What Upgrades for 2018

What upgrades are on your agenda for 2018 (mult choices allowed)

• Engine Overhaul

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Paint Job

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Interior

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Avionics (GPS, ADS-B, Audio Panel, etc)

Votes: 24 43.6%
  • Glass Panel (Full or Partial)

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Autopilot

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Engine Monitor

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Mechanical or Maintenance

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Lighting

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Speed Mods

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters
Just upgraded my audio panel. We found tons of unused wiring, some of it automotive and some was still in use such as the keep alive wiring. Installed new shielded wire on everything new and a lot of existing was replaced. Hooked up marker beacon with new RG-400 coax cable, pre-wired existing Garmin antenna with RG-400 for G5 install later in the year. New LED beacon should arrive today or tomorrow. Getting new side panels ready for leather upholstery installation, and lastly, getting new aerospace logic fuel gauge and Cies senders. After that, I just want to fly it so I'll worry about the ADS-B transponder next year.

2017:
Removed KX155, GTX327, KLN89B, DRE intercom, KN64, KR87, KMA24, Argus 7000/CE, and a whole bunch of associated "stuff".
Moved KX165, HSI slaving control, etc.
Installed GMA350c, GTN750, GTX345, FlightStream510.

2018: Recover from spending all that money in late 2017! Maybe some more LED lights (did taxi and landing already).

2019: G500 TXi. Depending on certification status, maybe a GFC500 and a G5 (as a backup to the G500 TXi). Remove entire vacuum system.

My next will be Dual G5's to remove the vacuum system!
Is the dual G5 capable of that? I know that may be a dumb question. I have a g500, g750, g650 set up already, but I have an old steam attitude, altimeter, ASI, with a King HSI as a 3rd backup. It would be great to remove all that and have an independent, battery backup system in addition. Especially since I did lose power and all my avionics about 1 year ago. Do not want to repeat that. Would likely gain me 10 to 15 lbs in useful load in addition.

What are the install costs on the G5 systems. They seem fairly self contained and are advertise as virtually swap out compatibility, expect if you add the GPS antenna and magnetometer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Is the dual G5 capable of that? I know that may be a dumb question. I have a g500, g750, g650 set up already, but I have an old steam attitude, altimeter, ASI, with a King HSI as a 3rd backup. It would be great to remove all that and have an independent, battery backup system in addition. Especially since I did lose power and all my avionics about 1 year ago. Do not want to repeat that. Would likely gain me 10 to 15 lbs in useful load in addition.

What are the install costs on the G5 systems. They seem fairly self contained and are advertise as virtually swap out compatibility, expect if you add the GPS antenna and magnetometer.

EDIT: I don't think G5 is certificated as a backup instrument.

unless you AI or TC is driving your AP, Yes. install - I paid for 35 hrs, took more than that in reality.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...gress-previously-opinions-on-my-panel.108035/
No everything in my plane is driven by a G500 with a G750 as the main GPS ( there is a 650 backup). They run an old King 150 two axis autopilot with altitude hold, heading, and I can run coupled approaches. They are interfaced to the new digital system via a digital to analog converter (I forget the part number).

rt. what i meant was one G5 or 2, cant be backup for a G500 primary.. or thats what my avoinics guy told me

So what prevents you installing the G5s as primary AI,HSI, and G500 as primary for AS,VS,Alt,T&B?
You could also install a G5 for situation awareness only

So what prevents you installing the G5s as primary AI,HSI, and G500 as primary for AS,VS,Alt,T&B?
You could also install a G5 for situation awareness only
that's an interesting way to think about it ... STC might not allow it though. if installing for situational awareness only... once you probably install the experimental version and save the rest for 100LL :p

What are the 100% approved upgrade backup systems availible? Is the Aspen the only one?

What are the 100% approved upgrade backup systems availible? Is the Aspen the only one?

You're gonna get a lot better answers by talking to a dealer who is familiar with the installation requirements of the G500 system and the limitation section of that STC, assuming it was even installed per the STC. The G500 installation data is proprietary and only a Garmin dealer will have it.

