One night in Memphis

charheep

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
charheep
I am probably going to stop at KAWM on my way back from my annual trek to visit my dad's grave this Friday. I have never been to Memphis, and will only have one night stay. Anything I should do/see? Any recommendations on an airport if KAWM isnt a good choice?
I will get a room near downtown Memphis, unless there is a better area to stay.

I will have a rental car. I like Elvis, but I could skip Graceland easily. I dont like people or groups.
Any good BBQ?

I am probably going to stop at KAWM on my way back from my annual trek to visit my dad's grave this Friday. I have never been to Memphis, and will only have one night stay. Anything I should do/see? Any recommendations on an airport if KAWM isnt a good choice?
I will get a room near downtown Memphis, unless there is a better area to stay.

I will have a rental car. I like Elvis, but I could skip Graceland easily. I dont like people or groups.
Any good BBQ?
My daughter and I took a mini vacation last year over Christmas in Memphis. Great town. We used M01 and they bent over backwards to help us have a nice visit...I highly recommend them.
I’m not much for consumerism but the Bass Pro there is very impressive.

KAWM and M01 are both convenient to downtown but M01 is closer. The Rendezvous is kind of a Memphis experience, its worth doing. Some people don't like the dry rub ribs but they are my favorite.

AWM is my home field and is great, just across the river from Downtown. As Cooter stated, M01 would be a little closer and is fine as well.

BBQ in Memphis is very subjective - It is ALL good at some level. With downtown in consideration - Rendezvous for ribs ( and ribs only) and Central BBQ for everything else. These are both downtown and convenient to your stay.

M01 looks to be under the 1800ft Bravo shelf. Any issues sneaking in that low? KAWM is on my route coming back so it might be easier for me, but it really isnt a big deal to head to either.

The Rendezvous looks nice! On the list.

M01 looks to be under the 1800ft Bravo shelf. Any issues sneaking in that low? KAWM is on my route coming back so it might be easier for me, but it really isnt a big deal to head to either.

The Rendezvous looks nice! On the list.
Wasn’t an issue at all for us. Remember, it’s like<250 above msl there.

It is very easy to get into M01, the shelf doesn't pose much problem. Memphis and area is the true definition of 'flatlands' and plenty of room under the shelf. The bridge to the south and there are some towers NE of the field (hence the right traffic over the river).

The runway is right on the river and sits behind a levee, so in some winds - it can swirl. Great field, great fuel prices and great people though.

Ok, you sold me on M01. :)

Looks like there are some hotels on the Germantown side of Memphis. That should work.

Thanks all.

If its just for one night, I would stay downtown or else stay over in WM. Germantown is safer, but inconvenient to downtown. If you're going to stay in Germantown, I'd land at Olive Branch.

There are no Hilton availability downtown (gotta keep up that Hilton Honors status). So Germantown looks good; on the map at least. I dont mind driving through the city, it gets me a nice tour of everything. Unless its a bad idea. Like I would say if you wanted to drive through Chicago, its just a bad idea type of thing.

My plans right now are to be in the Memphis area around 2 pm Friday. I just want to be home (KARR) Saturday night, so that gives me the rest of Friday and Saturday before noon to kill. I could always just take off and fly somewhere else instead of hangin in Memphis Saturday but since I have never been I thought I would stay and scope it out.

Its just me (no need to ask anyone..), so I am open to suggestions and ideas

Germantown is fine, I just don't like traffic. If you take the 240 loop south, don't stop until you get past Mt. Moriah and you'll be fine.:)

Moving out to Germantown adds another great option for BBQ, the Commissary. But doesn't add too much to the stuff to do. OLV would still put you about the same time wise as AWM or M01.

Downtown - BassPro (it is worth a walk thorugh), Beale (be gone by 10pm), Peabody lobby piano bar, Gibson guitar factory, Lorraine motel, main street (bars and restaurants)
A little east of Downtown - Overton Square - Collection of bars and restaurants Lafayette's has live music

Out East (Germantown)
Commissary and Southern Social across the street for dinner
Patriot Lake at Shelby Farms for something outside. Hike, rent a bike, rent a kayak or paddle boat

Graceland isn't in the best of neighborhoods. You will pass pretty closely travelling from downtown to Germantown on the south loop of 240. I have lived here all my life and haven't stopped in there once. Always alot of people at the house, planes and museum though.

