Garmin G5 RS232 inputs

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
I have been reading about the G5 and it states that it can receive NAV data from some of their newer model GPS navigators.. (using the GAD adapter)

I also have read that it accepts NMEA/Aviation RS232 input for nav and GPS data. I have read where some people have connected a Garmin 496 to them for nav data.

Has anyone tried to use an older GPS such as the Garmin GNS250 or 300XL connected directly via RS232 with the G5?

I would imagine it is not covered under the STC but maybe experimental applications?

OTE="Indiana_Pilot, post: 2452222, member: 17364"]I have been reading about the G5 and it states that it can receive NAV data from some of their newer model GPS navigators.. (using the GAD adapter)

I also have read that it accepts NMEA/Aviation RS232 input for nav and GPS data. I have read where some people have connected a Garmin 496 to them for nav data.

Has anyone tried to use an older GPS such as the Garmin GNS250 or 300XL connected directly via RS232 with the G5?

I would imagine it is not covered under the STC but maybe experimental applications?[/QUOTE]

There is one lone RS232 input on the G5 itself. I don't think any version of the GAD29 has any RS232 interfaces.

The G5 RS232 can be used to display navigation data from a SL30/Aera 660 and I think that's about it. Everything else that will display navigation data is wired to the GAD29 through ARINC 429 interfaces.

In the STC, that lone RS232 port is used for attitude data aiding, meaning it doesn't display any navigation information, but uses GPS data to compute an attitude solution for the attitude indicator. The attitude indicator REQUIRES a GPS signal for this purpose, either from an approved GPS receiver such as the GNS/GTN/GTX via the RS232 or a dedicated antenna connected directly to the G5.

In the STC if the G5 is installed as an HSI, that lone RS232 port can be connected to the SL30 nav/com.

I have not seen anything at all that supports any of the legacy GNC150/250/300 series GPSs.

Well that sucks.. I was thinking that the Area 660 would output the same NMEA data over RS232 as a GNC 300XL or a Garmin 496 would.. I was reading on another forum that a 496 would work over RS232 so I assumed the older 300XL would too..

Maybe this works only on the Experimental version?

Well that sucks.. I was thinking that the Area 660 would output the same NMEA data over RS232 as a GNC 300XL or a Garmin 496 would.. I was reading on another forum that a 496 would work over RS232 so I assumed the older 300XL would too..

Maybe this works only on the Experimental version?

The question you're asking is does the 496 etc interface just do the attitude aiding or is it displaying nav data. I don't really know.

Another option on the experimental is the G5 can use its own internal GPS antenna for the attitude computation, at least that's what I understand.

The question you're asking is does the 496 etc interface just do the attitude aiding or is it displaying nav data. I don't really know.

Another option on the experimental is the G5 can use its own internal GPS antenna for the attitude computation. At least that's what I understand.

The way they stated it is that it would actually show lateral guidance on the G5 using data from the 496.. I get the entire attitude aiding from GPS that it needs but thought it would be nice to have the guidance until I can drop the $$ on the 750 that I really want!

Read the experimental G5 installation manual. It will give you a better idea of what the G5 can really display over RS232 (understanding that's "outside" the STC). It can display NMEA. If the 300XL truly outputs NMEA over RS232, you should be able to display it. You can download and load the "experimental" G5 software from Garmin's website, but there's a stern warning telling you not to put the experimental software on the certified unit because, you know, it's against the rules.

Read the experimental G5 installation manual. It will give you a better idea of what the G5 can really display over RS232 (understanding that's "outside" the STC). It can display NMEA. If the 300XL truly outputs NMEA over RS232, you should be able to display it. You can download and load the "experimental" G5 software from Garmin's website, but there's a stern warning telling you not to put the experimental software on the certified unit because, you know, it's against the rules.

It looks like the certified G5 will also display NAV info from any NMEA source via RS232.. (I guess not part of the STC though)
48c06d28bfd3af1320fbc733258f936c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the STC, that lone RS232 port is used for attitude data aiding, meaning it doesn't display any navigation information, but uses GPS data to compute an attitude solution for the attitude indicator. The attitude indicator REQUIRES a GPS signal for this purpose, either from an approved GPS receiver such as the GNS/GTN/GTX via the RS232 or a dedicated antenna connected directly to the G5.
@bnt83, if there is a GPS outage, do you lose attitude altogether?

@bnt83, if there is a GPS outage, do you lose attitude altogether?

I doubt it... when I was playing with the G5 out of the plane and without GPS signal is still displayed attitude fine... I’m honesty not sure how GPS can aid the attitude...

I doubt it... when I was playing with the G5 out of the plane and without GPS signal is still displayed attitude fine... I’m honesty not sure how GPS can aid the attitude...

I don't either. Clearly they are magicians.

upload_2018-2-1_12-40-15.png

Just for clarification, will a Garmin Aera 660 feed a g5 GPS info, which then feeds a GFC500 AP? Will this work in the certified version g5 as well as the experimental ?

Just for clarification, will a Garmin Aera 660 feed a g5 GPS info, which then feeds a GFC500 AP? Will this work in the certified version g5 as well as the experimental ?

No way would you allow a portable to supply a certified instrument with data.
Or if G5 is installed as situation awareness only (portable mount?) or maybe a permanent mount outside the primary field of view.

Last edited:
Why not? It's VFR only, 660 is my primary navigation, why not let it drive AP too?

Back