Window tinting

6t6

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
North Bound
Anybody ever heard of window tinting in aeroplanes?

We went through this and decided to only use production tinted windows for the front, pilot side, and copilot side.

Those further back we used film tint. This was on a Cherokee Six, FYI.

Right, that what I was thinking but I have a 6 window PA-30. It's like a greenhouse in the Summer months...

use the search function, several threads on it. also a dude on mooneyspace (might also be here) documented his work step by step. relatively easy 'upgrade'.

I will add. We removed the other windows and tinted them on the workbench. Then reinstalled them. All under the A&P supervision.

I wouldn't advise an auto guy knocking it up in there. Much less DIY.

We've got 16 months of all temps and no bubbles or stuff you see see on bad tint jobs.

It's less expensive than replacing all the windows, but going cheap will just look... like you went cheap.

use the search function, several threads on it. also a dude on mooneyspace (might also be here) documented his work step by step. relatively easy 'upgrade'.

I did the search and found a wealth of information, thanks

Never considered tinting. I used to have one of these aopa winkydink sun visors that I'd use from time to time.

G&D Aero
Custom window inserts. Not cheap but fantastic

You can use static cling film also but do not use the kind that has adhesive

Just as another option, when we did our photo window on the passenger side of the 182, the company with numerous STCs for their window replacements had a tint option for almost all of their product line.

We didn’t want it tinted, but if you’re replacing a crazed or otherwise damaged window, the replacements can often be bought with built in tint.

Solar grey for everyything except the windscreen glass.

We used the cling window tint on the club Bonanza. It is awesome.

Trace the outside of the opposite side window, cut it out, and place it on the inside of the other side.

It takes a couple of hours, but it is well worth it.

Use the limo blackout. It looks dark looking in, but looking out it is very clear.

Attachments

• N149G.JPG
    N149G.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 27
We used the cling window tint on the club Bonanza. It is awesome.

Trace the outside of the opposite side window, cut it out, and place it on the inside of the other side.

It takes a couple of hours, but it is well worth it.

Use the limo blackout. It looks dark looking in, but looking out it is very clear.

just curious why you'd trace one window but put it on the other window. why not trace the outside of window A and put it on the inside of window A?

I have a Saratoga. I tinted my back glass with the cling on from auto zone. $20 and a couple hours. I laid it on the outside and traced the outline with a pen. Cut it out with scissors. Cleaned the inside and wet it down with soapy water. Applied cling on tint and squeegeed it out.

From 2’ away you can see a tiny bubble or piece of lint. At 10’ it looks perfect.

Drastic reduction in summer heat in the cabin. Going on 2 years. Still looks like the day I put it on.

Back