My guess is you need an approved system, either STC or field approved, using equipment such as the RC Allen 2610 with the RC Allen ESP backup battery, Garmin G5 with backup battery, or Sandia SAI 340 and a TCW backup battery or similar.

I've never installed a G500 or even glanced the limitations section of the installation manual. I doubt anyone else on this forum has either. But whatever you do with the vacuum power gyro should be compatible with the G500 STC limitations

Last edited:
You're gonna get a lot better answers by talking to a dealer who is familiar with the installation requirements of the G500 system and the limitation section of that STC, assuming it was even installed per the STC. The G500 installation data is proprietary and only a Garmin dealer will have it.

My guess is you need an approved system, either STC or field approved, using equipment such as the RC Allen 2610 with the RC Allen ESP backup battery, Garmin G5 with backup battery, or Sandia SAI 340 and a TCW backup battery or similar.

I've never installed a G500 or even glanced the limitations section of the installation manual. I doubt anyone else on this forum has either. But whatever you do with the vacuum power gyro should be compatible with the G500 STC limitations
I think I have the issue figured out. The AI is approved as a standby system but the ASI and Altitude while displayed are not approved as primary intraments. Therefor it is not a stand alone backup. It can be part of a standby system but you need other approved instruments for altitude and speed. It will allow you to get rid of your vacuum system because for a glass panel plane no other instruments other the backup AI use the vacuum. Or this is my best guess.

So for a backup system you can have a G5, VSI, and Altimiter but can't just have a G5.

I think I have the issue figured out. The AI is approved as a standby system but the ASI and Altitude while displayed are not approved as primary intraments. Therefor it is not a stand alone backup. It can be part of a standby system but you need other approved instruments for altitude and speed. It will allow you to get rid of your vacuum system because for a glass panel plane no other instruments other the backup AI use the vacuum. Or this is my best guess.

So for a backup system you can have a G5, VSI, and Altimiter but can't just have a G5.

The G5 is also not approved as a backup AI. Yes, it's approved as primary but not backup so it's legal to use as your *only* AI, but cannot be used as a backup AI! This is due to the FAA changing the TSO for primary instruments somewhat to accommodate new technology like the G5 that's clearly more reliable than the vacuum indicators it replaces, but the TSO for backup instruments is different and has not yet been updated.

Ah, government! :rofl:

The G5 is also not approved as a backup AI. Yes, it's approved as primary but not backup so it's legal to use as your *only* AI, but cannot be used as a backup AI! This is due to the FAA changing the TSO for primary instruments somewhat to accommodate new technology like the G5 that's clearly more reliable than the vacuum indicators it replaces, but the TSO for backup instruments is different and has not yet been updated.

Ah, government! :rofl:
The only approved full backups I have found are the Aspen, the Sai-340 quattro plus and the L3 ESI- 500.

The only approved full backups I have found are the Aspen, the Sai-340 quattro plus and the L3 ESI- 500.

And I think the SAI-340 is unavailable right now because of some sort of bug.

Mid-Continent also makes one, the MD302 SAM.

And I think the SAI-340 is unavailable right now because of some sort of bug.

Mid-Continent also makes one, the MD302 SAM.
Honestly th L3 with the G5 HSI looks like a really nice backup setup to me. Really wish Garmin would go the rest of the way with the G5 and get it approved as a full backup unit including ASI, and altitude. Not sure what modifications would be needed to be considered primary for ASI and Altitude however.

I saw the final system also, but the double screen take up a fair amount more panel space. And the L3 with the G5 (if SAI is currently not doable) looks like the most economical to get all that functionality.

In the engine bay I'll replace the hoses~$800
In the panel I'll replace the KMA 124 with a PMA 4000 on the bottom of the stack ~$1k.
Next a used KX-155 ~$1k
I'll move the mode C transponder and GX50 GPS above that.
I'll remove the KX170 and MX170 and one KI 209
The three holes next to the stack will be the current KI 209 connected to the KX 155 with a FL760 ~$1k below that and a TruTrax~$5k below that.
So spending ~$9k on parts and doing most for the work with my A&P and selling a few things I may get away for under $15k.
The Skybeacon or the GDL 82 ADS-B out solution may fit into the mix. I have Stratux ADS-B in.

