Airport to use - Downtown Houston

mulligan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mulligan
Have to travel to Houston for work and figured better to fly the drive from Baton Rouge.

Is it best to fly into Hobby or is there a better alternative that may be close and not so busy?

There's also Hooks and Sugarland that are not too far and pretty easy to get in and out of.

La Porte if you are feeling adventurous. Really adventurous.

But seriously hobby or sugarland. EFD would be ok. You will see T-38s instead of the 737s and king airs at hobby.

EFD is fine, about 15 minutes further out than Hobby. Watch out for ANG Apaches and NASA T-38s. They are prolly watching for you if tower can be bothered to call traffic.

IWS is nice too. Very close to I-10 for a straight drive to down town. Crew cars and rental cars both available at FBO desk.

Laporte has the cheap fuel and overnight tie downs...no rental cars but easy in and out and real easy from the east...access to downtown on 225...I keep a couple of aircraft there. I would use Harvey and Rhin FBO, but EFD and Hobby also work...just pay more for fuel and services T41 is never busy and really the same for Ellington with a tower...

KLVJ (My home airport) is GA Friendly. I'd rather fly out of there than EFD. Limited IFR approaches though.

Houston area has a lot of fog lately, FYI.

I fly into Houston quite often. West Houston (KIWS) is great if your business is around the Energy Corridor or even the west side of downtown.

I fly in and get a Uber to my appointment. Extremely easy in and out.

Where in Houston do you need to be? If you’re far enough north Spring/Woodlands you can do Hooks or even Lonestar Executive in Conroe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For Downtown locations, I'd use Hobby if you are good with a moderately busy airport. If you are uncomfortable being around big iron, EFD is a good alternative. These are both GA friendly airports.

Back