POA Scholarships

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
Lately I've been wondering how I could give back to aviation in some way and I was bouncing around the idea of paying for a student to get their PPL and I was wondering if there would be support for it from other pilots here.

Rough thoughts would be that we could setup an ongoing subscription to donate a certain amount of money to see a student pilot (high schooler?) get their PPL. Once one person finishes up, then we give a scholarship to another person and just keep it going.

P.S. Mtns2Skies promised me that you wouldn't make fun of me too much for posting this idea.

I think the scholarship application should have a rant section on it.

Rough thoughts would be that we could setup an ongoing subscription to donate a certain amount of money to see a student pilot (high schooler?) get their PPL. Once one person finishes up, then we give a scholarship to another person and just keep it going.

Set it up; I'm in.

My EAA chapter raises money for a weeklong flying camp that the local flight school puts on. We have a hard time finding interested teenagers to participate.

My EAA chapter raises money for a weeklong flying camp that the local flight school puts on. We have a hard time finding interested teenagers to participate.

Send a brochure to the local high school counsellors, so the teenagers will be aware of the program.

Many college scholarships go unclaimed every year because few people know about them . . . .

Many of us struggle sometimes to find the money to do the flying that we want to do, let alone pay for someone else to fly.

Lately I've been wondering how I could give back to aviation in some way and I was bouncing around the idea of paying for a student to get their PPL and I was wondering if there would be support for it from other pilots here.

P.S. Mtns2Skies promised me that you wouldn't make fun of me too much for posting this idea.

I personally think this is a great idea as well!

Set it up as a 501(c)(3) and my company will match a $100 contribution I'm making anyway to someplace else. I'm sure even among those of us struggling to fly there are some who could pony up for a flight hour.

Many of us struggle sometimes to find the money to do the flying that we want to do, let alone pay foru someone else to fly.

No disrespect 'Dog, but I think it's a worthwhile idea. I completely understand where you're coming from, but this would be voluntary anyway, so if one can't contribute no harm. I'd consider kicking in some.

Hey, we could do a challenge thing. Like I'll commit 100 bucks if @soandso will ___________.

Set it up as a 501(c)(3) and my company will match a $100 contribution I'm making anyway to someplace else. I'm sure even among those of us struggling to fly there are some who could pony up for a flight hour.

I do that with the employer match for Cloud Nine. Ted’s MU2 is on an engine scholarship right now.

To qualify, the training must be done in a Bo with a CFI who is not gold seal at an airport that is uncontrolled and all charting must be on Foreflight.

Will be tough to qualify, but if there are Any Applicants In The Area, Please Advise. AAITAPA.

[Damn I'm funny in the morning, so sayeth me. Tried to work in AOA but it wasn't flowing]

To qualify, the training must be done in a Bo with a CFI who is not gold seal at an airport that is uncontrolled and all charting must be on Foreflight.

Will be tough to qualify, but if there are Any Applicants In The Area, Please Advise. AAITAPA.

[Damn I'm funny in the morning, so sayeth me]

Don't have nor use fore flight, otherwise I meet your qualifications. And no, you're not funny in the morning! ;):D

Call me a grump, but there are already a ton of scholarships for kids to do flight training (EAA, AOPA, 99s, etc). Lets face it high schoolers will get their rating, go off to college, and stop flying due to a lack of finances (been there, done that). A few may rejoin after a couple years in the work force, but many others won't. Why not target an older audience? Have the scholarships provide ~5 hours of flight training in an effort to get adults hooked and they may be willing to siphon off some of their hard-earned cash to finish up their certificate. There are tons of people out there who have dreamed for a long time about flying, but that for whatever reason haven't been in a situation where the could make it work. I think an approach like this would be more beneficial for growing GA and have a impact in a much shorter time-period.

Call me a grump, but there are already a ton of scholarships for kids to do flight training (EAA, AOPA, 99s, etc). Lets face it high schoolers will get their rating, go off to college, and stop flying due to a lack of finances (been there, done that).
Speaking in generalities are we? I honestly don't know a single young pilot that's happened to and I know dozens. They all got their licenses in HS or early college and continue to fly with no hiatus, even the ones that don't go professional. Hell, I bought a Skywagon at 23 - entirely of my own accord.

It's all about drive and making it a priority. Regardless of age.

