Safety pilot responsibilities?

When do you speak up when the PIC is under the hood?

• Total voters

lancie00

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
lancie00
As a spin off from the earlier thread about requiring a safety pilot when on an ifr flight plan. The next questions is how far do you let a pilot under the hood go before telling them to take the hood off?

Generally we discuss it first. But usually it's when there's a safety issue or a regulation or atc instruction about to be busted. If they want me to pretend to be a CFII then I can do that, but usually my primary goal is just to make sure we don't have any safety issues.

I think I agree with bundle. If there's nothing imminent I let it go. And I try not to laugh too loud when I finally say, "we're going missed, my airplane, look outside"

The safety pilot is there to watch for traffic,not to determine if the pilot is flying to your standards.

well ya, but if you're out of internet service do you really wanna wait to get back to PoA to rip in to the guy? heehee

I'm looking for traffic and terrain.

Sometimes I get to laugh.

Actually , the safety pilot is responsible for whatever the PIC tells him/her that he/she is responsible for when they do the required briefing prior to the flight.
And, that responsibility is only to the PIC, since the PIC is still the responsible person for the flight.

Actually , the safety pilot is responsible for whatever the PIC tells him/her that he/she is responsible for when they do the required briefing prior to the flight.
And, that responsibility is only to the PIC, since the PIC is still the responsible person for the flight.
Except the safety pilot can be the actual PIC if both pilots agree....

Back