Trump Pushing Personal Pilot To Head FAA? Axios via

Cogito

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cogito
AVweb reports:

Trump Pushing Personal Pilot To Head FAA?

News site Axios is reporting that President Donald Trump is promoting his long-time personal pilot as the next administrator of the FAA. Quoting unnamed administration sources, Axios, a relatively new news service made up mainly of ex-newspaper staff, said John Dunkin, who flew Trump’s personal Boeing 757 during the 21-month campaign, has been interviewed and impressed those doing the selection. He’s said to be up against GA caucus chairman Rep. Sam Graves (R-Missouri) and current Acting Administrator Dan Elwell. Trump has referenced Dunkin’s opinions on aviation matters in the campaign and after the election, particularly in regard to the function of the National Airspace System. He’s also being promoted by administration officials who cite his management experience.

Among the issues the next administrator will likely tackle is the possibility of turning over the air traffic control system to a not-for-profit corporation run by a board of directors appointed from various sectors of the industry. Trump is a proponent of the idea so it follows that his appointee for the FAA job would share that view. Trump has quoted his pilot as being dissatisfied with the current system. Graves, the chairman of the House General Aviation Caucus, outraged many GA groups last year when he threw his support behind a bill that would hive off ATC to a private entity. Some critics speculated at the time that Graves was then being considered as the next chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. Elwell is a former employee of Airlines 4 America, which represents airline interests in Washington and is a driving force behind the ATC initiative.

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Trump-Pushing-Personal-Pilot-To-Head-FAA-230360-1.html

I've heard the guy talking about how great it would be turning ATC over to the Airlines. Of course. He flies a 757 and can't be delayed by other airspace users!

More Trump nepotism and Bravo sierra.

Does the FAA Administrator have to pass muster from Congress? If so, I can't see even the GOP stomaching this one. If not, get ready for a bumpy ride.

Does the FAA Administrator have to pass muster from Congress? If so, I can't see even the GOP stomaching this one. If not, get ready for a bumpy ride.
They've stomached everything else he's done just fine...

And yes, it's a Senate-confirmed position.

Has the current career bureaucrat with no aviation experience in that position worked out really well the past five years? Maybe it has to some but I see a lot of complaints about the FAA on here.

This guy does have a decent resume outside the cockpit.

I've heard the guy talking about how great it would be turning ATC over to the Airlines. Of course. He flies a 757 and can't be delayed by other airspace users!

More Trump nepotism and Bravo sierra.

President's drawing from qualified non-family members they've worked with in the past to fill positions is not nepotism. It's completely normal.

But if he thinks ATC should be handed over to the airlines, then sure, he should be opposed. I think it's fair to wait and judge this guy on his merits if he's put through hearings.

Last edited:
Keep it aviation related. A political debate will not be tolerated.

Has the current career bureaucrat with no aviation experience in that position worked out really well the past five years? Maybe it has to some but I see a lot of complaints about the FAA on here.

This guy does have a decent resume outside the cockpit.

President's drawing from qualified non-family members they've worked with in the past to fill positions is not nepotism. It's completely normal.

But if he thinks ATC should be handed over to the airlines, then sure, he should be opposed. I think it's fair to wait and judge this guy on his merits if he's put through hearings.

The alternative is Rep. Graves who is also a commercially-rated pilot...

The alternative is Rep. Graves who is also a commercially-rated pilot...

I was talking about the last guy.

Graves publicly pushed FAA privatization as well. There's a 3rd person in the running too. Can't remember his name.

Last edited:

By Trump's yardstick ("no US commercial airline crashes"), the existing administration has done a good job. Huerta's experience in managing large and complex transportation systems goes back 30 years. That makes him qualified in my book. Huerta had far and away more experience to run the FAA than Elaine Chao does to be Secretary of Transportation, Betsy DeVos to run Education, or Ben Carson does for HUD.

