Spark Plugs

Ronnie Godfrey

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ronnie Godfrey
How do you know when it’s time to change them? Went to fly the last day we had decent weather (almost two weeks ago ) and the right mag ran rough so I canceled the flight. Pulled the lower plugs tonight and found a little buildup. Cleaned the plugs with a wire brush, and noticed a couple of lead deposits below the tines, but wasn’t sure how to clean it out. Did what I could, replaced and did a runup. The engine ran rough for a minute but cleared up after a couple run ups. I think the problem is solved but I still want my A&P to take a look. Anyway, the plugs did look fairly old and I was wondering how you know when it’s time to just change them out?

Expect a spate of responses on better operation of the engine but to answer the 'when is it time to change the plugs';
age/appearance/function/testing are all proposed as useful means to consider 'when'.

Last edited:
Electrode erosion and internal resistance. Talk to your mechanic. There’s a few things you need to know but it’s far from rocket science.

Expect a spate of responses on better operation of the engine but to answer the 'when is it time to change the plugs';
age/appearance/function are all proposed as useful means to consider 'when'.
Honestly I feel like we run the engine pretty well. We lean for taxi and for cruise flight just like we are supposed to. We usually take off and land full rich though.

How do you know when it’s time to change them? Went to fly the last day we had decent weather (almost two weeks ago ) and the right mag ran rough so I canceled the flight. Pulled the lower plugs tonight and found a little buildup. Cleaned the plugs with a wire brush, and noticed a couple of lead deposits below the tines, but wasn’t sure how to clean it out. Did what I could, replaced and did a runup. The engine ran rough for a minute but cleared up after a couple run ups. I think the problem is solved but I still want my A&P to take a look. Anyway, the plugs did look fairly old and I was wondering how you know when it’s time to just change them out?

To get any idea of the health of a plug, you need some equipment. The typical shop uses a spark plug cleaner/tester that blasts the deposits out of the cavity. Hardened deposits might require some picking or a special probe on a vibratory electric engraver. You have to be careful picking in there, as any side loading on the ceramic can crack it, not only failing the plug but putting ceramic bits into the cylinder. They're really hard and can do lots of damage. The tester part of the machine puts the plug under air pressure and sends a calibrated voltage through the plug to see how much pressure it will withstand before the spark goes out. Failure of the internal resistor is the usual cause of early spark failure. And you also need a small device to reduce the plug gap, a gauge to get it set right, and another gauge to see how far the electrodes are eroded.

See all the stuff in this manual: http://www.championaerospace.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/AV6-R-Aug20141.pdf

Most plugs look like this:

REM40E.jpg

If your engine is approved for them, you should use these:

REM37BY.jpg

The first type has a deep well that fills with deposits that end up shorting the electrodes, killing the spark. The second has extended electrodes that are really resistant to that problem, and I install them whenever possible. My experience is that they also do a better, more consistent job of ignition since the spark is farther out in the air/fuel mix instead of back near that plug well where there might be some burned gases still hiding out. I prefer the Tempest over the Champion, too. Champ has long had resistor failure problems, and they finally changed the design to the integral molded-in resistor a year or two ago, but there is still some old stock out there. Look into the deep plug lead well (outer end of the plug) and see if the silver contact in the bottom has a slot in it like a screw head. If it does, it's the old design. Tempest always used the molded-in resistor, as did Auburn, who made the best plugs ever until 10 or 12 years ago when Champion bought them up and shut them down.

Find your engine here: http://www.tempestplus.com/portals/0/pdfs/tempestappguidev3-07-01-13.pdf

The UREM37BY is the one you want if the engine can take it. Champion's number is REM37BY. The extended electrodes don't fit in some engines because the piston comes too close.

As usual Dan gives a great response.

Good job by the OP rejecting the flight in order to clean plugs.

As for life, look at about 500 hours for standard plugs that have been rotated regularly. The other thing to do is look at time since the mags have been IRANd. Harnesses usually go a couple thousand hours but sometimes fail early. A good mechanic will help you with figuring out what needs done.

The engine is about 450 SMOH and the plugs were last changed at that time. Sounds like we might be about due. Thanks Dan for the detailed response! Looks like the ol’ Money pit is gonna get fed again lol!

Ever notice ?
How often we see folks with problems with fine wire ( Iredium ) plugs?

I don’t know many people willing to spend the money on them so I’m not qualified to have an opinion. What issues do you see with the fine wires?
Tempest fine wires are the way to go. When ya look at life and performance they are actually the best choice.

I don’t know many people willing to spend the money on them so I’m not qualified to have an opinion. What issues do you see with the fine wires?
Here is the formula, 4 times the price, 5 times the life.'

I have a 172 "L" model with original engine and a 160 HP upgrade. What spark plug is the replacement and what are my spark plug options, and would you replace the plug wires as well? Should I use "massive electrode" or "fine wire" ? And finally, Tempest or Champion? I could call my A&P and ask him but would like to be a little "informed" before speaking with him. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If you want the plugs to last a drop longer, lean for takeoff too. It’s a bit ballzy, but my mechanic (also a former flight instructor) taught me to lean on the roll or at least on the climb. Any time I take my plane to him and he checks the spark plugs, they barely show any signs of lead deposits. The only thing we will see is wearing out. I’m not a mechanic so I don’t know what any of that stuff is called.

If you want the plugs to last a drop longer, lean for takeoff too. It’s a bit ballzy, but my mechanic (also a former flight instructor) taught me to lean on the roll or at least on the climb. Any time I take my plane to him and he checks the spark plugs, they barely show any signs of lead deposits. The only thing we will see is wearing out. I’m not a mechanic so I don’t know what any of that stuff is called.
Starting with somewhere in the three to five thousand feet range of density altitude, leaning for best power prior to takeoff is appropriate. If leaning is needed below three thousand feet density altitude then the mixture setup might need some attention.

A&P checked out the airplane. Put new contacts in the right mag and replaced the plugs. I’m ready for the nice WX tomorrow!

Back