the city for the most part and I have no clue what commute times are like to other areas of the city.

I've done a search on the forum regarding Tampa area airports but haven't found an answer to the question from this specific point of view. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

X39 would be my suggestion. Small non-towered field, lighter volume of traffic and an easy in and out.

CLW is west of tampa and easy access to all freeways, mechanics on site

Hmm, thanks for the inputs. I think I'm going to start with CLW, at least initially and as I get more familiar with the other airports and the area I'll go from there. Either way, I'm very excited to have the chance to operate out of a new area for a little while!

west of tampa CLW, north X05, east ZPH. good mechanics available at all of them, "cheap" tie-down at the last 2

Use McDill. It's in Tampa too. :popcorn:
Are you familiar? Will they let me tie down a civilian aircraft? Guess I can call base ops...

Thanks for the other suggestions made here. Time to do some calling around for ramp space availability!

Are you familiar? Will they let me tie down a civilian aircraft? Guess I can call base ops...

Thanks for the other suggestions made here. Time to do some calling around for ramp space availability!

Squawk emergency! lol

Nah don't think you want to be landing unannounced at that base. :D

You can’t even transit there airspace,let alone land at the base.

Why not? The MacDill guys land at O Knight by accident.

Well go on and do it then. O Knight a pubic airport, besides military can land wherever they ****ing want to anyway.

You can’t even transit there airspace,let alone land at the base.
Some bases will allow you to land with prior coord. Most of these bases share the runway with civilian aircraft already, but there are some mil-only bases that will still allow military personnel to keep their private aircraft on base (I believe Maxwell is still an example of that). Transiting the airspace is just like any other Class D. Unannounced, though, yeah you better have an emergency!

For an annual, Double M at KLAL. Mike, Audrey and the crew are great people.
Thanks so much for the tip! I'll have an annual due halfway through this time period.

Some bases will allow you to land with prior coord. Most of these bases share the runway with civilian aircraft already, but there are some mil-only bases that will still allow military personnel to keep their private aircraft on base (I believe Maxwell is still an example of that). Transiting the airspace is just like any other Class D.

I know Air Force bases require a PPR (Prior Permission Required) reservation, which from what I have understand includes a minimum amount of insurance, probably liability. And forms. Just depends on the base and what is going on. Often during a safety seminar (usually briefings on airspace around a base) civilian planes can land but they still require certain items.

Mac Dills airspace is like sacred when flying in the Tampa area. It’s really not like any other class D. If your going to fly in the Tampa area,you might want to talk to the locals or a flight instructor from the area.

Started out a Peter O Knight- just arrived this past weekend. Departure end of runway 22 is a mile from MacDill Class D so I'm sure it'll be quick left turn to avoid ALL the airspace.

Getting in was very pleasantly smooth! Tampa approach cleared me through Bravo without me even asking yet and had me go as direct as possible to the airport. As with any other Bravo/busy airspace, I feel like as long as you're responsive and do what you're supposed to they welcome GA traffic. While coming in I did hear the "possible deviation, prepare to copy a phone number" said to another pilot on my frequency, but I'm pretty certain he took off and went straight through MacDill and even busted through the bottom of the Bravo before ever getting any clearance. :eek:

Hmm, thanks for the inputs. I think I'm going to start with CLW, at least initially and as I get more familiar with the other airports and the area I'll go from there. Either way, I'm very excited to have the chance to operate out of a new area for a little while!
You need IAPs?

You need IAPs?

Unfortunately not. I'll be VFR only while here and I've looked at the STAR/SIDs and local airport procedures on Foreflight just for my own awareness of where traffic is "supposed" to be.

I did my instrument ground school and was going to start training when the military told me I'll be displaced for 6 months. Not complaining about spending time in Florida, but it did throw a delay in those plans!

Back