Just because someone makes Subway sandwiches for 30 years, and is an expert sandwich maker, doesn't mean they're qualified to run Subway's nationwide operations. Making sandwiches, or even managing a Subway store, doesn't make one qualified to judge global supply chain issues or interact with shareholders.

By Trump's yardstick ("no US commercial airline crashes"), the existing administration has done a good job. Huerta's experience in managing large and complex transportation systems goes back 30 years. That makes him qualified in my book. Huerta had far and away more experience to run the FAA than Elaine Chao does to be Secretary of Transportation, Betsy DeVos to run Education, or Ben Carson does for HUD.

Just because someone makes Subway sandwiches for 30 years, and is an expert sandwich maker, doesn't mean they're qualified to run Subway's nationwide operations. Making sandwiches, or even managing a Subway store, doesn't make one qualified to judge global supply chain issues or interact with shareholders.

I didn't say he wasn't qualified but being a long timer at the DOT doesn't mean you are automatically the best option to manage the FAA either though. Huerta has had his share of failures, feet dragging, and frustrations as administrator. Graves is the head of the GA caucus and a Congressional member. Durkin has extensive management experience in the field of aviation aside from being a pilot.

Whether they are good for the job is yet to be seen, but I'm not going to dismiss their resumes out of hand just because they aren't career bureaucrats. That's not my only or even main concern concern.

Last edited:
I have seen a couple of interviews with John Dunkin. The news headlines saying that he is the "personal pilot" are misleading. While he does fly the 757, his main role is the director of a diverse flight department, with many different types of aircraft and pilots. Anyone who has worked in business aviation knows that is a tough management job to excel at.

Re: The FAA.. no doubt aviation safety has come a long way, but the organization still functions like a clunky, slow bureaucracy, at least in my limited interactions. IACRA is a pain in the ass and with all the technology we have - I still have to carry an ORIGINAL paper medical around with me everywhere I go (so much talk of them eliminating this, never any action)...

Last edited:
He can't possibly do any worse than most of the other FAA appointees over the last 5 decades.
Don't get me wrong, there have been a few bright spots, but mostly it's been "bureaucracy as usual".

I have seen a couple of interviews with John Dunkin. The news headlines saying that he is the "personal pilot" are misleading. While he does fly the 757, his main role is the director of a diverse flight department, with many different types of aircraft and pilots. Anyone who has worked in business aviation knows that is a tough management job to excel at.

Re: The FAA.. no doubt aviation safety has come a long way, but the organization still functions like a clunky, slow bureaucracy, at least in my limited interactions. ICARA is a pain in the ass and with all the technology we have - I still have to carry an ORIGINAL paper medical around with me everywhere I go (so much talk of them eliminating this, never any action)...
I saw a documentary on Trump's 757 a while back and they interviewed John Dunkin at length. He does seem like a sharp guy.

Why all the complaining? The system is working. Keep it simple.

Where this is headed, is everyone filing IFR will have a protected corridor where they fly and they will know where everyone else is. We will still be able to buzz around VFR not talking to anyone under 2500 AGL. More automation, less radio communication. Keep it simple. Fuel taxes to fund the majority of the cost is the most equitable way to pay for it. I abhor getting a bill for ATC services. Stay away from that idea.

Never a good idea to give over the hen house to the wolf. Being a corporate pilot for a rich business man,doesn’t seem to be a great resume.

Never a good idea to give over the hen house to the wolf. Being a corporate pilot for a rich business man,doesn’t seem to be a great resume.
What's wrong with it? I'd rather try to talk a corporate pilot out of privatizing ATC than a military or airline pilot or worse, a non-pilot. Dunkin seems to have run a pretty efficient flight department, which would not be a bad way to run the FAA.

As I mentioned earlier, I think that is a misrepresentation.

Running a corporate flight department is essentially running a small airline. I believe they had 2-3 biz jets (incl a 757) and several turbine helos. There is a lot of organization and management needed to keep that department running efficiently.