It's just not really our time of the year - things start picking up around May with Memphis in May and other outdoor activities.

M01. I used to fly out of there all the time. Easy in and out.

If you are staying in Germantown, forget about all other bbq suggestions and go to the Commissary. You will not be disappointed.

Boscos at Overton Square for local beer.

Don’t waste your time with Graceland, Lorraine Motel, or the Beale Street dives.

Gibson Guitars, Sun Studios, Stax Museum, and the Cotton Museum are all better choices.

Note: the above info is based on when I lived there. I left 5 years ago.

I work downtown Memphis about 4 blocks from Rendezvous. It is okay, but others are better. Cozy Corner is a great BBQ place near Highway 51 and North Parkay, but not in a great part of town, but not the worst. Interstate BBQ on 3rd St by I-55 is typically good. I live on the opposite side of Germantown in Collierville. Olive Branch is better choice for anything out east. Topps BBQ has a good sandwich. Several locations around town.

Personally, I’d use M01. Cheaper fuel, typically by a wide margin and shorter drive than AWM to downtown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I work downtown Memphis about 4 blocks from Rendezvous. It is okay, but others are better. Cozy Corner is a great BBQ place near Highway 51 and North Parkay, but not in a great part of town, but not the worst. Interstate BBQ on 3rd St by I-55 is typically good. I live on the opposite side of Germantown in Collierville. Olive Branch is better choice for anything out east. Topps BBQ has a good sandwich. Several locations around town.

Personally, I’d use M01. Cheaper fuel, typically by a wide margin and shorter drive than AWM to downtown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep. I was going to recommend Cozy Corner until he mentioned they were staying in Germantown. When I lived in Midtown, I ate at Cozy Corner several times.

I've been to M01 a couple of times for a night or two. I get a taxi or Lyft to the Hampton hotel and walk to Beale street. I also went to the Rendezvous for the duck walk but the best place to eat is Gus' fried chicken. If you want to go anywhere around town then take the trolley. Get on for a dollar and ride as long as you want.

I bought my plane at M01, real nice field. While I was down there last year to look at the plane I went to the Blues City Cafe for a great meal and a great rockabilly band. Brother Juniper's for breakfast was funky but very good, too.

I used to spend LOTS of time in Germantown

For steak = Folk's Folly (a wee bit of a drive to the west but not bad)

For cajun/creole = Owen Brennan's (mmmmmmmmmm)

Rendezvous is in a basement with exactly one visible exit (or should I say it was 15 years ago, can't speak to what it is today). If it still is then count me out regardless of how good it is. I ate their once and was NOT comfortable with that situation at all.

Seeing the Peabody Duck March is worth doing once.

I used to spend LOTS of time in Germantown

For steak = Folk's Folly (a wee bit of a drive to the west but not bad)

For cajun/creole = Owen Brennan's (mmmmmmmmmm)

Rendezvous is in a basement with exactly one visible exit (or should I say it was 15 years ago, can't speak to what it is today). If it still is then count me out regardless of how good it is. I ate their once and was NOT comfortable with that situation at all.

NOTHING has changed. Same same. Despite having been to Rendezvous many times (mostly business related) I'm still just not a huge fan despite it being may a five minute walk from my office. Too many other good BBQ places. Central BBQ is excellent.

Land at KMEM. Easy GA airport, great access to town. Good FBO and very cheap overnight fees.

Wow ... this Memphis thread made me take to google maps and satellite view and poke around ... things have sure changed since I spent a year at NAS Millington back in '78.
I began my private flight training at the flying club at NAS (now a public field), soloed at Arlington (gone - it's a strip mall?), can still faintly make out the reporting point Wagon Wheel, can't find the "new" (then) mall I lived near, also can't remember for the life of me where the apartment I rented was ... pretty sketchy part of Memphis, tho, since on an E-3 pay, you don't rent much...

