Anyone have a good plane gun?

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
Hey guys

Just thinking about a good firearm to live in the plane.

Option 1
Remington 870 marine magnum,
Staggered 12G magnum buck and slugs
Speed feed rear stock with bird shot stored on one side for bagging something I might eat, and Orion flares on the other side
Stored in a soft floating foam case.

3515423_01_remington_870_marine_magnum_wi_640.jpg

Option 2
Same internal load, but in a benelli m4 collapsible stock semi auto
It would store shorter with the stock and have a better fire rate, but I couldn't do the speed feed side stor for bird and flare rounds
foto-m4-telescopic-stock-12_1024x1024.png

HK .45 is my plane gun. I don’t think you can go wrong with either of your options.

Need to know the situation you’re preparing for. Forced landing in grizzly country? No grizzlies but you might need to shoot some food? Refueling at a 3rd world airport? Fleeing from a jealous husband?

Like the poem says,
There ain’t many problems a man can’t fix,
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty-ought-six.

Need to know the situation you’re preparing for. Forced landing in grizzly country? No grizzlies but you might need to shoot some food? Refueling at a 3rd world airport? Fleeing from a jealous husband?

Like the poem says,
There ain’t many problems a man can’t fix,
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty-ought-six.

True

Basically a backcountry plane, lots of float plane stuff, bears and big cats, maybe shoot something for food if things really went sideways, crackheads not so much.

Normally if I'm camping out I'll bring a AR or something for fun plinking, this would just be a flying over the middle of nowhere and I have to put it down in some lake or something because of something acting up.

That looks like a whole lot of ouch

Love me some Benelli!

Depending on where I’m flying maybe my KelTec Sub-2000. Folds up small enough to fit in my motorcycle saddlebag. Takes Glock 22 mags.

I’ve got a Savage over/under with the ‘over’ being 22Hornet and the ‘under’ being 20 ga. That wouldn’t be bad. It was my Dad’s gun. I’d rather do a 223 / 12ga combo. That’d be a decent backcountry combo.

Last edited:
For me it would be a basic scoped .22 semi auto rifle. A lotta ammo, a lotta food. We used to shoot bunny rabbits in the field in Germany using cleaning rod sections and blank rounds in our '16's. You basically impale them to a tree, then clean them and cook them over an open fire. Bring spices.

If I ever get around to getting my CCW I'm probably going to go with something really compact, probably one of the really small single-stack 9mm or .38 models. My thinking is if you're carrying to deal with threats of the human variety you want it on your person and if it's on your person it needs to be easily hidden and comfortable or it will end up not on your person and defeat the purpose.

If I'm flying over somewhere that ditching might become a wilderness survival situation I'd probably just throw in my SKS or maybe my 357 revolver. I figure you want something simple and reliable in those situations over anything fancy.

19E08CA0-30C8-4AE8-9A8D-D96B40D882EE.jpeg

A shotgun is the best way to go because of the huge variety in loads you could carry. But, I’d look at doing something like this. It’s an all weather Henry in .357 mag. I think it makes a good choice for medium size game. I’m not a fan of the smaller caliber, high velocity options like 223.

If I ever get around to getting my CCW I'm probably going to go with something really compact, probably one of the really small single-stack 9mm or .38 models. My thinking is if you're carrying to deal with threats of the human variety you want it on your person and if it's on your person it needs to be easily hidden and comfortable or it will end up not on your person and defeat the purpose.

If I'm flying over somewhere that ditching might become a wilderness survival situation I'd probably just throw in my SKS or maybe my 357 revolver. I figure you want something simple and reliable in those situations over anything fancy.

I love me some pistols, and I used to shoot competitive IPSC back in the day, but in a survival situation, a handgun is out for me. I want range and accuracy.

Any of the big caliber Henry’s would be my choice. Reliable, made in the USA, good pricing. The survival kit is a nice backup. Henryusa.com

Cheers

I love me some pistols, and I used to shoot competitive IPSC back in the day, but in a survival situation, a handgun is out for me. I want range and accuracy.

Agree, I'm definitely more of a rifle person. I can shoot handguns and do OK but I've always been more comfortable with a rifle. The SKS isn't the most accurate thing in the world but it's decent, compact, and has a good deal of stopping power. Russian design so it can be abused and still function... don't know if it's the best option out there but probably the best one in my safe.

8B67C34F-0DDA-44D2-BC50-DE1A530FB4FE.jpeg Marlin 1895 Guide Gun. Stainless, laminated stock, big loop, Wild West trigger, bear proof ejector...easy to carry and packs a 45-70 punch. But in truth I usually carry my S&W 500 magnum in a chest holster.

One of the big ones for me is being able to shoot a flair, which is a 12G arrangement, despite the M4 being better tactical wise, think that 870 marine mag might be better on a chit goes down aspect.

One of the big ones for me is being able to shoot a flair, which is a 12G arrangement, despite the M4 being better tactical wise, think that 870 marine mag might be better on a chit goes down aspect.

Wouldn't a standard plastic flare gun coupled with the survival rifle/pistol of your choice be a lighter option? Unless you really like bird hunts.