Last edited:
Why all the complaining? The system is working. Keep it simple.

Where this is headed, is everyone filing IFR will have a protected corridor where they fly and they will know where everyone else is. We will still be able to buzz around VFR not talking to anyone under 2500 AGL. More automation, less radio communication. Keep it simple. Fuel taxes to fund the majority of the cost is the most equitable way to pay for it. I abhor getting a bill for ATC services. Stay away from that idea.

So no VFR more than 2500 agl? I file IFR when I need to, but also fly over the Appalachian at 7500 and 8500msl to guarantee min 2000' clearance, although much of the remainder of the flight is ~6000 agl.

That would also make it difficult for new pilots to get required XC time for Instrument and Commercial tickets . . . .

So no VFR more than 2500 agl? I file IFR when I need to, but also fly over the Appalachian at 7500 and 8500msl to guarantee min 2000' clearance, although much of the remainder of the flight is ~6000 agl.

That would also make it difficult for new pilots to get required XC time for Instrument and Commercial tickets . . . .
I think he's saying that VFR above 2500' agl is okay as long as you're on flight following. Either way that would be giving up a lot of our freedom and I would definitely oppose it.

Is that the guy who forgot to re-register the Citation during the campaign ?

At first I was WTF?

...then learned a bit about the guy and now of the mindset that he is probably a better choice than the typical reshuffling of the bureaucratic deck chairs which is how most every agency position gets filled regardless of which administration is in office.

Will be hard to screw it up any more than current career government lifers in the swamp. Having an aviation professional in that position vs a career politician could be a good thing.

Good question.

I register my plane with the FAA on time. If he didn’t, he shouldn’t be Administrator. Same thing if he flew an unregistered plane.

Uhh, no

He's for privatizing ATC, that alone is a killer, we have the best system on earth, don't screw around with it.

Whether they are good for the job is yet to be seen, but I'm not going to dismiss their resumes out of hand just because they aren't career bureaucrats. That's not my only or even main concern concern.
Strawman. Who said anyone would be good because they're a career bureaucrat?

He was the PIC, so yes. He's responsible for everything concerning that flight.

At first I was WTF?

...then learned a bit about the guy and now of the mindset that he is probably a better choice than the typical reshuffling of the bureaucratic deck chairs which is how most every agency position gets filled regardless of which administration is in office.

Will be hard to screw it up any more than current career government lifers in the swamp. Having an aviation professional in that position vs a career politician could be a good thing.
An aviation professional who wants to gift ATC to the airlines...

Let's not forgot that the flying he did for Trump was general aviation, not airline flying. I don't think he wants to destroy GA in support of the airlines.

Uhh, no

He's for privatizing ATC, that alone is a killer, we have the best system on earth, don't screw around with it.
Trump supports privatizing ATC so it's pretty much a given that anyone he appoints will feel the same way. Ultimately it's up to Congress.

Trump supports privatizing ATC so it's pretty much a given that anyone he appoints will feel the same way. Ultimately it's up to Congress.

Who have a combined knowledge of aviation comparable to a spider monkey.

That seems to be true for the vast majority of issues they vote on.

Which is why we have our constitutional rights 1a,2a and 4a explicitly to protect us from those people, also more passively the right of jury nullification.
This is one of the reasons it bothers me with the FAA being administrative, FAA has zero accountability or anything resembling a real trail system, just ask Hoover.

Last edited:
Mary Schivo should be selected! :popcorn:

images

Last edited:
Well at least Scary Mary is no fan of airlines.

The best FAA administrator is the Administrator that has the ability to let the people in the FAA who know what needs to be done, do their jobs, free from the whims of Congress.

...This is one of the reasons it bothers me with the FAA being administrative, FAA has zero accountability or anything resembling a real trail system, just ask Hoover.
Sounds like you have them mixed up with the National Park Service. ;)

FAA just another office in the swamp.

Go Trump.

Back