NA Job interview question NA

It's a good question. They are looking for an answer about what type of environment you thrive in. You're interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you.

They are giving you a chance to avoid misery in the workplace.

Pretty simple, this job, at least for the foreseeable future.

I work in a fairly blue collar industry where my current boss came up through the ranks rather than being groomed for the type of position going through a number of companies so most likely read a book on interviewing.

I agree a great deal with @steingar "Keep them talking" People LOVE to talk. If they are talking, they are getting a nice internal, warm fuzzy, dose of sarotonin.
I am big on asking interviewers "Walk me through your process starting with an issue through to completion"

Nod a lot and go. "That's great". That shiny new yacht is practically yours.

"What's my dream job?"
Any position where I am able to affect change within an organization.
I strive to eliminate ineffeciences in an organization especially ones that exist because "This is how its always been done".
Ideally I would be in a leadership role where I can help drive solutions by utilizing the strengths of the different team members.

@SixPapaCharlie forgot synergies. Every good ******** answer needs to include synergy.

And of course, before spewing the BS you need to say "That's an excellent question." <-- RTOT

My boss asked me "what kind of animal would you be if you could choose?"
I said Eagle. He thought I was showing I am a focused, type A Guy.

Now had he followed up with "and tell my why" He would have been disappointed by my response "I love to fly".

Well, beats saying you like crapping on freshly washed cars......

And other gems like this one:

If you were an (animal, vehicle, piece of living room furniture, etc.) what would you be and why?

At which point I thank them for the opportunity to chat with them, and leave. What I want to say is "Thanks for wasting my time and effort" but I don't. Parents always taught me to be polite, dress better than the customer, and pay cash.

My response in my head is always "And just how the $%&^*&^ would a (animal, vehicle, piece of living room furniture, etc.) fix your damn databases?" but yeah, I try to take Murphy's approach with that. Came up pretty regularly when I was consulting. I really would ask them "Do you want me to fix your problems or play Barbara Walters games?"

What kind of jobs are you guys getting all these HR nightmare questions from? They read like an Onion article about corporate america hiring practices.
I had a magic resume that had a 100% return rate. Everyone who saw it wanted to interview me. One company flew me first class to Mi, even though they really didn't have an opening. Another put me on a train to Albany, even though they really didn't have an opening. I later heard through the grapevine that both wanted to hire me, but higher ups nixed it, since there really weren't openings.

It was the company in Albany where I got he winner questions, and we laughed off the responses. I had good interactions everywhere I interviewed, though I'm glad I went academic.

I've been asked this question. I answered with, "A position that allows me to utilize my skills to drive stategic agility, business process transformation while achieving cost efficacy." So far, that hasn't landed me a job.

My last job interview was awkward. All day meetings with the CEO, CIO, CFO, supposed “direct reports”... then a final meeting where they gave me a large table of data in Excel and wanted me to perform a pivot table analysis and present results based upon conditions (and conditional formatting) while they watched. i did this without problem, provided the results, then withdrew myself from candidacy for the role. If they’re that pedantic about my Excel skills, then they’re not looking for a transformational leader, but a number crunching analyst. I found out later from the recruiter that was exactly what happened as the “direct reports” that the role would lead never materialized.

"Thank you for asking that question".

I've found on most interviews that the interviewer want's to talk more than listen, it used to make me chuckle.

Edit: Oh, and there are stupid questions.

easy answer here... do what a political pundit would do... have a diatribe of talking points ready...when they ask the question, don't answer it, just spew your BS and watch as your interviewer nods, then begins to shake his head in disbelief...

Probably won't get the job, but you had some fun, right?

@SixPapaCharlie forgot synergies. Every good ******** answer needs to include synergy.

And of course, before spewing the BS you need to say "That's an excellent question." <-- RTOT
I would throw out Radar O'Reilly trying-to-impress comments like "That's highly significant." and "Ahhhh....Bach."

A good interviewer listens. Most folks who hire really aren't very good listeners.

My favorite interview question was.......and it was the only question asked.

Wait for it.......

"Do you really want to work here..???"

I swear I was really asked that by a 135 company.

Did they hire you?

They hired everyone that walked, crawled or stumbled in the door. That should have been my first warning.

Asking if I really wanted to work here should have been the 14th or 23rd warning.....:lol::lol::lol:

But it was my first pt 135 job, so I took it.

"What is your biggest weakness?"
Me - Honesty
Interviewer - I don't think honesty is a weakness.
Me - Yea, well I don't care what you think.

One of the interviewers at a job was a former boss. Someone would ask me a question about my previous job, I would answer and he would add details to my answer. He did a better job of answering their questions than I did! Got the job.