I will donate some free instruction.
I've almost completed a complete flying course that will revolutionize the way we fly anyway.

@eman1200 just admitted to being a highschooler and you guys missed it...:yikes: This is not the POA That I know...:mad2:
Just like I assume you are joking about Eman being a highschooler, I also assumed Eman was joking when I said "this is why we can't do nice things". I assume that even if we took him seriously and gave him money towards his IFR rating, he would turn us down or redirect it to someone more in need.

My grumpiness comes from a history of offering nice things for free to a group of people. It was always the same two people that would jump at anything that is free, but would ignore anything if I asked a dollar (for something worth much much more). One time offered a free router to any employee that wanted it. One person jumped up and said "Free? I'll take it" (she was one of the two). I asked her if she knew what a router was and she said "No, but if it's free, i'll take it".

If we were to do this scholarship thing, I would want some assurance that the recipient is someone that would actually appreciate it, and has demonstrated a past desire to pursue flying. My thought is that maybe some of our resident CFI's might know a deserving student that is not getting enough hours due to finances, or maybe on of our members has as son or daughter that would like lessons but it is beyond their reach. I think the recipient has to make some sort of personal investment too though.

I'll go against the grain here a little bit (not about "paying it forward", I do believe there are things we as a group can do)........but since flight training isn't a NEED, I think our collective money (what are we talking about, $5 - $10,000??!??) can have a HUGE impact if used in other ways, to help a lot of people (not just one) who actually are in need. I find giving people rides who express interest is more than enough 'pay it forward'. not to mention "struggling" to get thru training is another thing that made it all worth it in the end...making $acrifices etc to make it work. would I donate? sure I would. do I think it's the best use of a rather large sum of money? no, I don't.

I am with Eman on this.
I am happy to contribute but if you look at the number of people that start and never finish or quit...

How would we feel if we chunked a collective 10k at something and the kid soloed, then worked on his XC and fizzled out.
I would estimate that half the people I see my first CFI post first solos about never make it to his "New pilot" post.

I am with Eman on this.
I am happy to contribute but if you look at the number of people that start and never finish or quit...

How would we feel if we chunked a collective 10k at something and the kid soloed, then worked on his XC and fizzled out.
I would estimate that half the people I see my first CFI post first solos about never make it to his "New pilot" post.
While that certainly happens that's incredibly unfair to the people that will succeed. Sometimes you have to take chances on people. Nothing is guaranteed regardless of where your money goes so why not try to promote GA?

Think back to y'all's (much) younger selves and being idealistic and wanting to fly when you didn't have such easy access to it as you do today. It would mean the world to get a scholarship like this. I'd donate a tank of gas for someone else to fly.

There are PLENTY of incredibly determined young people out there that would certainly fly and continue flying. You can't lump them into the same category as those that give up.

Just because you're old and cynical (collective you, not specific to 6PC) doesn't mean you have to spread that onto the younger generation.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I have to laugh when someone refers to 6PC as old. And if I remember right, 6PC was the only other one on the board that donated to a fellow POAer that had broken his back and was having trouble getting medical attention.

Now, mscard, that's OLD. I think he's even older than me.

Being young and idealistic doesn't necessarily translate into having good judgement. And having real experience doesn't necessarily indicate cynicism.

Being young and idealistic doesn't necessarily translate into having good judgement.
But it sure doesn't mean that it equates to poor judgement and lack of drive that many here are suggesting. I stand by what I said.

And if I remember right, 6PC was the only other one on the board that donated to a fellow POAer that had broken his back and was having trouble getting medical attention.
Then he bought an airplane and now look what happened! :eek: ;)

But it sure doesn't mean that it equates to poor judgement and lack of drive that many here are suggesting. I stand by what I said.
I agree with you 80%. Most young people I have met and worked with were hard working and motivated. But it is the other 20% that take anything they can get without giving back that makes it hard to know who is deserving.

I agree with you 80%. Most young people I have met and worked with were hard working and motivated. But it is the other 20% that take anything they can get without giving back that makes it hard to know who is deserving.
That's true regardless of age.

That's true regardless of age.
That's why I would have the same reservations about making a similar offer to anyone of any age. If I am going to give someone help, I want to know they are willing to help themselves.

I do the young eagle program,not sure giving out one scholarship is helpfull.

Back