Another crash in San Diego, ugh. SR22T this time

It looks like the parachute straps deployed . . . I wonder if the charge went off after impact and he never actually "pulled the red handle". No matter, sad situation.

Looks like there was a lot of energy in that crash. The fuselage is shattered well into mid-cabin.

Condolences to the family.

It looks like the parachute straps deployed . . . I wonder if the charge went off after impact and he never actually "pulled the red handle". No matter, sad situation.

Not knowing anything else about this, that would be my guess.

I thought the energy to rip those cords through the fiberglass came from the chute opening, maybe deployed too low??

Another sad day. May He Rest In Peace.

Witnesses says he did pull the Chute at tree-top level.

His max reported altitude was 475 ft before he started going down. I wonder if he was waiting for 600 ft to be able to pull and since he was not able to reach that, he hesitated.

His max reported altitude was 475 ft before he started going down. I wonder if he was waiting for 600 ft to be able to pull and since he was not able to reach that, he hesitated.

I wonder if that low it's best to pitch for best glide and fly to the ground.

Yes, it looks like the chute pull was too low. Depending on the year you have to be a solid 500' AGL to give the chute time to open

Looks like there was a lot of energy in that crash.
Yeah, ouch. If anyone has not seen a youtube of a Cirrus chute deployment it is worth a watch. When it first opens the plane dips down quite dramatically until the chute opens. If he pulled the chute too low, which it appears he may have, then you'll almost certainly pick up some velocity first

The Cirrus checklist is very diligent about this and they hammer it home in your training. In the model I fly the CAPS minimum AGL is 400'.. so coming out of MYF if we're below that the procedure is best glide speed and basically land straight ahead where it is most practical

GA is very dangerous fly safe

#dangerous

That's a pretty dense industrial area where he went down. Might have been a few empty parking lots that early in the morning.

That's a pretty dense industrial area where he went down. Might have been a few empty parking lots that early in the morning.
Really sad.

I always think 52 freeway after 500 feet AGL.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

As dangerous as riding a motorcycle. Power loss under 500' - Best glide - Look for the best option within 45 deg. left ot right - At least you have some control.
Too bad.

Yeah but parking lots are often full of lamp posts and other obstructions too.

Given that maybe just try to shear a wing off or both if possible. Easy to say I know.

If that's the only option then I'll take it and hopefully sacrifice the wings to save my neck.

From the N number, that was almost a brand new airplane. Registration issued November 29, 2017.

Interesting he made the same flight yesterday but this time departed on 05 rather than 10L given the metar at the time.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Just like skydiving, you pull the chute but continue to fly your body through the deployment. What does Cirrus say? Seems you should fly the plane until the chute renders the controls null.

If that's the only option then I'll take it and hopefully sacrifice the wings to save my neck.
Agreed. There is a chance that I'll miss a lamp post, but I'm not gonna miss the Earth. Sometimes you don't get a good option.

Just a bad deal all around and not the first fatal EFATO in a Cirrus in recent history, RIP/Condolences.

I think these are an opportunity/reminder for us to really refocus the mindset on that takeoff / low / slow sequence, set the mental spring and assume this is the one where your number is punched and be mentally set for where you are going / what you are doing. If this just helps a few of us survive a future situation then this fellow aviator did not die in vain.

Even then in a single (or a twin being operated in a way where the second engine is nearly useless in a given set of conditions), there are situations in which your options may be sub-optimal, and none of us really know how we will react (except for those of you who have already had EFATO and survived), but mental preparation and visualization should help with the "WTF?!?!" moment when it happens and cut down on that critical "YGTBFKM" mental processing window.

A few times during the year, Pages 17-2 thru 17-6 of the Airplane Flying Handbook are always good to go back to as a reminder that we want to destroy as much of the plane as possible in order to survive the Gs that kill..

Destroy it very purposefully as a pilot, rather than hoping for the best as second-in-command to that beeotch.

Easy to say, probably very hard to do.

Just like skydiving, you pull the chute but continue to fly your body through the deployment. What does Cirrus say? Seems you should fly the plane until the chute renders the controls null.

When that red handle gets pulled the pilot has already made a (conscious?) decision to stop flying the plane.

Last edited:
That is not a good place for the fan to retire.

Just remember if you have a bunch on industrial buildings and no other options, several people have just landed in the roof. At least you will have a little control and dissipate energy slowly, rather all of a sudden and nose first

Always brief the takeoff. If the mill takes a dump you should already know what you're going to do.

Although I've told myself many times that early on in the departure I will fly straight ahead and NOT stall the airplane I haven't ever really made semi concrete altitude notations where my decisions might change. This is something I should work out mentally and acknowledge on every departure. I know each airport / terrain is different but there should be some general criteria to start from. At my home drone I know departing on 22 I've got a big softball complex / road and and on 04 I've got a highway and some decent pastures. Shame on me for not recognizing specific altitudes where the options change.

Always brief the takeoff. If the mill takes a dump you should already know what you're going to do.
This. Know your possible landing sites and the procedure to take.

I used to tell myself during the first 1k ft of the climbout- ‘it’s going to quit, where am I going?’

Sounds corny but it kept my plan of action at first thought in case something went wrong. I was always glad when it didn’t quit though.

It is. When you pull the chute and the explosive charge goes, you lose all control of the aircraft and you wait for the chute to deploy and fill the canopy. That takes a few hundred feet (even more if you have the older chute). There is at least one video on youtube of a chute deployment filmed by the USCG when a ferry pilot ran out of gas and had to deploy over the ocean. He had plenty of altitude and it worked fine for him, but the time it took for the chute to become effective was very sobering and the airplane was falling nose down the entire time. Imagine that at 400' AGL.

Now, I believe that chute was the older style chute and the newer ones don't need as much altitude. Still, below 500' is pushing it even with the new chutes.

Fearless -you have it backwards. The new 65 ft parachutes take about 620 feet from level flight deployment to fully inflated while the older 55 ft (pre G3 Cirrus) take about 500 ft.

Fearless -you have it backwards. The new 65 ft parachutes take about 620 feet from level flight deployment to fully inflated while the older 55 ft (pre G3 Cirrus) take about 500 ft.
Really. Why did they make it worse?

Were the earlier models (say 15 years ago) worse?

Wonder why he departed from 5. He would have been in much better shape from 10L.

Really. Why did they make it worse?

Were the earlier models (say 15 years ago) worse?

Wasn't there a gross weight increase about that same time, to improve useful load? Which resulted in a bigger canopy, ...

Back