"What's your greatest weakness?"

"I don't deal with interviewers very well."

"You're doing nicely with me..."

"You're probably a schmuck."

I was once asked "What's your greatest weakness?"
Without skipping a beat, I straight deadpan said "Passing the drug test is near the top of that list."

Not so much as a chuckle from interviewer.

Without skipping a beat, I straight deadpan said "Passing the drug test is near the top of that list."

Yeah, some of them don't get humor. Just like the poly operators when you need a high-level government clearance.

The last time I was asked what my greatest weakness was I answered, “A cute 4’11” brunette I married a couple of decades back. That weakness has cost me a small fortune so far.”

I did that once when interviewing with the CEO for a position as a direct report. He liked my ambition and hired me.

Good on both of you. Some of the insecure types will weasel away from any threat. He was looking for strength and you gave him some.

I've answered the dream job question before. I said "Treasure hunter" and we proceeded to chat about it. Sort of like exploring and playing the lottery at the same time, it's fun to dig around and find things that can be valuable, blah blah blah, usually a lot of work before any payoff.
He seemed a little dis-interested in the answer, but when I said "I try to use that concept everyday to find solutions to problems" he smiled and started writing.
Then I said, "It's also sort of like interviewing"...and we both laughed. The rest of the interview went great.
Didn't get the job though... a cute young girl with a chemistry degree did.

I mentioned later on in passing that he was doing a little treasure hunting himself, which got a hearty chuckle.

good luck @exncsurfer
hang in there

My applicant filter is very simple. I look for people that exceed the odds. If I look at them and suspect they may outrun me and take my job, I hire them. That may mean that they have an outstanding academic record or it may mean they came from nothing and are willing to run harder than anyone around them to get ahead in life.

I look for those type of people because that’s what our organization is. We are a VC startup that has exceeded the odds by running harder than anyone else in the business. We get **** shipped before our competitors can even schedule a meeting to talk about it.

I need them to have some skills but really don’t care that much. Our work is very niche and you’d never find someone with the skill set. Loyalty is also important to me. Someone with a history of a year or two max at each job is of no interest to me.

I hired three software engineers last year and pay them significantly better than anyone else in the region would pay software engineers. None of them were software engineers previously. Their life has changed, their families suddenly have doors opening, its spectacular.

One of them was a preschool teacher. The other one was a body piercer at the tatto parlor down the street, complete with all the piercings you could imagine at the interview. Another was a guy that was stuck doing QA work for a local organization that couldn’t see his potential. They make for the best damn engineering team I have ever worked with in my life. I feel sorry for those that have to compete against us.

There is no magic answer for the best way to get a job like the college professors like to say. There is no such thing as a magic resume that every employer would like (biggest bunch of ******** I’ve ever heard). The truth is - every organization is different. What impresses at one place will disappoint at another.

Be true to yourself and if you get rejected that’s a good thing. An organization that rejects you is not an organization that you are compatible with and you would never be happy there. Don’t take it personal and keep hunting. Do not change who you are.

The best jobs are the jobs that nobody was offering and you don’t need a resume to do it. I emailed the CEO of the company I work for now and told him what I could do for him. I knew what his struggles were before I wrote that email and I knew I could solve them. That lead to a phone call and a flight to New York. Took me about a week to create my own job. He never dreamed he’d have an engineering office in Nebraska before he read that email (NYC based company).

Last edited:
My applicant filter is very simple. I look for people that exceed the odds. If I look at them and suspect they may outrun me and take my job, I hire them. That may mean that they have an outstanding academic record or it may mean they came from nothing and are willing to run harder than anyone around them to get ahead in life.

I look for those type of people because that’s what our organization is. We are a VC startup that has exceeded the odds by running harder than anyone else in the business. We get **** shipped before our competitors can even schedule a meeting to talk about it.

I need them to have some skills but really don’t care that much. Our work is very niche and you’d never find someone with the skill set. Loyalty is also important to me. Someone with a history of a year or two max at each job is of no interest to me.

I hired three software engineers last year and pay them significantly better than anyone else in the region would pay software engineers. None of them were software engineers previously. Their life has changed, their families suddenly have doors opening, its spectacular.

One of them was a preschool teacher. The other one was a body piercer at the tatto parlor down the street, complete with all the piercings you could imagine at the interview. Another was a guy that was stuck doing QA work for a local organization that couldn’t see his potential. They make for the best damn engineering team I have ever worked with in my life. I feel sorry for those that have to compete against us.

There is no magic answer for the best way to get a job like the college professors like to say. There is no such thing as a magic resume that every employer would like (biggest bunch of ******** I’ve ever heard). The truth is - every organization is different. What impresses at one place will disappoint at another.

