Chattanooga KCHA Last Week of May

md9680

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
I'm planning a trip from NM to Chattanooga the last week of May and am wondering what kind of flying weather can typically be expected. I would appreciate any info on this subject. Thanks.

May is typically a favorable month for flying, although you can expect a higher probability of afternoon isolated showers and thunderstorms. Temps typically range from high 60's to low 70's in the morning ranging to the mid-90's and humid during the afternoon hours.

Any other questions, feel free to ask!

Flying in the early morning is always recommended.

May is typically a favorable month for flying, although you can expect a higher probability of afternoon isolated showers and thunderstorms. Temps typically range from high 60's to low 70's in the morning ranging to the mid-90's and humid during the afternoon hours.

Thanks for the info and quick response.

We are just west of Chattanooga. Normally I'd say May will be awesome in Tennessee, but the weather we've been having this winter has been very unpredictable. It's been over 80° a couple days this February. Don't get me wrong, I love it! Just never know when we're gonna get hammered with snow, ice, rain, or what! lol Flying out here is painless though ;)

IFR or VFR..??
VFR. Day only. Destination Collegedale.
We are just west of Chattanooga. Normally I'd say May will be awesome in Tennessee, but the weather we've been having this winter has been very unpredictable. It's been over 80° a couple days this February. Don't get me wrong, I love it! Just never know when we're gonna get hammered with snow, ice, rain, or what! lol Flying out here is painless though ;)

Thank you for your response.

Thought I replied but am new to this board. Thank you for the information. I went to school in Sewanee back in 1970 and am returning for a class reunion. Brother-in-law and his family live in Chattanooga and I intend to land at KFGU. Unless the FBO there can rent me a car, I'll ask him to pick us up at Collegedale.

Thought I replied but am new to this board. Thank you for the information. I went to school in Sewanee back in 1970 and am returning for a class reunion. Brother-in-law and his family live in Chattanooga and I intend to land at KFGU. Unless the FBO there can rent me a car, I'll ask him to pick us up at Collegedale.
Cool! Although FGU operates a courtesy car, they don’t rent vehicles out, so Uber or having someone pick you up are currently the only options.

Will this be your first visit to FGU?

Cool! Although FGU operates a courtesy car, they don’t rent vehicles out, so Uber or having someone pick you up are currently the only options.

Will this be your first visit to FGU?

Yeah, first time there. I've probably seen every YouTube video related to FGU to get it in my mind's eye. We're allowing for up to 5 days travel to get there in order to also allow for weather issues. A trip of this length (starting at oh-dark-thirty in the morning here at 1N1) can be completed in a single day according to the flight plan, but obstacles tend to get in the way when I fly east. We're prepared to lay over somewhere along the way. I had my doubts about the rental car availability even though my iFly app indicates they have 'em. Not really a problem with family so nearby.

Yeah, first time there. I've probably seen every YouTube video related to FGU to get it in my mind's eye. We're allowing for up to 5 days travel to get there in order to also allow for weather issues. A trip of this length (starting at oh-dark-thirty in the morning here at 1N1) can be completed in a single day according to the flight plan, but obstacles tend to get in the way when I fly east. We're prepared to lay over somewhere along the way. I had my doubts about the rental car availability even though my iFly app indicates they have 'em. Not really a problem with family so nearby.
Yeah, I live 15 minutes from FGU and unfortunately they do not offer rental car service.

The winds at Collegedale don't always match Chattanooga, and when I flew there last (a few years ago) the AWOS was not working. Unless there is established traffic in the pattern, I would recommend overflying the field to check the sock. The runway has a pronounced grade to it, and if you have an unexpected tail wind on landing, it can be problematic.

The winds at Collegedale don't always match Chattanooga, and when I flew there last (a few years ago) the AWOS was not working. Unless there is established traffic in the pattern, I would recommend overflying the field to check the sock. The runway has a pronounced grade to it, and if you have an unexpected tail wind on landing, it can be problematic.

Will do. My home field, 1N1, also has a pronounced grade and I prefer the uphill direction. Landing downhill requires more attention to speeds, acceptance of being closer to the ground on final and the resultant alteration in "sight picture".

Thanks for responding.

You didn't ask, but KCHA is a very easy class C to fly into. Very common to hear "clear to land" miles out.

KCHA is a very easy class C to fly into.

Ah, yes. I flew commercial back to Albuquerque last year but, alas, I prefer the "uncontrolled" world when possible when I'm doing the flying, but will operate in class D when that rental car is really needed. In this instance my brother-in-law lives closer to FGU than CHA and he can pick us up. Thank you for the suggestion.