I suck with a shotgun.

I think the 870 is your best choice, but I’d augment it with a serious handgun as a backup and also in case you’re unable to use the shotgun due to an injury (hard to shoot a 12ga pump with a dislocated shoulder or a broken wrist). Probably a .44mag. Get a few snake shot rounds for the revolver just in case.

45 magnum. Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on where you plan to fly and what you'll use it for. .22LR is a nice plinker, and you can carry plenty of ammo without much weight penalty. But if flying to sketchy areas, a Remington 870 is nice and not too spendy. But I prefer a handgun since anything that would require it would be fairly close. My choices are (all in .45 ACP) are the Springfield XDs (3.3"), Glock 30s, or a 1911 Colt Commander.

. . . Normally if I'm camping out I'll bring a AR or something for fun plinking, this would just be a flying over the middle of nowhere and I have to put it down in some lake or something because of something acting up . . .

If you’re in the middle of the lake, might I suggest a fishing pole? Maybe a stick or two of dynamite if you want to go all Crocodile Dundee on your food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of options in larger calibers and the Savage combos aren't bad (always wanted one of those) but for a .22 plinker I like the Marlin Papoose... takedown, floating case, can take a scope. And while it might not be the weapon of choice, remember that a world record bear was taken in 1953 by a woman with a .22...

What problem are you trying to solve?

Your daily carry sidearm, plus a flare gun for the emergency kit, plus a youth 22 with a handful of ammo for food. Not sexy or cool, but checks all the boxes. Sidearm would always be with you, flaregun would hopefully never come out to be used, and 22 can be played with or put to work.

Bears? If you gotta hike or pee, I’d rather lug around a big can of bear spray and my sidearm than a PITA to carry & maneuver shotgun ( both would actually go on my belt). I doubt I’d bother to pull a shotgun out of the plane cuz it’s an inconvenience and probably get mauled as a result.

Anyone dealing with a border crossing is pretty much limited to a long gun. My favorite is a short 20 gauge.
Those thinking a .44 pistol will deter a big grizzly is wrong. only thing it is going to do is PO the bear so he'll kill you quick. Now a 12 gauge slug gun is another matter, close quarters pistols don't get it. Ask any Alaskan outfitter see what they advise you carry.

99% of the bears you will meet are more scared of you than you of them. the other 1% is some one was stupid enough to get between mama and her cub. or they had a salmon the bear wanted.
They really don't see you as food. But your back pack, mm good.
Best advice I can give is, If you are going to carry, in your aircraft keep it out of site.
Airport don't like them, and ask a lot of question, the answers of which you won't have.

Last edited:
I really don't fly in bear country all that much but I fly with a Sig 226 pistol all the time.

Anyone dealing with a border crossing is pretty much limited to a long gun. My favorite is a short 20 gauge.
Those thinking a .44 pistol will deter a big grizzly is wrong. only thing it is going to do is PO the bear so he'll kill you quick. Now a 12 gauge slug gun is another matter, close quarters pistols don't get it. Ask any Alaskan outfitter see what they advise you carry.

99% of the bears you will meet are more scared of you than you of them. the other 1% is some one was stupid enough to get between mama and her cub. or they had a salmon the bear wanted.
They really don't see you as food. But your back pack, mm good.
Best advice I can give is, If you are going to carry, in your aircraft keep it out of site.
Airport don't like them, and ask a lot of question, the answers of which you won't have.
Agreed. I went moose hunting in 1989. A friend gave me an article addressing bear protection that stated at that time no one had ever shot a charging grizzly bear with a handgun and survived. All of the guides carried lever action 30/30’s, stated all they need is enough gun to penetrate the skull on a brain shot. They wanted short fast brush guns and each of them had the experience with charging bears. Had another friend hunting bears and tried to kill one with a 44 mag, claimed the bullet ricocheted off the front of a large black bears skull. Personally I think the 3” mag shotgun has the most appeal with several potential applications in an emergency situation.

What gun an Alaskan hunter or guide carries depends on the situation. In bear country? There’s a reason a Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun is called what it is. Way better than any shotgun. But most guides also serve as backup gunners so they probably have a scoped 338 or 375. Big power with better range. For packing or for walking in the brush? A short 45-70 lever gun with open sights is a better choice than a scoped long gun. A big pistol in a chest holster is even better for crawling through brush and over cliffs with 125# on your back. Carry a heavy load on uneven terrain and try to shoulder a long gun. You’re in serious trouble if you need to defend yourself quickly. I have a 44 mag. I used to carry it but when 500 mags came out? My 44 hasn’t seen the light of day since. With my preferred hard cast bullets my 500 mag handgun has similar muzzle energy as a 12 ga or 45-70. For a guy carrying a meat pack or in waders walking a river with a fly rod? A hand cannon is a good tool.

My EDC is a Springfield XD-9 subcompact. If I were to throw a few more things in a plane I'd go with my Beretta FP1201 (semi-auto 12ga using the reliable Benelli gas mechanism) and my Beretta CX-4 Storm chambered for 9mm.

Back