Be true to yourself and if you get rejected that’s a good thing. An organization that rejects you is not an organization that you are compatible with and you would never be happy there. Don’t take it personal and keep hunting. Do not change who you are.

The best jobs are the jobs that nobody was offering and you don’t need a resume to do it. I emailed the CEO of the company I work for now and told him what I could do for him. I knew what his struggles were before I wrote that email and I knew I could solve them. That lead to a phone call and a flight to New York. Took me about a week to create my own job. He never dreamed he’d have an engineering office in Nebraska before he read that email (NYC based company).
Couldn't agree more (although the make your own job thing is much harder to do than most make it seem - I have not yet succeed despite my efforts). I approach every interview as a two way interview. I am just as likely to say no to an employer as they are to say no to me. If it isn't a great fit, why force it? Even if you get the job, you won't be happy after the honeymoon period and that will be evident in your performance.

I like to ask the hiring manager questions about their management style. How they measure success and how they measure failure. Since I only go for management positions myself, I ask if they allow me to manage my team without their interference and whether I have hire and fire responsibilities. I ask about the corporate culture and whether it's a serious place to work or if there is fun and opportunity to build morale.

I think that is why I get most employers to offer me a job despite me saying no - they want someone who is self aware enough to realize that proper fit is just as important as anything else in the selection of an employer.

We are a VC startup that has exceeded the odds by running harder than anyone else in the business. We get **** shipped before our competitors can even schedule a meeting to talk about it.

Ahhh... the beauty of being small and nimble. Gotta love it... able to pivot on a dime. I'm keeping a close eye on a couple of my overly bloated VC funded competitors, and am just shaking my head in amazement as they rapidly burn through their dough. What's funny to me is all of the negative comments they both receive on GlassDoor from all their current and former employees, and then watching the CEO's of each company trying to whitewash those comments with lame excuses. For sh*t's and giggles I tested their CRM systems the other day and couldn't believe what I was hearing or seeing.

I have nothing to worry about! :cool:

Couldn't agree more (although the make your own job thing is much harder to do than most make it seem - I have not yet succeed despite my efforts).
It’s definitely hard to do with some organizations. I suspect I had an easier time of it since they were a nimble and flexible startup with about 10 people. Knocking on 40 now.

Jesse makes some outstanding points. I want to amplify on a couple of them (as one who has done hiring, as another person who mentors startups/early stage companies through early growth stages and one who has coached folks trying to get hired).

First - a number of great employers take the position that they want to hire people who are smart and motivated - they can teach them the skills they need, but if there is no ability or desire to learn & perform, the employee will never work out.

Second - companies hire folks to solve problem they have (just as a start-up produces a product that will solve a problem that the folks who will buy it have). It is incumbent on you, the one being hired, to understand the problem and tell them how you can solve it. Just saying "I've been an engineer who has worked in x" doesn't tell them how you'll solve their problem with production line efficiency (as an example).... or how you'll help them make more sales. You have to do due diligence before the interview, ask questions that let 'em know you can understand the problem, and then tell them specifically how you can solve it for them. Sometimes the companies don't know what they need - even better if you can define that for them.

(I coached recently had two companies that indicated they wanted her. The first one never could find the time to make a decision - it seemed like they needed her -or someone in the role- because the were too busy to even make a hire. The second one came back with an offer well above what they said they could pay, and it's turned out to be a really great environment.)

Third - two times now I've written the job description for my role at larger companies. And I've done several startups (where you define your job role every day). They realized they needed someone to do exactly what I was recommending - and I got the job. To do this, you need good insight and market research on the company, and really want to have some internal contacts that can help you both understand the company issues and can be an internal advocate for you. And Jesse did it exactly right as he describes in his last paragraph. You don't necessarily need a resume for that (though in larger companies the HR folks will want one because all kinds of EEO and legal requirements come into play).

(by the way, in the government contracting world doing that as a BD exercise with the agency that will be contracting is called "shaping the RFP").

Fourth - bad fits apply both ways, and it's a blessing to know early about fit issues. They don't want you? Fine. You don't want them because something doesn't ring true? Great. You've dodged a bullet. It can get really ugly when the hiring manager wants somebody and either HR or upper management doesn't.

Finally, I call the applicant tracking systems as "employment prevention systems". They are there to check boxes, ensure compliance with laws, and make it hard to get hired. The likelihood of even getting through one of those systems is virtually zero if you apply "blind". With larger companies, you'll probably have to fill out that sort of thing, but it is far better to do it after you have contacts in the company.

Just my $0.02. YMMV.

Back