aviationweather.gov

Really? It must be me then. I can barely ever get to the site!

worked for me just now...

I'm so jealous...I'm so surprised. It never connects. Rest of the internet: okay.

works for me and I used it heavily this weekend with no issues. not sure if it will make a difference, but try http not https.

I could be wrong but,

Your link was going to the Aviation Weather Center Page that loaded a large map of the US with a lot of weather information to load.

My link was to the Aviation Digital Data Service home page. It does not have a large map on it but links to some of their services.

It works! What's the difference there...

Yeah, use ADDS. It always works for me.

I frequently have trouble accessing aviationweather.gov, but a few refreshes and a few minutes later is usually all it takes. Probably something on their end. I haven't noticed if the ADDS site exhibits the same behavior.

I usually only use it for the METARs and TAFs. If that is all you are looking for you can go to baseops.net and there is a box to type in all the identifiers you want and it will populate all the METARs and TAFs from ADDS. I think it is easier than going through the new aviationweather.gov site.

I've had similar issues and it could be related to the way URLs map to the site.

anyone else been getting errors in aviationweather.gov over this past week?

An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference #97.b876b9d0.1499978120.64c72e32

tried 2 computers, 2 browsers.

Another difference in the link was the WWW.
Believe it or not, there are still some Internet page owners out there who do not understand how domains and domain lookups work.
So if XYZ.com doesn't work, try www.XYZ.com or even www.XYZ.com:80.
I believe AOPA used to be guilty of this as well. :)

can't get to aviationweather.gov on 2 diff browsers, 2 different pc's. anyone else? figured I'd revive a thread from 2014 just for fun.

maybe it's from all the PoAers checking the weather for this Saturday!
Could be :) But I'll admit I never use it. I use foreflight briefing and avwxworkshops.com briefing

I just tried and got a different error page - complaining KBJC not a legal entry. Then when I backed up to home page and entered KBJC in the search box, I got the correct page, but "no info available"...

so far I'm in and no errors but we'll see........

I swear this is one of the most unreliable sites on the internet. It seems to go down for 10-20 minutes at a time on a regular basis, now this. Sad.

Fair warning: while the website is up and running, it isn't displaying data as expected.
Looking at prog charts, for example, they are outdated. BE CAREFUL and check the timestamp on the charts to verify you are looking at the right one.

"URGENT!
AviationWeather.gov has been required by DHS to institute HTTPS and HSTS protocols immediately.
Please visit the NEWS page for more information."

I think this coincided with the last outage. might be another one tomorrow.

And why do the silly monkeys at Dpt of Homeland Silliness get to dictate how the Ynternet is run?
Also, how can something as simple screw up the server for days? We can switch server traffic transparently with 0 downtime. But then again, we employ professionals. :)

They need it secure. You can't just have that weather data going out there in the internets unprotected. :eek:

Last edited:
They need it secure. You can't just have that weather data going out there in the internets unprotected. :eek:
They have weather out in the open, they broadcast it on unsecured TV channels, you can read about it in the unsecured news-paper.
We better secure all weather webpages. They are more dangerous than nukular launch codes, y'know.

Back