The what configuration can a G5 be your backup unit?

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
I see a lot of people mentioning going vacuumless by installing a G5 unit. Under what circumstances and with what components is this considered acceptable?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

if your AI is driving your AP - then you are out of luck, unless you are also installing GFC 500
the install manual on G website has the acceptable combinations

I see a lot of people mentioning going vacuumless by installing a G5 unit. Under what circumstances and with what components is this considered acceptable?

Its pretty clear in the limitations section of the installation manual.

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01112-10_11.pdf

Even tho that manual doesn't provide specific instructions or requirements to remove the vacuum system, it gives you the data to replace the existing vacuum gyros with electronic units in a huge range of aircraft. If there are no remaining vacuum powered appliances no need for the vacuum system.

if your AI is driving your AP - then you are out of luck, unless you are also installing GFC 500

Trio and trutrak do not need a gyro, therefore would work fine with dual G5s, albeit won't have every function the GFC500 would.

I have a g500 and a g750 driving my AP.

Then what is your vacuum system running? A back-up AI?

That would be my guess, which invalidates pretty much everything I mentioned already. That's review the G500 requirements and field approval territory.

The G500 may or may not require a backup powered by an alternate power source.

Then what is your vacuum system running? A back-up AI?
Yes my backup AI is the only thing running off my vacuum. I have 3 traditional instruments left in the plane; AI, Altimeter, and ASI. Clearly however the G500 does all of this.

What options are availibke as a suitable backup system. I know Aspen does have one. Is or will the G5 go that way.

That would be my guess, which invalidates pretty much everything I mentioned already. That's review the G500 requirements and field approval territory.

The G500 may or may not require a backup powered by an alternate power source.

A friend of mine owns a new(er) Archer with a factory installed G500 and it has an electric backup attitude indicator and no vacuum system. Judging by that installation I'm guessing that there is no requirement for a backup with an alternate power source but I've honestly never looked at the requirements.

It should be noted that the backup AI has a backup battery built into it.

as far as i know G5 is not certificated to be backup for another instrument. field approval would be the way to go

Back