When it's done I'll make an aluminum cubby hole at the top of the stack and mount a 6x9 tablet to the front. I'll have 4 USB outlets and the audio in for the PMA 4000 in the cubby hole.

More realistically just got a quote for doing three things at annual.

1. Replace ELT. Swapping a ACK e01 for the more current e04. Is supposed to be a drop in replacement, but you can also connect to the GPS.
2. Reiff engine block heater thinking the Turbo version. Live in NJ not super cold and the plane is hangered.
3. Replace the old wing tip nav lights with LED's. The Whelen Orion series 600's. More or less drop in replacement.

Plan in doing these things at the annual in a few weeks. Does anyone know what is a reasonable amount of instalation time to be charged for these items at annual?

I did also get a quote to install either a JPI EDM 830 or a JPI EDM 900. Was surprised by the final coat price difference between the two when the main difference on paper is the 900 is a primary replacement. People that have done this, again what should be the rough number of hours for a shop to install?

Thanks everyone.

You may want to hold off on the wingtip nav lights until the Skybeacon ADS-B comes out. Could save you some $.

You may want to hold off on the wingtip nav lights until the Skybeacon ADS-B comes out. Could save you some $.
Already ads b complainant. But thanks for the heads up.

I'm just doing the G5 HSI this year, unless something changes with my finances. Put off too many needed house upgrades for the sake of my airplane... LOL.

I'm just doing the G5 HSI this year, unless something changes with my finances. Put off too many needed house upgrades for the sake of my airplane... LOL.
I may be joining you on this. The GS on my HSI is starting to stick...needs a couple taps to drop. A year ago I spent 1K on the stupid thing (G5 HSI wasn't available at the time).

I'm upgrading my engine monitor (JPI EDM-700) with fuel flow. After my original EDM-700's display started to fade, I'm currently flying with a loaner of the same model that is fuel-flow ready, but needs a sender and interfacing to be workable. Was trying to get on the schedule to get that done when my gear problem surfaced.

At the same time, I'm looking into my options for NextGen-compatible ADS-B Out. I already have a GDL-90 which, thanks to the FAA's bait and switch :mad:, is not NextGen-compatible. At my avionics tech's suggestion, I'm thinking about adding the GDL-82, keeping the GDL-90 for ADS-B In. Not sure whether that combo is technically workable; needs more research.

I may be joining you on this. The GS on my HSI is starting to stick...needs a couple taps to drop. A year ago I spent 1K on the stupid thing (G5 HSI wasn't available at the time).

Yep, costs a mint to keep those mechanical HSIs running. Their end is near... it no longer makes sense to buy one, and they'll be phased out almost completely over the next 5-10 years, I reckon. Progress!

I'm upgrading my engine monitor (JPI EDM-700) with fuel flow. After my original EDM-700's display started to fade, I'm currently flying with a loaner of the same model that is fuel-flow ready, but needs a sender and interfacing to be workable. Was trying to get on the schedule to get that done when my gear problem surfaced.

At the same time, I'm looking into my options for NextGen-compatible ADS-B Out. I already have a GDL-90 which, thanks to the FAA's bait and switch :mad:, is not NextGen-compatible. At my avionics tech's suggestion, I'm thinking about adding the GDL-82, keeping the GDL-90 for ADS-B In. Not sure whether that combo is technically workable; needs more research.

I am in the same boat with GDL 90. Keeping an eye on sky beacon for out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in the same boat with GDL 90. Keeping an eye on sky beacon for out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Feeling lucky to have the GDL 88.

Feeling lucky to have the GDL 88.

Actually my situation is even more complex. I have SL 70 , that is no longer repaired. Knowing my luck, it would crap out a week after I put ADSB out that needs a working transponder, which means another 2.5 k for that, now the whole package is getting closer to a 345

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back