I went to school in Sewanee back in 1970 and am returning for a class reunion. Brother-in-law and his family live in Chattanooga and I intend to land at KFGU. Unless the FBO there can rent me a car, I'll ask him to pick us up at Collegedale.

Is the class reunion in Chattanooga or Sewanee? You can fly into here (KBGF) and pick up your rental vehicle if it's in Sewanee. We are about 15 minutes from the University. I'd say fly into Sewanee, but rental cars don't go up there.

It's in Sewanee. Yeah, I DID consider Winchester -- Nice looking field, there are car rentals and it's a short drive up the mountain from there. I had also considered UOS as kind of a "bucket list" item, but knew there wouldn't be any car rentals (or much of anything) there. All this aside, my brother-in-law (BIL) and mother-in-law (MIL) live in Chattanooga and they both will want rides in the plane during our stay. Figured FGU would work better for that. The plan is to have my BIL pick us up at FGU. If we really need a car rental, I can get one somewhere in Chattanooga before the event in Sewanee. I imagine, though, either my BIL or MIL will offer their cars for the purpose. We'll be staying with my MIL, btw. The plans are pretty much in place and I was just wanting to hear about typical flying weather conditions for the area at that time. Thanks for your suggestion.

I will add another voice of strong recommendation to land to the south at FGU if you've never been there unless the winds are really favorable otherwise; I've landed to the south with an 8-knot tailwind and had to add a good bit of power on the roll out to make it to the FBO. FGU is behind a small mountain ridge from CHA and as someone mentioned, the winds are often surprisingly different. FGU doesn't have an ASOS/AWOS, they have an OMWR (Old Man With Radio), if no one answers your call for weather, the weather at RZR is probably a better match than CHA. Coming from the west, you will miss it the first time you overfly, it is hard to spot until you are right on top of it.

No worries. If anything changes or you need help with anything locally, feel free to let me know. Help you out however I can. I guess I didn't really say, but I'm the airport manager at BGF.

I will add another voice of strong recommendation to land to the south at FGU if you've never been there unless the winds are really favorable otherwise; I've landed to the south with an 8-knot tailwind and had to add a good bit of power on the roll out to make it to the FBO. FGU is behind a small mountain ridge from CHA and as someone mentioned, the winds are often surprisingly different. FGU doesn't have an ASOS/AWOS, they have an OMWR (Old Man With Radio), if no one answers your call for weather, the weather at RZR is probably a better match than CHA. Coming from the west, you will miss it the first time you overfly, it is hard to spot until you are right on top of it.

Yeah, I've heard that about the winds there and I'll definitely prefer the uphill landing over the alternative. It's also nice to have 250 horses at the ready for go-arounds. We have a similar situation here at 1N1 where it's seemingly always windy (240-330@20G40+) and, when less than 270, rows of houses with occasional streets between them down to the runway on the south side (it's a residential airpark). Glad 27 is uphill and, yes, I sometimes have to add power to get "up" to complete the rollout to the FBO gas pumps. Thanks for the recommendation and observations.

No worries. If anything changes or you need help with anything locally, feel free to let me know. Help you out however I can. I guess I didn't really say, but I'm the airport manager at BGF.

Thanks for your kind offer. I might just come over to BGF with the BIL to check your place out on one of the rides out of FGU while I'm there.

Speaking of airport managers, I contacted FGU to ask about availability of a hangar for the week we're there. I think it was Chris who called me the other day to let me know that FGU is currently closed for runway sealing and painting, scheduled to be complete 5/24. He just wanted me to know that, even though the runway "should" be available on the 26th, it might not be. It was nice for him to call me with that info and it brought to mind that I might end up at BGF after all. ;) But, time will tell.

Speaking of airport managers, I contacted FGU to ask about availability of a hangar for the week we're there. I think it was Chris who called me the other day to let me know that FGU is currently closed for runway sealing and painting, scheduled to be complete 5/24. He just wanted me to know that, even though the runway "should" be available on the 26th, it might not be. It was nice for him to call me with that info and it brought to mind that I might end up at BGF after all. ;) But, time will tell.
Yeah, the paving is currently underway. It’s going to look nice when it’s all said and done. If you’re still looking for an airfield in the Chattanooga area, do consider 1A0. Hangar availability is very limited, but a tie down would be guaranteed. KRZR is another good option to consider. BGF is a good distance from Chattanooga.

Last edited:
If the runway improvements at FGU aren't complete by the afternoon of 5/26, I would go to BGF primarily because I can get a car rental there. It's also an easy drive up to Sewanee, where the reunion activities will be and not really far to continue on to my wife's family in Chattanooga. KRZR has been considered as well. Of course, I guess I could just bite the bullet and put down at CHA for the best of all these options. We'll see. You guys back East have too many choices for airports! ;)

Can’t speak to parking fees and the like, but CHA approach and tower were super nice to this student pilot on his first night cross country.