Wow ... this Memphis thread made me take to google maps and satellite view and poke around ... things have sure changed since I spent a year at NAS Millington back in '78.
I began my private flight training at the flying club at NAS (now a public field), soloed at Arlington (gone - it's a strip mall?), can still faintly make out the reporting point Wagon Wheel, can't find the "new" (then) mall I lived near, also can't remember for the life of me where the apartment I rented was ... pretty sketchy part of Memphis, tho, since on an E-3 pay, you don't rent much...

Speaking of Millington, I recall maybe back in the 80s hearing or reading that Fred Smith wanted to expand his FedEx operation at MEM and the city or whoever runs the airport was giving him a hard time about it. He told them if he didn't get additional space he'd move the entire FedEx operation up to Millington. They were a bit smaller than today of course, but he was granted room to expand.

Speaking of Millington, I recall maybe back in the 80s hearing or reading that Fred Smith wanted to expand his FedEx operation at MEM and the city or whoever runs the airport was giving him a hard time about it. He told them if he didn't get additional space he'd move the entire FedEx operation up to Millington. They were a bit smaller than today of course, but he was granted room to expand.
The space he eventually got was the TANG C-5 ramp. The Guard packed up and moved further south and built all new facilities.

I began my private flight training at the flying club at NAS (now a public field), soloed at Arlington (gone - it's a strip mall?), can still faintly make out the reporting point Wagon Wheel, can't find the "new" (then) mall I lived near.

Here’s what’s left of Arlington Airport. (If you get lost, fly to the white tank then fly south.)

1399A16D-3AB1-4655-AF74-9C0415F28FC6.jpeg

Here's what's left of the Wagon Wheel ...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 5.11.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 5.11.07 PM.png
    493.5 KB · Views: 20

When Blytheville, later Eaker, Air Force Base in Blytheville, Arkansas closed in 1992, reportedly FedEx was looking at moving lock, stock and barrel to the old base to set up operations with their own dedicated airport and facilities. The City of Blytheville wouldn't play ball wanting way more money than FedEx was offering (nevermind the jobs it would have brought). They did use the old base for Christmas holiday madness for a few years, but nothing more.

When Blytheville, later Eaker, Air Force Base in Blytheville, Arkansas closed in 1992, reportedly FedEx was looking at moving lock, stock and barrel to the old base to set up operations with their own dedicated airport and facilities. The City of Blytheville wouldn't play ball wanting way more money than FedEx was offering (nevermind the jobs it would have brought). They did use the old base for Christmas holiday madness for a few years, but nothing more.

Greedy city! That would have been perfect for them. Airborne Express did that in Ohio at the old Clinton County AFB near Wilmington OH.

Long overdue report, for the people that like closure.
Flew to 5M1 to visit dad's final resting place. Great little airport, very friendly people. I think they were surprised to see a non-Ag plane land. Very rickey old police cruiser for a courtesy car. Was perfect for what I needed.
Felt bad to not take on fuel but I promised M01 my fuel purchase. M01 got me a rental and had everything ready when I landed. Weird flying so close to the downtown and not busting airspace. Great people.

Memphis was packed everywhere I went. Watched the ducks, it was solid packed. Which is understandable. But the Germantown hotel was at capacity, and the restaurants around it was all long lines. I went out late and got some BBQ at a random place. It was decent for a place that I just found.

Flights there and home were uneventful and very little turbulence. Pretty town, and everyone was pretty nice.

Thanks for the airport recommendation. Worked out great

They still have the Vigilante on a stick there! Not sure where they sent the rest of the jets on the south side. When I was there, they must have had 30 or so A-7s on the south side sitting outside a warehouse. Most were Desert Storm vets with camels painted on the sides. Not sure why they went there but I think some went to A school for students to learn airframe/ power plant and the rest to the boneyard.

I know there is an A-4 "Scooter" Skyhawk on a pole on Highway 51 in Millington. I don't recall seeing any other former milair a/c around there, but I don't spend a great deal of time there. Last trip was to buy booze for my daughter's wedding reception at the NEX Package Store (AAFES Class VI to USA/USAF types). Literally filled up the back of my F-150 with it. :D

Back