Wanted: Aircraft Twin

Throw 'em a lowball offer, and find a couple of used engines and props to put on there, do as much of the work yourself as you can, and you might be able to get a pretty decent plane for a pretty reasonable price!

Whenever I read “do the work yourself” I think, “Yeah, I do NOT have time for that and probably won’t until I’m retired.” LOL.

Throw 'em a lowball offer, and find a couple of used engines and props to put on there, do as much of the work yourself as you can, and you might be able to get a pretty decent plane for a pretty reasonable price!

Bad idea on so many levels...

Bad idea on so many levels...

LOL. He’s sleep deprived. The kiddo has diaper rash issues according to his posts elsewhere. Heheh. :) :) :)

Ain’t nobody got time to rebuild dead twins really. Sad but true.

Keeping the flying ones alive looks like a full time job for my instructor/AI who wrenches on his. He’s always working on it when it’s not flying.

These airplanes were built in a time when mechanics were plentiful and cheap. Unfortunately.

I’d LOVE to buy a twin. Really love it. But not a clapped out one that needs many many man-days of work to make it flyable. They’re down enough as it is with decently maintained ones.

I’ve said it before, we’re all maintaining the equivalent of classic cars. About the same tech level, too. And maintainability levels.

If ya ain’t ready to fly and maintain a 1969 Chevelle as a daily driver or pay someone to do it, you ain’t ready to own a 70s airplane. It’s just the way the “budget” end of GA is now.

If you have the means to buy a new Cirrus or one of the brandy new twins, by all means... do! I don’t. So I’m flying my parent’s generation’s aerial vehicles.

We’ll run out of them eventually, but for the moment it’s good... if you buy one that was maintained properly. Buying someone’s hooptie they didn’t maintain and knew they’d take the price hit on, is a total nightmare in the making.

That’s my opinion anyway. Finding a non-hooptie twin is a lot harder than finding a single. It’s a bummer but just how it goes in 2018.

These airplanes are at least as old as I am, and I’ve got a few parts that are wearing out and can’t find replacements for them, too. Hahaha.

tell me about it. i may need to delay the plane a year or two as the house and now cars are all giving me fits. not sure i should add another high time investment "possession" until i get a few ducks shot

i think if you live 5 minutes from the hangar, or at a private airstrip, fiddling with your own can make some sense. otherwise, i think you have to consider basing a little further out where there's a good and affordable mechanic that can help get it dialed in, and then consider a move to the expensive city airport once you've got it mostly sorted

Back