Oh yeah, I know Chris over there...very nice guy. Give me a heads up if you end up needing to be here. Got hangar space if you need it, and of course you know we can help you with the rental car.

If you do get caught by the weather and can't make it all the way in, Huntsville is about an hour short of CHA and has lots of room and I can put you up for the night. I'll PM my phone number if you want.

If you do get caught by the weather and can't make it all the way in, Huntsville is about an hour short of CHA and has lots of room and I can put you up for the night. I'll PM my phone number if you want.

Thanks. Yeah, my wife and I want to see the museum down there so we'll probably just make the drive, assuming we get into either FGU or CHA on Saturday. Now that the runway sealing/painting is complete, I'll be aiming for FGU.

There's supposed to be a "drying trend" in the weather over there in Middle Tennessee, just in time for our x-country from New Mexico to Collegdale on Saturday. However, I still expect to have an "adventurous" time with storm avoidance along the way. Even though we'll leave before dawn, we'll still be getting near Chattanooga mid-afternoon -- just in time for rain! Someone please tell me I'm wrong. :rolleyes:

I'm planning a trip from NM to Chattanooga the last week of May and am wondering what kind of flying weather can typically be expected. I would appreciate any info on this subject. Thanks.

It's going to rain. A lot. ;)

My weather mantra is: whatever the weatherman says is going to happen probably won't and what does happen will happen and there;s nothing you can do about it.

There's supposed to be a "drying trend" in the weather over there in Middle Tennessee, just in time for our x-country from New Mexico to Collegdale on Saturday. However, I still expect to have an "adventurous" time with storm avoidance along the way. Even though we'll leave before dawn, we'll still be getting near Chattanooga mid-afternoon -- just in time for rain! Someone please tell me I'm wrong. :rolleyes:
I’m sure you’ve got a watchful eye on the forecasts, but they’re calling for an elevated chance for showers and thunderstorms (CHA) throughout the weekend and into next week. Lots of moisture from the gulf funneling up into the SE. Just a heads up. May want to have a plan B on standby.

Yeah, that's what I've been seeing in the forecasting tools -- 85% cloud cover, 65% likelihood of showers -- and exactly during the time frame I'm expecting to arrive!!! If we can stand the bumps and gyrations around and behind storms, we MIGHT be able to reach the destination "safely". Otherwise, we'll put down somewhere away from the big activities and wait, even overnight if necessary. Get-there-itis will NOT replace common sense on this trip.

Yeah, that's what I've been seeing in the forecasting tools -- 85% cloud cover, 65% likelihood of showers -- and exactly during the time frame I'm expecting to arrive!!! If we can stand the bumps and gyrations around and behind storms, we MIGHT be able to reach the destination "safely". Otherwise, we'll put down somewhere away from the big activities and wait, even overnight if necessary. Get-there-itis will NOT replace common sense on this trip.

Thought I'd report on what turned out to be a memorable trip back on 26 May.

We left 1N1 (Sandia Airpark, NM) at 0600 MDT and flew at mostly 9500k, with 2 fuel (and 2 additional nature stops) past AMA (Amarillo, TX), OJA (Weatherford, OK), CCA (Clinton, AR), M04 (Covington, TN and finally, FGU (Collegedale). This was the longest single day flight I had ever made and the first East of the Mississippi. Another big "first" was having to fly under broken clouds at 3k from M04 to CHA (FGU) with several diversions (even into Alabama) south of active thunderstorms as we approached Chattanooga late that afternoon. I had hoped to approach FGU from the north side around CHA but the weather was not cooperating and came up from near Huntsville, AL from the SW instead. My GPS pointed out FGU adequately but I was a bit surprised about having to be on the other side of a ridge to space my downwind leg for runway 21. All those trees around us on final was another "first" but I loved the steep approach and basically short field landing I performed to make the first turnoff.

Eventually got a hangar there for the next week at the end of which I took my brother-in-law up for his first flying-the-plane experience. We landed at UOS (Sewanee), where I had the previous day participated in the statue dedication/reunion activities. Landing at Sewanee was a "bucket list" thing for me. The weather that entire week had been pretty bad with low ceilings, 80 percent cloud cover, low visibility and HOT!!! We waited to depart on Wed, 6/6, from FGU for the trip back to New Mexico. Karen and I were certainly ready for 8500/10500k altitudes ASAP to get out of the humidity and finally cool off in almost smooth air! The flight back was fairly uneventful until we encountered some convective areas beginning in western Oklahoma and continuing almost to our destination. We arrived home at 1N1 at around 1700 MDT. Great trip! Thanks to all you who offered advise and details I wouldn't have known.

Back