Trump Pushing Personal Pilot To Head FAA? Axios via

Why drain the swamp if you're just going to fill it with garbage?
Fresh garbage doesn't stink as bad.
I do believe that it is time we got out of that "Same old Bureaucrat" mode.

The best FAA administrator is the Administrator that has the ability to let the people in the FAA who know what needs to be done, do their jobs, free from the whims of Congress.
Yep, they did a great job stonewalling BasicMed.

I just wonder if someone who had near identical credentials but was not Trump’s pilot would get a better review on here. I’m not much of a fan of Trump but I do agree with his wanting to put someone with aviation industry experience in charge of the FAA.

I just wonder if someone who had near identical credentials but was not Trump’s pilot would get a better review on here. I’m not much of a fan of Trump but I do agree with his wanting to put someone with aviation industry experience in charge of the FAA.
If it was Obama's personal pilot people would be singing a different tune.

That's always the case when it comes to our new king. If this were Obama's pilot, first he'd be criticized for even having a pilot.

Ain't America Beautiful? we can disagree, and it don't mean Squat.
Not really, (when,if) he was as qualified. That would be better than the same old attitude as we have had.

This is something that could have a big effect on us. It's too bad we can't discuss it without causing the thread to get locked. Oh well...

Flying Super Fragile Ego Extra Braggadocious' personal airplane does not qualify one to run a multibillion dollar agency!

Nah, we save that for drunks who can’t even hold an FAA Medical and guys who make speeches in Wichita telling Unions their jobs are safe and protected a week before their boss attacks all the bizjet makers and users.

No worries really... the lifers at FAA who can’t be fired will know how to manage anything any political appointee tries to do or says.

Anyone appointed could walk in the door at OKC and demand they fix their various problems and they’d all nod and smile and laugh after they left. They can’t be fired. Or so they believe.

None of these agencies listens to their appointed bosses.

Thank god too, considering the morons that have been picked from Colorado over the years. Peña and Salazar?! Hahaha tweedle dee and tweedle dumber?

Nothing changes. No real accountability to anyone but paid off Congresscritters and that ruins that concept of “accountability” completely.

If this guy actually said he’d walk in and fire people on the spot who ignored any executive mandates, you might have found the first Administrator in my lifetime that would change something.

But he hasn’t. And he won’t. So don’t worry about it. The previous two were useless and the next twenty will be also after this guy.

They can't be fired, but their positions can be eliminated, bye bye just the same.

They can't be fired, but their positions can be eliminated, bye bye just the same.

Well if anybody has the cojones to do that, I’ll be amazed. I doubt this guy does. So it’ll be business as usual.

Well if anybody has the cojones to do that, I’ll be amazed. I doubt this guy does. So it’ll be business as usual.
Trump does have a modus operandi of reducing staff.

Let’s hope that if they privatize ATC, they use one part of the Canadian model. GA under a certain size and weight plays a flat fee of like $75 a year. No toll booths in the sky!

Let’s hope that if they privatize ATC, they use one part of the Canadian model. GA under a certain size and weight plays a flat fee of like $75 a year. No toll booths in the sky!

By Trump's yardstick ("no US commercial airline crashes"), the existing administration has done a good job. Huerta's experience in managing large and complex transportation systems goes back 30 years. That makes him qualified in my book. Huerta had far and away more experience to run the FAA than Elaine Chao does to be Secretary of Transportation, Betsy DeVos to run Education, or Ben Carson does for HUD.

Just because someone makes Subway sandwiches for 30 years, and is an expert sandwich maker, doesn't mean they're qualified to run Subway's nationwide operations. Making sandwiches, or even managing a Subway store, doesn't make one qualified to judge global supply chain issues or interact with shareholders.

Some people with 30 years on the job have 1 year’s experience 30 times over.

Of course it would. You can tell from the comments that many posters are responding only to the headline.

To bad Ivanka doesn't have a pilot's license. Trump could nominate her.

An even more outrageous idea: brother Donald Jr.

An airman search shows he has a private pilot certificate and an address at Trump Tower.

Not sure what to make about the dates:
certificate - Date of Issue: 9/21/2012.
Medical Class: Third Medical Date: 7/2002

An even more outrageous idea: brother Donald Jr.

An airman search shows he has a private pilot certificate and an address at Trump Tower
Ivanka and Donald Jr. are smart kids, too smart to take the pay cut and take this job. :)

Has the current career bureaucrat with no aviation experience in that position worked out really well the past five years? Maybe it has to some but I see a lot of complaints about the FAA on here.

This guy does have a decent resume outside the cockpit.

President's drawing from qualified non-family members they've worked with in the past to fill positions is not nepotism. It's completely normal.

But if he thinks ATC should be handed over to the airlines, then sure, he should be opposed. I think it's fair to wait and judge this guy on his merits if he's put through hearings.
In this case just because he's a pilot and managed a corporate flight dept doesn't mean he's qualified to administer an organization of tens of thousands of employees, some in unions, contracts in the billions$$$$, hundreds if not thousands of subcontractors, the media and Congress. Who did I leave out.

Not sure what to make about the dates:
certificate - Date of Issue: 9/21/2012.
Medical Class: Third Medical Date: 7/2002

It means he ordered a new plastic card in 2012 but hasn't flown since 2007.

Yup Pilots would be all excited that an active pilot had been proposed to head the agency. It's a Rorschach test and Graves is the ink blot.

In this case just because he's a pilot and managed a corporate flight dept doesn't mean he's qualified to administer an organization of tens of thousands of employees, some in unions, contracts in the billions$$$$, hundreds if not thousands of subcontractors, the media and Congress. Who did I leave out.

Why not? Plenty of great managers have went from smaller operations to larger ones. I'd rather judge the guy on his merits when they come out in hearings rather than assumptions.

I just don't buy that the only people qualified to run bureaucracies are other career bureaucrats with the specific experience you cite. It's not like our agencies have some sterling record of efficiency that proves that true.

He is not managing 10s of thousands of employees. His span of control includes 4 associate administrators, and one person titled 'COO of air traffic operations'. Plenty of congress critters have gone directly from a seat on the floor to 'running' a federal agency, what made them qualified ? If you only pull leadership from within the agencies, you end up with a autonomic buerocratic state.

If it's something like that I don't really have a big problem with it beyond the annoyance of having to have yet another thing I need to keep track of to remain in compliance of all the rules.

The real problem IMO with this whole idea of ATC privatization is we don't actually know how they will handle GA, we're all just speculating. It might be something like Canada’s system, it might actually end up making things better, or it might be absolutely horrible. There just isn’t any way to know and it doesn’t look like we’ll get to see any proposal before the decision is made to privatize or not.

Back